Beauty and the Beast Blu-ray

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 30th, 2010, 5:16 am

Well said! Even Aladdin, as I recall, didn't get the kind of tome we started receiving with The Lion King, so that would be nice too!

I guess bumping the release back into the schedule is so that the 3D makeover can then come out after that (if it's even still happening) and then the Blu-ray-3D disc will entice us to buy all over again.

However, at least with the original crew still around we can be sure of a faithful digital restoration, though my bet is they use the HD master already prepared for the last DVD release as a basis for a new digital wash, so that it more matches the tradigital ink and paint of today.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Beauty & the Beast Blu ray released on 10/5/2010

Post by LotsoA113 » March 30th, 2010, 9:49 am

The 3D version is still coming...though if this comes out again in 2011 for 3D Blu-Ray... :roll:
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » March 30th, 2010, 1:21 pm

Even though I still can't afford a hi-def TV (and won't be able to for awhile yet), I've come to the conclusion that I'd be better off buying a cheap blu-ray player now. Mainly, this is because I'm kind of a nut for dvd bonus material and more and more these days, the studios are putting extras on the blu-rays that aren't on the dvds (for instance, the blu-ray of This Is It has the videos created for the show as stand-alone vids and the dvd doesn't). It's very, VERY frustrating that they're trying to force people to upgrade this way, but what are ya gonna do? Still, as long as dvds are still around, I'll reserve blu-ray for things that would look really good in hi-def (Speed Racer, most cgi animated films, the new Star Trek, etc) and stick with dvds for the rest.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vernadyn » March 30th, 2010, 3:37 pm

That's exactly what I'm doing, Eddie, as I'm also a bonus features nut. At least until the price of Blu-Rays becomes manageable, I'll buy DVDs unless the Blu-Ray offers notable extras or would look good in high definition. Though one can find the 5-disc Blade Runner Blu-Ray set at Costco for around 12 bucks, most new (single-disc) releases are still around the $30 range retail. And then there are movies like Kingdom of Heaven that are available in Blu-Ray, but without all the goodies.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 30th, 2010, 3:45 pm

I just bought a 26" 720p HDTV with a built in DVD player for the wife for just $350 at Best Buy. They had a 32" one without the DVD player for the same price. Prices are getting much, much better!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vernadyn » March 30th, 2010, 4:09 pm

Somewhat off-topic, but I can't wait for the (eventual) Incredibles Blu-Ray and hope it will come with some new behind-the-scenes stuff. I've lost count how many times I've watched each feature and easter egg and listened to the two commentaries on the DVD.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 30th, 2010, 6:36 pm

LotsoA113 wrote:The 3D version is still coming...though if this comes out again in 2011 for 3D Blu-Ray... :roll:
Didn't I just say that!? :roll:
eddievalient wrote:I've come to the conclusion that I'd be better off buying a cheap blu-ray player now. I'll reserve blu-ray for things that would look really good in hi-def (Speed Racer) and stick with dvds for the rest.
Be quick on Speed Racer, eddie. I looked recently to add it to my BDs and from Amazon at least it doesn't look like it's even on release anymore, so you're probably down to last store copies for that one. I'll make do with the DVD until they hopefully reissue.

BTW, rightly or wrongly, the Studios have been adding BD-specific content for a while now and though I don't think it's fair on those that "have" to upgrade, I'm happy to see my old suggestion of buying a cheap player just to see the extras is picking up, and glad that you'll get the benefit out of wonderful supplements like Disney's CineExplore features even if you may have to wait a while to see hi-def images (but don't forget that you'll be future-proof for those too)!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 30th, 2010, 6:50 pm

Best time to get a new TV set is when last year's models are being cleared out.

If I'd had the cash, I would have gotten a Sony Bravia this year.

Best Buy was clearing out the 1080p 47" models, 120Hz for $999!

(This was happening late February into this month... Probably still have some sets left over into April.)

Yep -- they were selling nice-sized sets for $600 off.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » April 2nd, 2010, 11:25 pm

I think I have asked this before but have no idea where or what the answer was so please excuse my silly question. Can DVDs play on a Blu-Ray machine? I'm hoping the answer is yes so all I need to do when the time comes is buy a blu-ray machine without having to update my DVD library. My gut feeling says that I should start saving money though.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » April 3rd, 2010, 12:17 am

Bill1978 wrote:Can DVDs play on a Blu-Ray machine?
Yes .. and some Blu-ray players will even 'up-convert' standard DVDs.

But be aware that, if your HDTV is a 40" diagonal (or greater) screen .. even 'up-converted' DVDs will look murky/blocky/smudgy.

Personally, I keep a 24" monitor around for watching DVDs. Most of the stuff I have on DVD doesn't require a 'big screen' presence, anyway. :wink:

--------------

Conversely, if your HDTV is smaller than a 32" diagonal (or isn't even 'HD') .. you probably won't notice an appreciable difference between 'hi-def' and up-converted 'standard-def' content.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » April 3rd, 2010, 12:22 am

I used to tell people that too: if you have a 32" or below TV you won't notice much of a difference. Let me clarify that now! The previously mentioned 26" HDTV we just bought is very obviously better quality! No question at all. The difference is how far you sit from the screen. If you put a 26-32" HDTV in your living room and then sit 15 feet away you're better off with an SDTV. The closer your sitting space is to the TV the more obvious the benefit is. There is actually a formula out there that gives you a good guide to what size TV you need based on your viewing distance.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » April 3rd, 2010, 2:25 pm

Bill1978 wrote:I think I have asked this before but have no idea where or what the answer was so please excuse my silly question. Can DVDs play on a Blu-Ray machine? I'm hoping the answer is yes so all I need to do when the time comes is buy a blu-ray machine without having to update my DVD library. My gut feeling says that I should start saving money though.
And not only can DVD's play on a Blu-ray (and the PS3 is one of the better Sony upconverting DVD players out there)--
But with the rush for "DVD Bonus copies" on practically all of DIsney/Pixar's titles, the idea is that you can still do your Blu shopping now: The idea got so distracted by BD owners saying "Wow, thanks, an extra copy for car trips! :mrgreen: ", the original point of patiently-waiting future Blu owners gathering ye acorns--and having a spare "emergency" DVD of Wall-E or Snow White to watch now while stockpiling your Blu copy on the shelf for later--sort of got lost in discussion, and the real aspiring Blu owners it was meant for never picked up on the idea.
(Even Disney's own DVD-copy promos have now been sucked in, and now show happy families watching their DVD copies on car trips.)

But, it's the patient folks it was meant for, and the idea's still good, while the Best Buy/Amazon sales are hot.
(And yes, Speed Racer looks amazing on the fancy machines, considering the movie got a raw deal from audience box-office hysteria at the time...Like Ben says, might want to hurry.)
Last edited by EricJ on April 3rd, 2010, 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » April 8th, 2010, 1:43 am

Do we know if the release will be the version with "Human Again" included or if they are going to do the same thing they did for the first DVD release and have two versions? (I really dis-like that sequence and I wouldn't want it in the middle of my film. :P)

So they are releasing a purely DVD version as well? Cool.

That book also looks super fantastic! :D
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 8th, 2010, 5:53 am

I would *guess* that they would supply both versions, though as we know, even the "theatrical version" is now basically the Special Edition just minus Human Again.

Would be great if they offered both versions including the *original* original, and the *original* Work In Progress (as opposed to the cleaned up re-work in progress on the Platinum DVD), but I doubt it on all counts after the money that went into the Imax reissue (which is where all current versions of the film come from).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Aaron_03 » May 2nd, 2010, 6:51 pm

LotsoA113 wrote:The 3D version is still coming...though if this comes out again in 2011 for 3D Blu-Ray... :roll:

That's what I worry about when I buy newly released BD's because the ones from IMAX, like Avatar and Alice in Wonderland, will probably get released in 3D later on.