X-Men Movies Thread

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: X-Men Movies Thread

Post by Ben » July 20th, 2016, 4:07 pm

Well, I think it's just about Apocalypse. I'm pretty jazzed about the next Wolverine! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 26th, 2016, 7:27 pm

Finally....How it Should have Ended

https://youtu.be/b47lvO4N-7A

I'd've posted the video but my computer died a while ago. :cry:

A bit mediocre, but thought I'd post it anyway. Oh and spoilers of course. :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 2nd, 2016, 6:04 pm

Despite a pretty decent gross, (534 mill counting international) where does the franchise go from here?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendel ... 73f105d26d
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 2nd, 2016, 7:16 pm

My guess is they will let the franchise sit for a while and wait to see how the final Wolverine plays out.

In many ways, Singer is the best and worst thing to happen to it. The best for getting the ball rolling, and even for coming back for DOFP. But the worst for essentially ignoring the direction First Class was going in and rushing to get to a preferred X-3 or X-4 replacement that he felt more comfortable with, leading to the downright boring (from the looks of it) Apocalypse that basically didn't tread any new ground.

After DOFP, Apocalypse just looked like the same old thing with, as you know how I felt, a really stupid Saturday morning cartoon-looking villain that wider general audiences were seriously supposed to take seriously. They obviously didn't, hence the lower grosses.

I don't think the X-franchise is dead, but I think it's probably the end of the road for Singer directorially. If only he hadn't bailed on the series to make Stupidman Retard, which turned out bad for everyone, not least the X-Men.

Not only do I think Fox will wait to see how Wolverine does, but they also have the two television shows about to happen. I think we'll probably see the franchise live on the smaller screen for a while, until they make the mistake of trying to reboot the theatrical series under the guise of a Deadpool sequel (when, connected or not, that really was/is its own thing).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 2nd, 2016, 7:38 pm

Apocalypse definitely wasn't a perfect movie (like you said Ben treading the same old ground: Magneto struggling between good and evil, story moving in fits and starts,etc...) but it had some great things too (the psychology of cults, Quicksilver, the leads' strong performances, great score by John Ottman.).
I really think it will do well on Blu Ray when expectations are adjusted a bit. :). My ONLY real quibble with the film was Jennifer Lawrence. Was she atrocious! It was so obvious she was there for her paycheck and nothing else.

See it as soon as you can Ben! :) You are right about the film's flaws, but there is a lot to appreciate too. I really think you'll be surprised!

Singer can make strange choices directorially, but I really hope they bring him back for another round. Also (unless things have changed) the next movie on his slate is the remake of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 3rd, 2016, 2:40 am

Ben wrote:Not only do I think Fox will wait to see how Wolverine does, but they also have the two television shows about to happen. I think we'll probably see the franchise live on the smaller screen for a while, until they make the mistake of trying to reboot the theatrical series under the guise of a Deadpool sequel (when, connected or not, that really was/is its own thing).
Even before they were likely NOT going to call Singer's bluff on a Mr. Sinister movie, Fox had already started talks on a New Mutants movie (yes, the 80's canon, and they'd already rumored casting ideas for Wolfsbane), since the New Mutants eventually split into X-Force, and...guess who later joined X-Force?
Fox is determined to have that MSLU (Marvel Style Linked Universe, which should now be its own acronym to save time), with or without McAvoy, Fassbender and Jackman.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 11th, 2016, 5:24 am

Interesting essay on why there were so many comic book film bombs this year:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/filmbl ... cide-squad

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 11th, 2016, 10:57 am

Short answer: Too many of them were bad films, often in tired or forced franchises.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 11th, 2016, 2:53 pm

Randall wrote:Short answer: Too many of them were bad films, often in tired or forced franchises.
Also many of them were made for literally no other reason than pure mule-headed stubbornness--Ie., that the studio that started making them before Marvel believed they didn't HAVE to give them back to Marvel, so there.
Fox could have given the Fantastic Four back last year, and didn't. Look what happened.

As for the article, though, the Guardian surprisingly gets all five of the reasons for the entire summer exactly RIGHT:
1. The dreaded cinematic universe
2. Eastern promises
3. Franchise non-starters
4. Franchise fatigue
5. Bad reviews
Wait....Hold on a sec--An analyst entertainment-press article, and it gets the reasons for a flop season right? :shock:
N-no, c'mon, aren't they supposed to blame it on the weather, or the election, or Netflix, or Internet pirates, or Pokemon Go, or something?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 13th, 2016, 7:42 pm

Well, it *is* The Guardian, right?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 13th, 2016, 8:07 pm

Hugh Jackman in Old Man Logan makeup!

https://www.google.com/amp/www.thewrap. ... ent=safari

:)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 13th, 2016, 8:32 pm

Ben wrote:Well, it *is* The Guardian, right?
(Um, is that a good thing? Most of us don't get the transatlantic joke, and only know British newspapers from that Yes, Minister routine.
But the analysis is a breath of fresh air you're guaranteed not to read in Variety.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » August 17th, 2016, 1:44 am

We have an MCU thread and a WB/DC thread. Maybe we should rename this one Sony/Marvel since there's talk of Fantastic Four here as well.

On that note, documentary about never-released Fantastic Four movie coming later this year.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/15/fa ... ary-doomed

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 17th, 2016, 6:03 am

This has been in the offing for a couple of years now, and I believe the original intention was for a disc release to contain the first ever official release of the FF film.

Hopefully that may still be the case. If not, it's on YouTube in all its hilariously bad goodness, with a cameo by Commander Lassard himself and a fairly decent music score: https://youtu.be/QW5rLyzFWJM

:)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 11th, 2016, 7:35 pm

It's official: Mister Sinister will be the villain in Wolverine 3: (no actor confirmed yet.)

http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1555030 ... rst-appear

Yes, finally. Really hope they bring him over to an ensemble X-film. :D