X-Men Movies Thread

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 20th, 2010, 11:16 pm

Pretty stoked about this...and yet I'm not. I want an "X-Men 4," darnit!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: X-Men: First Class

Post by ShyViolet » March 21st, 2010, 12:56 am

Me too...I'm also getting really tired of these prequels. It's less work for them because that way they can just tread the same old ground with nothing original to say.

Update!
Singer might not be directing after all:

http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/theg ... ed-to.html

According to the story it's more likely that he'll take the "godfather" role of watching over the film rather than directing it. (Like Nolan and Superman). There's also a possibility of him doing Wolverine 2.

So little originality...I mean X-Men 3 already was a prequel...we saw Charles and Erik younger and recruiting Jean Gray...we've already seen Bobby and Pyro and Rogue younger. And what about
the ending with Charles still alive and Magneto getting back his powers?
It's also really surprising to me that X-Men will get a reboot when the last film came out less than 4 years ago. And that the Wolverine prequel came out 2 years ago.

Wolverine 2 will no doubt keep Hugh Jackman and therefore take place in another universe than the X-Men reboot, since they've already said they're using different actors. Confusing, isn't it? :?

This might sound a little strange but in some ways I think prequels/reboots are the new sequels, though of course sequels are still prevalent. In some ways sequels are a lot of work because they involve story issues and continuity questions and getting back the actors. Prequels make everything easier...you can start from scratch with unknowns who don't get paid as much, not have to worry about "what happened in the last movie", but at the same time you don't have to do anything original either, because the story has no doubt been done before, or at least sketched out in some form.

For all we know, the Star Trek series might get another reboot in 3 years. I know it sounds insane because the first did so well, but I don't think it's impossible.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 22nd, 2010, 10:10 am

Well, look at the Hulk movies. The first one was less than five years old and they basically rebooted the series!

And yes, while it's a good point, you can't really say prequels are the new sequels because they always have been. The first prequels came about when the established stars of a successful project didn't want to come back or demanded too much money.

Fox wanted Newman and Redford to reprise their Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid roles (even though there would have had to have been some story contrivances!) but they wanted too much dough. Presto: we get younger, less expensive actors in Butch And Sundance: The Early Years!

Actually, The Early Years quickly became something of a Hollywood joke title: everything suddenly was in line for a The Early Years treatment. At the end of the day, it's all about brands and franchises. And it doesn't matter who is the face or who's running it. "Spider-Man" is Spider-Man, Superman is Superman...no matter - in the Studio's eyes - if it's Raimi or someone else calling the shots, or Nolan, or Christopher Reeve...at the end of the day they can all be replaced, but the brand lives on.

It's odd to be thinking about reboots for films that are less than ten (or twenty!) years old, but that's what's happened with the franchise approach. It doesn't matter if we don't get Tobey web-slinging in the next Spidey film...the point is that we'll see a guy who can shoot webs and crawl walls. Likewise with the X-Mens. As long as there's a struggle between mutants then the audience will have gotten its fix. And everything is so disposable nowadays that the Studios don't really care about continuations...just slap an "X-Men" logo on it and audiences will know what they are in for (basically, more of the same).

Welcome to the new Hollywood way of packaging franchise titles. X-Men is interesting because it looks like it will be the first to start up competing movie series based on the same property. Or maybe Aliens Vs Predators was the first to start that, with new "straight" Aliens and Predators movies also on the way.

At the end of the day, it just proves that if a property is thought to be in with a chance of making money, they'll exploit it six ways 'till Sunday, leave a dead carcass and then come back to it in ten or twenty years. We're gushing about Nolan's Batman at the moment, but he's intonated that 3 will be his last. We can be sure that WB won't let that lie, so let's start betting on a 2020 reboot now, along with further prequels or spin-off for Harry Potter too.

After all, originals, prequels, sequels, spin-offs...they're all valid parts of a franchise puzzle. And it's been going on since the blockbuster began - remember that Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom was practically both! A continuation of the Indy character, but set three years earlier so that they could go with pre-war, non-Nazi villains. It kind of works, but then why have Indy reach for his gun in an echo of the shooting the swordsman highlight of the first film only to find - this time - it isn't there? Because it ultimately doesn't matter in a franchise scenario...films, casts and crews are as interchangeable as they need to be to keep a brand going.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 12th, 2011, 4:45 am

I realize this topic is kind of old but there was never much discussion about this film or its quality, so I just thought it might make a good topic. I enjoyed it a lot, especially the performances of the two leads, but didn't find it to be a "great" film, just a good one. The young mutants discovering their powers/finding names scenes kind of grated on me too. A little too much "winking" at the audience, if that makes sense.

I loved all the scenes with Erik and Charles however, although Kevin Bacon kind of overdid it.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vernadyn » December 14th, 2011, 2:34 pm

First Class and X2 are my favorite X-Men films. Matthew Vaughn is becoming one of my favorite new directors, and he has yet to disappoint me. McAvoy and Fassbender were indeed very good, and the action was well-conceived and directed. I remember that certain comic fans on the web were convinced that this film would suck and be even worse than X-Men 3, even giving First Class a nickname that will not be repeated here. Although Vaughn's previous three films were all great, I was a little worried about whether he would transition to the mainstream smoothly (unlike David Gordon Green and Wolgang Petersen, among others). But Vaughn delivered a solid and entertaining film with moments of greatness.

Henry Jackman's score has grown on me as well, and with this, Gulliver's Travels, Winnie the Pooh, Puss in Boots, and his contributions to Kick-Ass, he has proved himself a composer to watch. It's interesting to watch his interview on the Blu-ray, where he mentions that his themes were originally a lot more complex before Vaughn asked him to simplify them. I think he did a pretty good job.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 15th, 2011, 12:28 am

I actually just watched this on the weekend with some buddies. We all really enjoyed it. It was way better than I ever figured it would turn out, with only a couple of eye-rolling moments in amongst the genuine excitement. Way better than X1 or X3, and comparable to X2.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 15th, 2011, 9:07 am

It exceeded my expectations as well, especially how well Xavier's character was handled. It also actually made the Magneto-Xavier/friends-enemies thing interesting again even after it was done to death in X3 (and apparently 3's cliffhanger indicated that more was to follow in X4). Great job! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 25th, 2013, 11:04 pm

Just read on digital spy that there will be quite a few changes done to the Days of Future Past storyline.
Figures. Oh, and of course, MORE Magneto. *sigh* :roll:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 28th, 2013, 6:17 pm

There's no such thing as too much Magneto, Vi. ;)

The Wolverine trailer:

Looks epic...I mean, yeah, Origins did too, but still...I'm feeling optimistic about this one.

But come to think of it, shouldn't the title be changed to "X=Men: The Wolverine" instead? You know, to make sure the audience doesn't get confused. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 28th, 2013, 6:31 pm

Yes there is Dacey...when there's NEVER ANY OTHER villain! ;) *

Anyway, all these sequels and prequels are really confusing to me too. I'd love to see a story with the Summers brothers (Scott and Alex) or maybe *breaths deeply* the Age of Apocolypse storyline, where Xavier is long dead and Magneto is good. Now THAT would be A-MA-ZING! :)

Sorry about not commenting on the trailer but unfortunately I can't download it. :(

*I realize there was Kevin Bacon's guy in First Class but thought he was pretty lame overall...at least compared to what he could have been...just not "grandiose" enough. :? And with all of his "we are the next stage of human evolution" business he was basically a stand-in for Magneto anyway.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 5th, 2013, 3:15 pm

Ugh....

http://screenrant.com/x-men-days-future ... ary-jones/

Not wanting to make this into a Singer-bashing thread, but this all but confirms that he has no interest into making this a sequel to First Class. :roll:

Now let's just wait and see if he'll give Rogue her powers back (not just in the alternate timeline, but changing things so it doesn't happen in the other one as well). Then I'll really get mad. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 5th, 2013, 4:39 pm

Definitely. Plus I guess it'll be quite some time before we see her bond with Mystique and get super strength and flying powers. :?

EDIT: I meant that I hope Rogue does get her powers back, plus the ones she had in the comics.

Plus, does anyone remember the character Morph from the cartoon (based on Changeling in the comics)?
This might sound weird but even though his appearance was relatively brief he is probably my all-time favorite mutant. They ended up incoporating him into the comics later on, particularly in The Age Of Apocalypse storyline. Weird since he was originally written into Night of The Sentinels with the express purpose of being killed off (to establish the new show's serious tone). It would be beyond awesome if he was brought into the films.

Also, very glad to read that teleporter Blink will be joining the team! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 5th, 2013, 5:11 pm

Interesting blog interview with Hugh Jackman:

Also, apparently John Ottman will be returning to score the film. I'm actually glad about this, in general I always thought he was pretty good. (I LOVE The Usual Suspects score.)

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/04/05/x ... h-jackman/

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 5th, 2013, 5:37 pm

EDIT: I meant that I hope Rogue does get her powers back, plus the ones she had in the comics.
What I meant is that I hope Rouge doesn't get her powers back. Under any circumstances. Her power was keeping her from being close to anyone, and since she never wanted to use it to kill a villain, ultimately kept her isolated in all ways. Plus she chose it. It's what works for the character. Would it make sense for some of the other X-Men? No. But for Rogue, a non-violent person, it's a good ending for her.

Now I'm not against her having them in the "alternate timeline" or whatever...but if they change the timeline so that she never gives them up at all, then I'm already dissapointed in advance.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 5th, 2013, 5:47 pm

Oh, OK, I get it now. I see your point. :)