Disney's Frozen

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Re: Disney's Frozen

Post by Dacey » September 24th, 2014, 4:16 pm

I'm just going to walk away and pretend I understand what that statement has to do with any of this. :?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 25th, 2014, 12:16 am

I understand. The message of the film, and the song, are so universal that everyone seems to be seeing themselves in it.

And that lawsuit is just ridiculous. Hard to believe it's for real.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 25th, 2014, 7:33 am

Yeah. She should just L*t *t G*, right? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 25th, 2014, 11:31 am

Randall wrote:I understand. The message of the film, and the song, are so universal that everyone seems to be seeing themselves in it.=
Also, that the core audience are SO intent on making Elsa (Anna who?) into some sort of inspirational Oprah-like life-guide for their own "personal freedom and independence", the existence of 200-yo. Hans Christian Andersen fairytales don't even occur to them.

That's when it's out of control, and you really have to start questioning what's behind the "billion-dollar popularity" to begin with. If the movie didn't earn it by its own hard work and effort, then there's something wrong.
Meanwhile, we can all sit back safely and laugh at the extreme ends of the fandom making fools of themselves--Yep, it sure doesn't reflect us, does it, we're safe and normal! :lol:

(Oh, and, er...
(quickly hides photo of being hugged by Queen Elsa at WDW last week) :oops:
...What, whaddya lookin' at??)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » November 16th, 2014, 5:36 pm

Target is offering the Sing-Along DVD for free when purchasing at least $50 worth of Frozen merchandise on the same order. It does require a coupon, which can be retrieved at Target.com beginning Tuesday, when the DVD is released. The promo code for Target.com orders is FROZEN and the coupon can also be delivered to one's smartphone by texting FROZEN1 to 827438 (TARGET).

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » December 25th, 2014, 12:29 am

"Frozen Sells All-Time Record of 2.269 Million BD/DVD Sets to Top Spirited Away, Madoka Magica"

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ica/.82603

Frozen looks like it's going to set the home video sales record for most copies of ANY film or TV series disc sold in Japan.

The current record holder is Hayao Miyazaki's "Spirited Away." That's sold through roughly 2.4 million copies as of the last 12 years or so. "Frozen" looks set to beat that in just over a year.

The Japanese home video market is a bit different than the US market... The videos are priced higher and the Japanese home video companies generally price the product to break even with lower sales with a hope that they'll make SOME profit -- it's not like the take-a-slight-loss-at-lower priced-cost - make up in high sales volume tactic they use in the US. While 2.4 million copies has been equalled and beaten in the US many times across 3 different video formats -- VHS, DVD, and Blu ray --, there's relatively few films that have sold over a million copies on home video in Japan and many other countries, period.

It just goes to show that there's a sizeable international market for a decent well-told story featuring a female lead and this is NOT a fluke unlike what some film executives and younger or oblivious movie fans might think. That's very obvious and common sense where I'm concerned... Even if I think half these films are really dopey (that's true with anything else in addition to movies), kids really do need good films with a good heart and moral core.

Some of MY favorite all-time films are 'kid movies'... more than a few do have title character/female leads => The Last Unicorn, Disney's Alice in Wonderland, Pollyanna, the original Parent Trap, etc.

P.S. -- Still haven't gotten around to seeing "Frozen" yet... I have a huge backlog of movies to watch... Maybe in another week or two

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » December 25th, 2014, 2:30 am

GeorgeC wrote:It just goes to show that there's a sizeable international market for a decent well-told story featuring a female lead and this is NOT a fluke unlike what some film executives and younger or oblivious movie fans might think.
OR, that the Japanese are obsessed with anything cute and/or Disney.

(Meanwhile, their own Yokai Watch movie, a craze that's currently out-Pokemon-ing Frozen right now, moved in and took the movie's place, also beating out Big Hero 6.)
P.S. -- Still haven't gotten around to seeing "Frozen" yet... I have a huge backlog of movies to watch... Maybe in another week or two
Ohh, yah--MIGHT wanna do that before cutting and pasting the press praise. :roll:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » December 28th, 2014, 4:21 pm

Frozen was so successful in virtually all areas, it was even the second most pirated movie of the past year. :lol:

Source: http://variety.com/2014/digital/news/to ... 201388403/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » March 12th, 2015, 2:30 pm

I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 12th, 2015, 2:58 pm

TOLD YA!

Sorry. I don't mean to gloat. ;)

Still, TOLD YA!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » March 12th, 2015, 3:30 pm

Disappointed. I could understand a sequel to Big Hero 6 it makes sense from a story point, but Frozen I just don't get. I honestly cannot see where they could go with it. But I don't have to please shareholders so I guess I'm not about chasing money. It's a pity that there is little to no chance that the sequel will fix the terrible Hans twist of the original.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 12th, 2015, 4:35 pm

LotsoA113 wrote:Frozen 2 is confirmed!

http://deadline.com/2015/03/frozen-2-an ... 201391530/
Bob Iger made the announcement just now at the Disney shareholder meeting, where they are showing that Frozen short to stockholders before it goes out tonight in front of the company’s Cinderella in theaters. Frozen co-directors Jennifer Lee and Chris Buck will both be involved in the sequel, Iger says.
I'll believe it when I see an actual quote--
It's plausible (and not in a good way, if they went through with that Epcot ride after all), but I'm not sure whether "the sequel" refers to the short.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 12th, 2015, 4:37 pm

He says they will be returning. Not in the past tense. Also, the film's official Facebook announced the news. And the Epcot ride is still happening.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 12th, 2015, 5:14 pm

Give BH6 a chance for a sequel. Frozen has taken over a year to be confirmed and BH6 is still on international rollout so they'll be a while before they get disc sales it, etc, and confirm that.

But Frozen 2's announcement is pretty historic, opening the gates to a whole new truckload of Disney sequels. In going for, and undoubtedly making more money, the Studio has ironically just been cheapened just that little but more...

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 12th, 2015, 5:23 pm

Well, it won't be happening for a long time (2018 at the earliest, although 19 is probably more likely). And since we've heard Wreck-It Ralph sequel discussions for a while, I wouldn't be surprised if that's gonna be officially announced at Disney D23 this summer (especially since that was expected at the last convention, what with JL coyly wearing a Wreck-It Ralph shirt to the event).

It does seem, though, that BH6 was made with "franchise in mind" with the "happy but very open ending" and everything But I still see this has only happening for a few things. Seriously, a Frozen sequel was never not going to happen, as I said after a certain point, but I don't think this means we're going to get a "Princess and the Frog 2" anytime in the near future.