Nothing's: Impossible - M:I-4 on the way with Cruise

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 8th, 2011, 4:10 pm

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vernadyn » December 18th, 2011, 4:54 pm

I saw it, and thought it was just superb entertainment. I enjoyed this summer's superhero films (except Green Lantern), but this is certainly the best action film of the year--especially in terms of direction. I hope Brad Bird gets more freedom to create 1906 and other projects after this. As far as the story goes, it's not quite as polished as the scripts for Bird's other three films, but it's good as Mission: Impossible movies go. Interestingly, Christopher McQuarrie's name was removed in the final credits (the main credit sequence, by the way, is fantastic, though obviously CG heavy). There's not much insight into the villain, and the characters overall are not as rich as those in Iron Giant, Incredibles, and Ratatouille. But Cruise is watchable, and supporting players Pegg, Patton, and Renner all do fine jobs.

Most of the action sequences are less over-the-top than the previous installments, though there are a couple of good set pieces. Bird clearly knows how to stage and shoot action, building tension and letting the audience know where the participants are relative to each other. But the film is not all action and explosions, and there are plenty of sequences that rely more on suspense. There's a healthy dose of humor too, especially regarding the various gadgets the team uses.

Michael Giacchino's score is slightly slower-paced than his score for M:I 3, but he does offer enormous themes for each location the team travels through. He uses the cliches of male choir for Russia, sweeping desert Lawrence of Arabia music for Dubai, and Bollywood dance music (complete with vocals and electronic beats) for Mumbai to entertaining effect.

Although this is Bird's "worst" film, that's only in comparison with the high standards of his others, and it is still highly entertaining and my favorite Mission: Impossible film so far (I also liked the first and third entries). I know one can't always trust critics, but its 95% rating on Rotten Tomatoes is impressive, especially given the kind of film it is. I will be seeing it again soon!