SPIDEY 4 becomes AMAZING becomes Marvel's SPIDER-MAN

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Re: SPIDEY 4 becomes AMAZING SPIDER MAN

Post by Dan » December 13th, 2014, 2:04 pm

The latest as a result of the Sony hacks is that the two sides have been considering a 60/40 deal. Sony would get the 40 percent, where they get the distribution end of the deal (thereby getting a good chunk of the profits, similar to what they did with Universal for Hulk), but Disney/Marvel gets 60 percent and control of development and creative. What's more, there's talk that when (at this point its no longer looking like a question of if, but when) Disney/Marvel gets control of Spider-Man, Andrew Garfield will not be asked back.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 13th, 2014, 8:36 pm

I think Disney wanting to start fresh with a new (and younger) actor are pretty much a given, whatever happens. Surprised that Sony would get the smaller share, though, for giving the character back as well as creative control. To all intents and purposes they could keep making Spidey flicks and annoy Disney, although this does work out best for both sides. Sony have what Disney want, though, so a split in Sony's favor would make more sense. Then again, they probably know just how huge these could be...

Still, glad I never really got on board the Garfield non-"trilogy" and end up with two films in a series that will now probably not be given an ending. At least the Raimi threesome concluded the various open story strands...now we will likely never know what the Richard Parker (not the tiger) connection was going to be... Ho-hum...

;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 14th, 2014, 1:36 am

I would like to see the trilogy concluded. It would be annoying to leave it hanging. And Garfield did well in the role. It's the suits that really killed things.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » December 14th, 2014, 12:23 pm

My thing with Garfield is that, while his acting suited the Amazing films, it's not the Spider-Man I knew and grew up with. The emo attributes were highlighted way too much, which doesn't fit Peter at all (he pushes himself to rise above the occasion, no matter how badly he fails). And I'm of the opinion that Marvel/Disney is of the same feeling if they don't want to ask him back when they take control of the films.

I still think Maguire was the better largely because he had a director who understood Peter in Raimi and was thus able to capture the proper characteristics just right.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 14th, 2014, 1:57 pm

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 14th, 2014, 2:28 pm

So, they basically have no clue. No news there. ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » December 14th, 2014, 2:55 pm

Robinov using James Bond to justify some of his points, in particular the idea of another reboot, I found to be a real head-shaker. I do, though, think he's on point with wanting to see Peter mature (my concern with reverting the rights back to Marvel is their insistence that Petey stay a teenager) and using Kraven's Last Hunt as a storyline he'd like to make happen, noting a lot of what made the story so great in the first place. Still, him merely talking about it makes it all moot.

But it's clear that everyone not knowing what to do with Spider-Man makes it all that much more depressing as a fan.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » December 15th, 2014, 11:41 am

Lord Akiyama wrote:and using Kraven's Last Hunt as a storyline he'd like to make happen, noting a lot of what made the story so great in the first place. Still, him merely talking about it makes it all moot.

But it's clear that everyone not knowing what to do with Spider-Man makes it all that much more depressing as a fan.
Sony's in Dreamworks' position of finding out that their tentpole "franchise" isn't really a franchise after all after the sequel didn't deliver, suddenly realizing they don't know what they're going to do with themselves for the next five years they had already planned out, and panicking.
That said, Kraven would have been my pick (a less distracted Venom reboot would have been my second), and while I didn't know the Last Hunt arc up until now, it does sound like a perfect movie sum-up of the character mixed with the movies' attempt to find a thematic united "trilogy".
The Richard Parker Conspiracy thread wasn't really going anywhere (and the sequel sank it), so the "What makes the hero?" theme does seem like their screenwriters could handle it to wrap things up, and still keep Kraven "plausible" enough for the real world...Although I'm not sure how they've changed his 70's Village People costume since then. ;)

Not to mention the obvious point that Garfield's Spiderman uses the comic's convention of artificial web-shooters, so it would have been hard to have anyone "imitate" Spidey in the Raimi canon.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 15th, 2014, 8:30 pm

Sony is desperate, period!

Or else we wouldn't be hearing about a possible Men In Black/Jump Street crossover movie... :roll:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » December 18th, 2014, 10:08 pm

I can only imagine Sony is going to get even more desperate with Spider-Man as the fall out of The Interview starts to build. I doubt any good is coming out of this.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » December 19th, 2014, 1:16 am

Ben wrote:Sony is desperate, period!

Or else we wouldn't be hearing about a possible Men In Black/Jump Street crossover movie... :roll:
But that's the only three Brandname Franchises they HAVE!

(Unless Spiderman starts teaming up with the Smurfs...
And too bad they ended the Resident Evil series, there could have been a nice Hotel Transylvania crossover there.)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 19th, 2014, 1:20 am

The Resident Evil series isn't over.

Plus, although they share it with MGM, Sony does also have James Bond....
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » December 19th, 2014, 2:47 pm

Dacey wrote:Plus, although they share it with MGM, Sony does also have James Bond....
Good point, James Bond could team up with the Smurfs. :lol:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 19th, 2014, 6:03 pm

Okay, well, somebody had to do this...

Dr Smurf
From Russia With Smurf
Smurfinger
Thundersmurf
You Only Smurf Twice
On Her Majesty's Secret Smurfice
Diamonds Smurf Forever
Live And Let Smurf
The Man With The Golden Smurf
The Smurf Who Loved Me
Smurfraker
For Smurf Eyes Only
Smurfpussy
A View To A Smurf
The Living Smurflights
Licence To Smurf
GoldenSmurf
Tomorrow Never Smurfs
The Smurf Is Not Enough
Smurf Another Day
Smurfino Royale
Quantum Of Smurf
Smurffall
S.M.U.R.F.

Yes, I could see how that could work... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 19th, 2014, 6:07 pm

LOL Ben!! :lol:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!