AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Re:

Post by EricJ » October 4th, 2011, 6:20 pm

Ben wrote:Captain America: 1990
Schindler's List: 1993
:roll:
(Uh, how about "For the same Jewish-cultural reason?"
That's sort of what a comparative like "like" means. ;) )

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » October 5th, 2011, 4:02 pm

No,

The reason why there were no Nazis in Captain America was that they couldn't sell them as action figures... Hence, why Hydra was brought into the picture.

(On a less-important note, the Skull's been involved with both AIM and Hydra post-revival. AIM was the group that discovered the Skull in hibernation in the 1960s comics. AIM also developed the original Cosmic Cube that the Skull used in 1960 storylines.)

It has less to do with the ethnicity of the film producers.

The creators of Captain America were both Jews as well... As was generally the case with well over half the superheroes created in the late 1930s and 1940s.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » December 16th, 2011, 8:43 am

The Real Captain America dies...

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/joe-sim ... 11215.html

RIP, Joe Simon, 1913-2011

The creator of Captain America (Jack Kirby was brought on after the character had already been designed and many of the basics -- including Bucky -- had been plotted out) passed away this Wednesday (December 14th). Joe Simon was 98.

In recent years, Simon was still attending local comic cons in New York City and telling stories of his work with Jack Kirby during the Golden Age of comics. Best known for the Captain America series at Marvel (they only did the first 10 issues and left after Martin Goodman, owner and publisher, stiffed them on royalties owed), Simon and Kirby practically created and perfected multitudes of genres and characters across the spread of what was perhaps a more diverse American comic book industry at the time.

Simon also authored two autobiographies detailing his early life and creations.

Even though Simon no longer owned Captain America, he was more than happy to talk about his creation and comment on him when he felt it was appropriate. He still felt the character was relevant and important to the American cultural and political scenes and was very proud of his creation.

Simon lived to see and appreciate the recent Captain America live-action film as well as a recent collection of Simon and Kirby comics. He was appreciated as both an elder statesmen, historian, and long-surviving foundational member of the American comic book industry and classic superhero creator in general.

He's gonna be missed, guys. I feel somewhat glad, though, that (from what I've seen) he didn't die bitter. This year was a good time for him and I think he enjoyed the Cap film...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 16th, 2011, 8:00 pm

Such a shame to see Simon and Jerry Robinson die so close together. They were two giants. (Eduardo Barretto passed, too, the same day as Simon. Not a fave of mine, but a reliable draftsman.)

I never met Simon, but have immense respect for his accomplishments.

Years ago, while at a comic show, I purchased the Fighting American hardcover that Marvel published. I was very pleased to discover later that it was fully authenticated as signed by Simon himself!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » December 16th, 2011, 9:29 pm

I like Joe Simon from what I've heard and read about him.

i have his first autobiography, The Comic Book Makers (second edition). I have the slipcased/signed version. I also have Fighting American but it wasn't signed. Honestly, I liked the Simon/Kirby issues of Captain America Comics best. The only run of Cap that I like better is the 1960s Tales of Suspense Cap series that Stan Lee and Jack Kirby collaborated on. That run has the classic first story which introduced the Cosmic Cube.

Simon's original sketch for Captain America is reprinted in The Comic Book Makers and in Les Daniels' Marvel book. I seriously do believe Simon created Cap on his own and recruited Kirby later on to do the finished artwork. Simon maintains that he did a lot of layout prior to Kirby's pencils.

This is an important point only because Marvel management used the long-held belief that Kirby was Cap's co-creator to swindle Simon completely out of Cap's rights in the late 1960s when the character first came up for copyright renewal. Kirby was tricked by Goodman and the Marvel legal team into signing away "his rights" (to Marvel) and that pretty much sealed off Simon's claim to the character.

Simon didn't seem to hold this against Kirby or Stan Lee. (He says Kirby had a bad memory which seems to be echoed by everybody who knew Jack Kirby well. He seems to iimply that Stan was as much a victim of Goodman's manipulations as everybody else.) If anything, he was mockingly affectionate towards Stan ("I taught him everything he knows about comics!") and really only had harder words towards Goodman who violated a gentlemen's agreement to grant Simon and Kirby 25% of the Captain America royalties.

Simon once again fought to get the copyright to Captain America in the late 1990s but it didn't seem to come to much, OR he settled with Marvel out of court. Only Simon's family knows what happened. I suspect there was a settlement.

You have to see the mini-documentary with Joe Simon on the Captain America home video release. He does not come off as bitter about his creation and seemed rather proud of it and the place in cultural history that it has. He also talked about the origin of the Red Skull which is an amusing tale!

Quite a guy he was. He's already missed by the comic book community...