The Tiger King

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

The Tiger King

Post by Josh » July 31st, 2009, 3:25 am

Jim Hill points out that Disney has registered thetigerkingmovie.com. I think it's safe to assume the film has something to do with The Lion King. Perhaps a theatrical sequel from Walt Disney Animation Studios?

I've enjoyed the two Lion King sequels. Still, I've often felt The Lion King deserves a sequel as grand as its predecessor instead of a lower-budgeted direct-to-video film.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 31st, 2009, 3:49 am

(obMeaning of Life: ) A tiger? In Africa??

(Now, if Jeffrey Katzenberg was making a "Tiger King" at Dreamworks, that would be more explainable--Seeing as we've been joking about it for ten years...) :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » July 31st, 2009, 5:46 am

Well, I always thought The Lion King sequels were the only decent direct-to-video Disney cheap-quels. Likely because rather than remake the first film, they simply adapted a different Shakespearean play. So, this might be another case of that.

However, it's way too early to know. For all we know, it could be a live-action/CGI comedy ala G-Force.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » July 31st, 2009, 10:21 am

estefan wrote:Well, I always thought The Lion King sequels were the only decent direct-to-video Disney cheap-quels.
Aladdin and the King of Thieves was good too.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 31st, 2009, 11:38 am

estefan wrote:Well, I always thought The Lion King sequels were the only decent direct-to-video Disney cheap-quels. Likely because rather than remake the first film, they simply adapted a different Shake--
(Ah-ah!...Shh! None of that!)
However, it's way too early to know. For all we know, it could be a live-action/CGI comedy ala G-Force.
How about the Ultimate Ick:
It might be another one of their Disney Nature documentaries? :shock:
(And if that don't traumatize the thread into a standstill, nothing can.)

Besides, when did tigers have the same "monarchic" system that lions had, anyway?...They always seemed like lone self-determined anarchists, Shere Khan included.
(Which sort of emphasizes the whole "Will you stop with the Hamlet thing??", as the original LK's working title suggested that one could be King of the Jungle, rather than its Emperor...)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » July 31st, 2009, 1:03 pm

The Tiger King could indeed be an upcoming documentary from Disneynature. On the other hand, a guy in the talkback section of /Film points out that Tiger King is one of Aesop's Fables.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 31st, 2009, 9:25 pm

Josh wrote:The Tiger King could indeed be an upcoming documentary from Disneynature.
The cutesy-nudge title also fitting in that Disney has a tendency to force its own corporate identification onto "troubled" projects, and that marketing would fall back on obligating us to see it because it's Disney, even if there's not as much returns on a DisneyNature.
(Or that they thought we didn't know they were still making them after "Ocean", and needed to be more aggressive about tying in their studio-branch image and letting us know it was one of "theirs".)

...As everyone else seem to be theorizing, you just don't use a title like that by accident.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 1st, 2009, 11:04 am

I don't think this has <I>anything</I> to do with The Lion King.

The Lion King is an instantly recognisable name...it's its own brand, more than just a movie title. Soon after the release there was a documentary about Al Hirshfield called "The Line King"...nothing to do with the Disney film, but just riffing on the title.

That's what this is doing. I doubt <I>VERY</I> much that Lasseter would okay a theatrical sequel to anything but the Mickey Mouse, Pooh or Fantasia lines, especially since the Lion King has already seen two spin-offs (BTW, only one of those was inspired by a direct Shakespear play, the other by Tom Stoppard).

So this is a knowing nod to the title, but nothing else. It's either a joke title for a G-Force style comedy, or it's for a nature doc or similar. It could even be the Aesop fable (though, I think, doubtful), which was also previously a short made at TerryToons (my thinking is that if it was indeed this, they wouldn't use the same title, as it would look like quite a desperate attempt to capture the lightning). But it's nothing to do with The Lion King.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » August 2nd, 2009, 6:57 am

Sounds more like a hip name for a DisneyNature documentary.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 2nd, 2009, 1:06 pm

Ben wrote:especially since the Lion King has already seen two spin-offs (BTW, only one of those was inspired by a direct Shakespear play, the other by Tom Stoppard).
(And the main one, which was inspired by a stolen Japanese revival-cartoon, because Jeff K. thought we wouldn't notice the serial numbers filed off.) :P

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 3rd, 2009, 11:18 am

Well...and a direct Shakespeare play.