Brave

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Brave

Post by EricJ » June 27th, 2012, 1:26 pm

James wrote:And in this case the biggest plot element was a complete surprise to me. The decision to not make that part of the marketing had to be deliberate and...
...that may have been why they changed the title.
Uh, think it had more to do with the sudden unmarketability of "The (...) and the (...)" titles, for obvious reasons--
Not to mention a new emphasis on all-audience action after Brenda Chapman was kicked off the direction for making the story too girl-power.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by TitusTodd » July 6th, 2012, 2:01 am

I enjoyed the characters and the visuals. I have to agree the story seemed to be a retread of others done before.

Anything shown during the credits (I hate that this is such a habit with so many movies these days)? Our theater lost power at the end and while they made sure we saw the end of the movie, they stopped it as the credits started since the power outage last about 15-20 minutes.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » July 6th, 2012, 7:45 am

Yes, there's something after the credits:
the guard who gets his mustache cut in half by the boys is woken up on guard duty by the witch's crow. He's there to deliver hundreds of the wood carvings that Merida ordered alongside her fat changing wish.
I liked the movie a lot. I can sort of see why a lot of reviewers aren't into it as much. Because most of the not-so-great to bad reviews are from guys. And this is very much a movie that will connect to girls a lot more because of the mother daughter relationship.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 6th, 2012, 1:30 pm

And as one article pointed out, for those who spot such things, yes, the traditional Pizza Planet truck and hidden cameo by the next Pixar movie (Monsters U) do show up in ancient Scotland:
http://www.insidethemagic.net/2012/07/b ... dden-gems/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 17th, 2012, 3:51 pm

In a piece for a New York Times series on How Can Women Gain Influence in Hollywood?, Chapman blames the “Hollywood Boy’s Club” who don’t want to “give up some of their seats for the ladies”. She went on to talk about her feelings on being replaced: “When Pixar took me off of Brave – a story that came from my heart, inspired by my relationship with my daughter – it was devastating… To have it taken away and given to someone else, and a man at that, was truly distressing on so many levels”.
Can't remember whether it was on this thread, but think I pretty much called it when Chapman was originally kicked off the project:
She picks a "girl power" project ("I'll be fightin' for mah OWN hand!"), and then plays the "Persecuted female director's" card and blames the "Old Boy's Club" when the studio thinks she's skewing the story too far and it has limited appeal. (She complains about not being "respected" as a director, and then uses a metaphor about gentlemen not giving her a seat on a bus?--Do I detect a certain double standard, here?)
Brenda, you got the job because everyone respected Prince of Egypt, and now your little social-entitlement tantrum just BLEW it. Take it over back to Dreamworks; they've been smooching up to the feminist audience ever since they found out only female audiences liked the princess-bashing in the Shrek movies.

Wasn't that excited about the final product, but at the time, I had more respect for Pixar's story department knowing how to give their stories more universal appeal by finding the common appeal in the main character as a character we can sympathize with.
The only time we respect "female directors" is when we DON'T know they're female, and it shouldn't matter anyway. For a second, there, we thought we had a director who knew that. :(