SPIDEY 4 becomes AMAZING becomes Marvel's SPIDER-MAN

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Re: SPIDEY 4 becomes AMAZING SPIDER MAN

Post by Dacey » July 2nd, 2014, 11:34 am

Honestly, I'm not even sure if I'll be getting this movie...and it comes out right before my birthday, so it would be easy for me to get "for free." But the more I think about it, the more I realize what a bad taste it left in my mouth.

Then again, there is the whole "wanting all the Spider-Man movies in my collection" thing, so... :roll:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 3rd, 2014, 12:09 am

I collect all these types of films. Not gonna stop now.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 4th, 2014, 7:27 am

Sure, you know I love special packaging, but this is just a conveyor belt factory product of the worst kind (it's not a "bad" film, it's just nothing spectacular or, urm, amazing) and it doesn't really warrant this kind of set. Maybe as a trilogy or a sextet when all the films are done, then go mental with an all-in cool package for the fans that loved it all, but this just does seem a blatant attempt to lure in the weaker of the fanboys...

;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 11th, 2014, 10:35 pm

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 12th, 2014, 1:42 am

Ever hear of the mythical "Franchise-killer"?
As it turns out, some Blu-ray fans already have Jamie Foxx's head on a platter. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 20th, 2014, 8:04 pm

It still cracks me up that $700m is a flop!

They just made an overeager movie! Learn from it and lean down the next one...but they won't, as they think bigger and bigger is better. Audience fatigue came from having three/four villains in this one...and they can't see that this is a problem with no less than six?

Plus, as I said before, every Spider-Man movie is the same! It's the same picture every time...no new locations as per Bond, no different take other than what's basically from the comics...and the audience has been to the well five times now...they're not going to keep paying to see the same movie over and over. They need to inject a freshness - somehow - into Spidey on film, not just try and make each one bigger...!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » July 20th, 2014, 11:09 pm

I forget which site, but there was a place that analyzed why ASM2 is a box office disappointment (not so much a bomb, but not the success Sony wanted or even needed it to be).

They broke down the numbers like this: The budget was around $200-$250 million. Marketing is considered to be around $180-$190 million. So when you factor in the cost for marketing, Sony spent around or more than $400 million on ASM2. So far in North America, the film has grossed $201 million. The foreign grosses have been $504 million. A key point the site points out is that Sony does not get all of the foreign grosses, merely a percentage. How much is dependent upon the country, an example being that Sony gets only around 75% of the grosses in China (if I read it correctly). And this is not counting how much they have to fork over to Marvel for the licensing. So while ASM2 grossed $705 million world wide, it's not the box office hit Sony was hoping for because they're not making back enough money given all that they spent in making and marketing the film.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 23rd, 2014, 3:04 pm

ASM 3 has been pushed back until 2018, while Sinister Six, somehow, will actually come out two years beforehand in November 2016.

Oh, goody. :roll:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 23rd, 2014, 4:43 pm

Can we really see Garfield still in the role by then? Maybe ASM3 will become the next Spidey reboot...! ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 5th, 2014, 6:15 am

So now Sony's waking up to realize that every Spidey movie is the same - and that Sinister Six won't change the testosterone led levels in the franchise - and have announced a "female spin-off" for the series.

Speculation is rife, but it looks as if Black Cat, who is semi-kinda set up in Not-So-Amazing 2, is going to be the breakout lead for this, since Sony don't have rights to Spider-Woman/Girl, and other potentials are supporting characters at best. I'm guessing this will see Black Cat start off good before turning bad, so that she can be a villain in Not-So-Amazing 3 or 4...

Then again, this is obviously Sony's desperation starting to creep in here, and any live-action spin-off is likely to be mistaken by the wider public as another Catwoman type feature. Sony, at this point, can't really do anything with Spidey and are clinging at straws when they should just accept that they had a good run and let the character revert back to Marvel (or work out an "early settlement" with Disney to co-pro or benefit from some kind of residuals).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 5th, 2014, 10:18 pm

Ben wrote:Then again, this is obviously Sony's desperation starting to creep in here, and any live-action spin-off is likely to be mistaken by the wider public as another Catwoman type feature.
And Elektra type feature.
And Black Widow spinoff type feature.
And Halle Berry spinoff from the 007 that they didn't get to make, until it got confused with the Catwoman spinoff type feature. :roll:

The reason we got Elektra, after Fox wanted to rationalize making another Daredevil, and Marvel started talking about a Black Widow spinoff after Iron Man 2, is exactly what you said: Desperation.
When producers realize they'd be foolish to go ahead with that sequel they were thinking of, want to hedge their marketing bets, and misogynistically fall back on the same comic-geek stereotype--"They only liked the sexy babe anyway!"
Non-Marvel Fox, expected it; DC, wouldn't rule it out, but now Sony, now that they've played at superhero franchises and lost? The last-ditch Babe Excuse is starting to become inevitable.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » October 19th, 2014, 6:40 pm

So the latest rumor speculation is that we could be seeing a soft reboot of the franchise through Sinister Six with Petey getting recast.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 19th, 2014, 6:57 pm

If that's REALLY the case, with Sony already rebooting the reboot, they should just throw in the towel and admit to themselves that this isn't working. The next time I see a new actor playing Spider-Man, I want for him to be in a Disney movie. But it looks like that won't happen...ever at the rate we're going.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Aunt May the Movie is Coming!

Post by gaastra » November 11th, 2014, 8:53 am

http://www.latino-review.com/news/exclu ... -may-movie

This is going to be a blockbuster!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Aunt May the Movie is Coming!

Post by Ben » November 11th, 2014, 9:35 am

Somebody ask nice for Sony to give Marvel back their barrel, please.