Disney's Frozen

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Disney's Frozen

Post by eddievalient » May 20th, 2014, 7:48 am

Dacey wrote:Pretty nice little story...

http://hellogiggles.com/frozen-director ... goosebumps
Something tells me if she'd made the first draft, it might have actually been decent. Seriously, is she really defending the practice of executive meddling? Really? Head, meet wall.
Last edited by eddievalient on May 20th, 2014, 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » May 20th, 2014, 8:53 am

Executives always mean well. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 20th, 2014, 9:23 am

And "talent" (even creative talent) will always praise their input.

(So that their next film gets a greenlight!)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 20th, 2014, 11:04 am

eddievalient wrote:Something tells me if she'd made the first draft, it might have actually been decent. Seriously, is she really defending the practice of executive meddling? Really? Head, meet wall.
It would have been nice if female director/screenwriters at Pixar had been willing to listen to other cooler heads trying to tame her personal "vision" for wider audiences...
Last edited by EricJ on May 20th, 2014, 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 20th, 2014, 11:19 am

But...vision is *everything*!

(Except when it's blinkered...)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 20th, 2014, 1:55 pm

eddievalient wrote:
Dacey wrote:Pretty nice little story...

http://hellogiggles.com/frozen-director ... goosebumps
Something tells me if she'd made the first draft, it might have actually been decent. Seriously, is she really defending the practice of executive meddling? Really? Head, meet wall.
No. She's defending the process of collaboration. When you "stick to only your own ideas," you end up with the movies that M. Night Shayamalan ends up with these days.

Also, Lee was brought in as a co-director when Disney was happy with her screenwriting work on Wreck-It Ralph. So her "first draft" would not have even been the first draft of the film she was working on.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 21st, 2014, 7:11 am

Dacey wrote:She's defending the process of collaboration.
(And wanting to get her next film a greenlight.) ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 21st, 2014, 2:26 pm

Touche.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Karizma » May 23rd, 2014, 2:45 am

Loved the fairytale ending! =)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » May 25th, 2014, 12:30 pm

Box Office Mojo projects that Frozen has now become the 5th highest grossing movie of all-time worldwide with a present total gross of $1.219 billion, overtaking Iron Man 3, which had $1.215 billion. This is likely the position Frozen will sit at once its theatrical run finishes as the next mark is $1.314 billion held by Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows Part 2 and Japan is essentially the only major market left it is running in.

However, there appears to be a mark Frozen may beat out Harry Potter in. Frozen's current total gross in Japan is $193.7 million, placing it as the 4th highest grossing film of all time in the country (overtaking Miyazaki's films Princess Mononoke and then Howl's Moving Castle). The next mark up is Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, which sits at around $199 million. So Frozen just needs to gross about $6 million over the course of this week and it will be the 3rd highest grossing film in Japan. The next mark up is Titanic, which is not only the 2nd highest grossing film in the country, but also the highest grossing foreign film with around $256.9 million.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » May 27th, 2014, 1:35 am

I finally got this on Blu-ray over the weekend. The image seems a bit 'sharper' than on previous Disney Blus .. but still quite lovely, overall.

I will say, though, that the "Making of Frozen" bonus feature p***ed me off. :evil:

There is no excuse for presenting a cutesy music video (completely devoid of any informative content) instead of an actual peek 'behind-the-scenes'.

I kept finding myself thinking, "wow, this is a long (and stupid) introductory segment" .. and then, when the song was finally over: fade to black, and back to the 'bonus features' menu. I was like :o :shock: :? :cry: :roll:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 27th, 2014, 12:27 pm

Ben wrote:Well for a billion dollar grossing movie the BD they just put out is extremely disappointing. Anyone else expecting that "how did we make Frozen" thing to be the intro to a great doc? How lame was that when it just ended!?
I understand your frustration fully! Although overlong, I was expecting this to be a really fun "making of" that was peppered with songs for a laugh (the press release promised something like a "musical making of"), and I figured that with a billion in the bank and no 3D that Diz was going to treat us to something unusual, different and entertaining. Loved that Lasseter was there singing along, and that they had Bell there...potentially as a musical hostess.

And then...yeah...it just stopped, and I bet a good few million people wondered WTF was that!? :shock:

Hopefully they'll make up for it with the proper deluxe edition earmarked for October...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » May 28th, 2014, 1:34 pm

Seriously, WTF was that???

I first thought it was a long introductory segment as well. I kept sitting there thinking this is kinda stupid, I wonder how much longer it'll go o- wait, what??? That's IT??

It wouldn't have been a big deal if there had actually been a proper "making of" segment elsewhere on the disc. Not cool, Disney. Toying with our expectations like that. :cry:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vernadyn » May 28th, 2014, 3:13 pm

That "Making Of" thing is only a little better than what used to be my favorite Disney DVD bonus feature: "Full-Color Character Artwork On Disc."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 28th, 2014, 5:05 pm

I hit the first post by accident, and read that Alan Menken was composing new songs in 2006 for "The Snow Queen".

(If only. We never get sick of HIS songs.) :(