The Avengers

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 12th, 2011, 7:28 pm

Probably a load of contract negotiation twaddle so that Disney can then put out the inevitable box sets and later television distribution.

AV Team
AV Team

Re: The Avengers

Post by Dan » February 5th, 2012, 11:15 pm

Trailer that aired during the Super Bowl

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by laughingoctopus » February 5th, 2012, 11:40 pm

:D

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » February 29th, 2012, 10:11 pm

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 29th, 2012, 10:59 pm

Hokey smokes. Lookin' good, I'd say. I don't like the look of Cap's suit, but everything else seems to fall into place nicely.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 1st, 2012, 4:50 am

So now it's called "Avengers Assemble"?

Looking good though, and I do like Cap's costume and especially Mark Ruffalo's Hulk, which looks much more like the originals.

But, really, Disney should have saved the trailer for the front of John Carter, giving fans another reason to go and check out that movie like in the old days. Yeah, we know they're going to turn up online a few days later, but there's still a sizable chunk of people that will go and buy a ticket to see a new anticipated trailer.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » March 1st, 2012, 10:26 am

The film is still called "The Avengers." "Avengers Assemble" is just used to name the trailer. :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 1st, 2012, 1:58 pm

Ben wrote:So now it's called "Avengers Assemble"?
It is in YOUR country, where more people remember John Steed and Emma Peel than know about Tony Stark and Bruce Banner. ;)

In the US, it's still The Avengers, as, sadly, no one remembers Ralph Fiennes and Uma Thurman.
(Unless it's been shortened to simply "Avengers", not just to avoid confusion, but also because popularly hyped movies tend to lose their direct articles by the time they're released...Or maybe they just wanted to be next to "Avatar" on the video shelf.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 1st, 2012, 7:35 pm

Oddly enough... I have a British client right (late 30s) now with whom I was discussing my recent purchase of The Complete Avengers DVD set from Amazon.uk. She then told me there was a new Avengers film coming out. I was surprised, as I'd heard nothing of ther sort. She went on to tell me how much she'd loved all the Marvel films to date.

Of course, I'd assumed she knew that I was referring to the British show when I mentioned my UK purchase, as we'd just also been talking about other British cult shows, but she'd totally forgotten about The Avengers TV show!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 4th, 2012, 11:57 pm

Avengers. Is. Fantastic.

Seriously, I could go into a long post here in which I essentially gush non-stop for thirteen paragraphs...but why risk spoiling the fun for you guys? Go see it for yourselves and prepare to have a total blast! :D

I can't wait to watch it again!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by laughingoctopus » May 5th, 2012, 12:11 am

Dacey wrote:Avengers. Is. Fantastic.
This. Pleases. Me. Immensely.

But out of all the separate movies of each avenger I've only seen Captain America. Will that hamper my enjoyment of it?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 5th, 2012, 1:13 am

In terms of plot, one quick viewing of Thor might clear up a lot of backstory questions--
Haven't seen the A's yet, but it sounds as if they're directly continuing on the storyline of Loki and the power cube (which led to the "Power source said to belong to the gods" in Captain America).

Maybe Iron Man 2 if you have the time (to set up SHIELD, the Black Widow, and Tony Stark's membership), but doubt it'll tell you anything you won't already pick up from the new movie.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by laughingoctopus » May 6th, 2012, 3:14 am

Ok, I just got back from seeing Avengers. I had time to watch Thor before I saw it, which cleared up a lot of plot points. I liked it a lot. I'm a big Whedon fan.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 6th, 2012, 3:24 am

Out of the previous movies, ironically it was Thor that I hadn't seen, and yet I followed things easily.

I thought it was a great film, perhaps along the lines of the Star Trek reboot. Greatest superhero flick ever? Nah, that would still be Superman: The Movie for me since, if anything, Avengers didn't have that much of a strong emotional core.

But...it does what it does effortlessly and expertly. I found it to be the usual kind of blockbuster nonsense, but very well done with particularly impressive visuals, good humor and a light tone throughout. Not the be all and end all of superhero movies but Whedon juggles the various characters well and gives them all a chance to do their thang at the right moments.

I did think the 3D was actually quite good too, not in your face but again pretty well used even if it doesn't really need it (the movie is impressive enough without such tricks).

Avengers is definitely a Blu-ray pickup come Crimbo but certainly worth seeing on the big screen: it's an ultimate popcorn movie (and stay for the end credits to see who the villain will be in the next movie!).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by laughingoctopus » May 6th, 2012, 1:04 pm

And I see on this sites front page that The Avengers made 200 million dollars this weekend! I truly wonder how much it'll end up with.