Analyst predicts 3D fad will die off unless...!

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Analyst predicts 3D fad will die off unless...!

Post by Randall » September 21st, 2010, 2:46 pm

Karenhill wrote:... Eyes are not made for stereoscopic viewing...
I know what you're trying to say, but our normal vision is stereoscopic. You mean that our eyes are not made for artificial stereoscopic vision.

Otherwise, you have some valid points, and I'm no fan of 3-D myself. However, by some of your reasoning, we should also avoid any "artificial" images, since regular 2-D TV or film (or even photographs) are also removed from the "natural" seeing experience. True 3-D photography (i.e. not Clash of the Titans) can be more true to how we actually see than 2-D photos or film, except for strobing, dimness, etc., which are valid points.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » September 22nd, 2010, 3:17 pm

I just don't like the way 3D is done now, period, Rand.

IF it wasn't the same junk I've seen my entire life, I could tolerate it.

It's just too artificial and unreal. It's just not how I perceive reality around me. In that sense, 2D/traditional film has the advantage... It's a bit more realistic to me (in all honesty) and the fact that color values and light are not being manipulated like they are in much of 3D now is a good thing, too. 2D is definitely more pleasant to look at.

I finally got a chance to demo one of the Sony 3D TV Set's with stereoscopic glasses a few weeks ago.

Guess what? As I thought before, it's the same junk that I see in theaters which I intensely dislike.

IF it really enhanced the viewing experience in any meaningful way, I could see it appealing to more people than the usual electronics crowd who have to have these toys right now -- ie, the same people who have to annoyingly be first on the block with anything.

The drivers of 3D now would probably be the sports crowd -- IF they can afford it and IF enough of them like would it does for games.

Going by what I see in videogame forums, 3D is a dead issue for most gamers. Most just don't think it's necessary or will measurably improve their gaming experience. Nobody's liking the prices of consoles now and new release game prices have yet to fall in a meaningful way for most gamers. To throw 3D at gamers and add motion controllers on top of that (for PS3 and 360) is probably not the smartest move, now.

I think current 3D technology is a dead-end retread of the same crap Hollywood has been peddling for over 50 years now (with breaks in-between averaging 20 years) and frankly I wish the electronics companies would drop this.

The problem with TV and movie theaters is not digital projection, 2D, 3D, or surround sound. It's content.

Until content and meaningful stories become important again, the situation at theaters and on home video will not improve.

Right now, the majority of people making or producing films are tail-chasers. They will only commit to what they think is sure thing and that's why we have all the sequels and retreads that we do now.