X-Men Movies Thread

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: X-Men Movies Thread

Post by ShyViolet » September 4th, 2018, 6:16 pm

There was some uncertainty (for months) whether or not there would be reshoots for Phoenix. A recent interview with Kinberg confirmes that yes, there will be.

(“Snail’s pace” doesn’t even begin to cover it. :roll:)

https://411mania.com/movies/reshoots-se ... k-phoenix/
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 4th, 2018, 8:26 pm

And another year of post! For a film that basically no-one is waiting for! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 27th, 2018, 3:02 pm

First Dark Pheonix trailer (opening 2/19), finally. :?

https://youtu.be/QvpYp11Q7fA

Not sure how I feel. It actually looks pretty cool, but the plot is all over the place as far as continuity. It completely contradicts the previous “trilogy” with the new actors by having Jean first meet Charles as a little girl, like in The Last Stand. (Except in that movie she was a teenager, and here she’s like 9.)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 27th, 2018, 11:53 pm

What, messy continuity in the X-Men films?

The trailer ain't bad, but it's still not the REAL Dark Phoenix story. Still, doesn't mean the movie can't be good.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 28th, 2018, 12:20 am

Randall wrote:The trailer ain't bad, but it's still not the REAL Dark Phoenix story. Still, doesn't mean the movie can't be good.
Looks like they went in saying "We're going to do the SPACE story this time!" to please the fans, figured out why that wouldn't work, and then compromised with "Okay, well, would you believe...'The official Bryan Singer remake of X3: Last Stand, so we can pretend that Brett Ratner version never existed', then?"

Most of the fans have been wishfully digging too much into the use of Jim Morrison's "This is the End..." in the trailer, and don't think they're not going to hold Fox to it.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 28th, 2018, 12:35 am

Nothing we don't know, but I thought Vi might like to see this:

https://www.cbr.com/x-men-movie-continu ... ake-sense/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 28th, 2018, 9:00 am

Aw thanks Rand that’s really nice, thank you. :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » September 29th, 2018, 4:12 am

And Fox has moved the date again. This time to June. Doing so just days after launching the trailer.

This does not bode well for the film.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 29th, 2018, 4:20 am

For me, the series ended with DOFP and Logan. The timeline was reset, all was good, and then Logan wrapped things up as far as this cine-universe was concerned. The only way they should have gone was to continue how Logan left things open ended, but it appears that’s not to be.

Nothing happened in Apocalypse, and now DP looks to kind of repeat what they did before, and still not get the comic right, wth a screwy timeline and a cast that just doesn’t seem that right to me anymore since they’re not now the "young" versions of the original X crew.

Really, the best thing now is that DP fails and wipes out the X-films, and we resort to the MCU bringing them back properly, filling in the gaps about to be left by various Avengers, along with the F4 of course, while Deadpool follows along his "outside in" approach under the Fox label.

Best all around, really... :( :? :wink: :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 29th, 2018, 10:58 pm

Dan wrote:And Fox has moved the date again. This time to June. Doing so just days after launching the trailer.

This does not bode well for the film.
They needed a place to put Alita, after they moved Alita's under-the-radar Christmas Dump to Superhero February--
Since rumors suspect Fox needed the 21st/Christmas slot to "compete" with Sony's Spider-Verse movie, by releasing...(drumroll)...a PG-13 re-release cut of Deadpool 2! Now kid-friendly!
(All we have is an untitled Fox slot and an ambiguously ironic Ryan Reynolds Tweet to go by, but the motive and circumstantial evidence is overwhelming.)

I don't know which is sadder, Fox circling the wagons as they run out of superhero franchises, or their thinking that Sony actually has one.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 30th, 2018, 3:30 am

Fox doesn’t need superhero franchises anymore Eric. It just got bought by Disney.

Hence a PG-13 Deadpool.

(That no one is going to go and see against the new Spidey.)

And Dark Phoenix's release shift.

And Alita's new date. They don’t want to mess with the Cameron.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 30th, 2018, 9:16 pm

Ben wrote:Fox doesn’t need superhero franchises anymore Eric. It just got bought by Disney.
Hence a PG-13 Deadpool.
(That no one is going to go and see against the new Spidey.)
This is Fox--It AIN'T OVER for them until Disney makes their own "Fantastic Four: Homecoming".
(And even then, it wasn't over for Sony, either.)
They said they were going to switch to a X-Force-yerse, and they're going down fightin' in a blaze of glory.

Yes, no one is going to see the new Spidey either--and okay, DON'T believe me about the middle-December "Weekend of Death"--but in the world of jealous franchise rivalries, every movie is a Potential Blockbuster that must be crushed and fought.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 1st, 2018, 4:35 am

Yes, but Disney didn’t *buy* Sony.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 22nd, 2018, 5:28 pm

Interesting potential reason for Phoenix's delay...

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/new ... rt-claims/
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 27th, 2018, 3:23 pm

I realize we’ve already debated quite a few times how every single X-movie stacks up, but I thought this was kinda interesting, if only for the fact that First Class is actually ranked ahead of DOFP and X-2*. (No offense to FC fans! :wink: I’ve seen it a considerable amount of times and always get a kick out of it.) My personal faves are X2, then DOFP, then Logan.

And I totally agree with ranking Origins below The Last Stand. TLS actually has some fun action sequences, Hugh Jackman and Kelsey Grammer are both fantastic despite the lackluster script, and there is SOME emotional pull through it all (Logan’s love for Jean, the choice mutants face to potentially lose their powers). Origins, on the other hand...plot is a mess, acting is terrible barring Jackman, and... I actually fell asleep halfway through the film and woke up right at the very end after Logan’s lost his memory. Lol. Maybe if I’d seen more of it I would have liked it better...but I think I saw enough. :wink:

*Also I really don’t understand why the Deadpool films are on the list.

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/featu ... ies-ranked