The Muppets

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 21st, 2011, 3:37 pm

Jason Segel hosted SNL this past weekend and the opening with the Muppets was pretty funny! (Best quality I could find...)

Liked the joke with the chicken. :P

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 22nd, 2011, 4:00 pm

Well that felt very much like old-school Muppets, especially Whitmire's Kermit, who sounded more like Henson than he has lately (including the stuff we've heard from the movie). And it addressed the Segal-hogging worries in an amusing manner. Statler and Waldorf on the end were the icing on the cake!

I bet Eric hated it, of course, hahaha...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: The NEW Muppet Movie

Post by ShyViolet » November 22nd, 2011, 6:24 pm

My fave trailer:

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 22nd, 2011, 7:16 pm

Muppets and Bollywood were made to go together.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 23rd, 2011, 12:41 am

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 23rd, 2011, 7:19 am

Wow! Cool!

I guess Eric must be right: they sound like they totally missed the mark with this one. ;)

But we won't know until we actually SEE it, right!?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » November 23rd, 2011, 4:27 pm

Together again...gee it's good to be together again...I just can't believe you were ever gone!

Right now, that just about summarizes my feelings about The Muppets, a hilarious and beautiful movie that brings back the energy and kick the muppets have been needing for years.

A while back, Ben noted that the film resembles the Star Trek reboot in a way and actually it does!! Don't worry though: thats a GREAT thing as, like the ST reboot, a new crew brings back all the fun and excitement of the original, while updating the things that need to be update (i.e. actor cameos and technology)

As far as the Muppets themselves go, it's astounding how great they got them. Kermit feels perfectly like his old self, Miss Piggy is a riot and Rawlf (my personal favorite) finally returns, with a gag that had me rolling in the aisles. Other favorites of mine like Uncle Deadly were also very appreciated. Walter was a genuine surprise, faring wonderfully against the old crew. He's well-developed and reminds me of many-a muppet fanboys I know. (myself included)

As for Jason Segal..he just knocks it out of the ballpark in terms of both the writing and his acting here. He and Amy Adams smartly allow The Muppets to take most of the spotlight, while shining in the films more emotional moments.

And the music!! Reminding me of the Music Man in all the right ways, several of the songs (especially Man or Muppet and Life's a Happy Song) just had me tapping my toe. And reprisals of The Rainbow Connection and Mananana are just fantastic to boot.

The Muppets excels both emotionally (the Pictures in My Head number was well done) while there's more than enough humor to go around (like the Muppets defining kidnapping) Like when Tangled breathed new life into the Disney classic, The Muppets shines brightly in every area you can imagine. For a whole new generation and us old fans alike, a great new movie has been brought on us that perfectly brings The Muppets back

This is a hilarious treat, filled with emotional moments, awesome music and gut-busting laughs.

This film is dynamite

Did someone say Dynamite?

KABOOM!!!
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 23rd, 2011, 6:49 pm

That's great to hear! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 23rd, 2011, 10:03 pm

I am so pumped to take my kids this weekend. :) Thanks for the fine review, Lotso!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 24th, 2011, 5:28 am

Fantastic! Nice to hear the viewpoints of a real fan. Sounds like the general comments are right and that they've nailed it.

The Muppets is also tracking to pull in a $40m opening, making its cheap $35m price tag (Segel and Adams worked for scale to show their love and trust for the characters and movie) back already.

And I just heard The Muppet Show is coming back. Not Muppets Tonight, but The Muppet Show! Yaaaaaaaaaaaayy!!

Excellent news/retrospective article here:
http://m.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/20 ... pe=article

What's that? Can anyone hear Eric still grumbling in that dark, wet corner? :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » November 24th, 2011, 8:37 am

Thanks for such kind words you guys!! I just really loved this film, and I think you guys will too.

One other thing BTW....there's a subtle, but classy tribute to Jim Henson in the beggining. 25 internet points to whoever else finds it! :wink:
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 24th, 2011, 10:25 am

Whoever finds it...HIDE IT!!

I don't want that spoiled before Muppets opens here...in February :(

Well, at least I've seen Tintin three times, so that makes up for it :)

Automatic ban if anyone breaks that demand! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » November 24th, 2011, 11:03 am

Don't worry Ben. Actually, I was thinking of putting a hint up, but I'm glad I thought better.

One final thing and then I'll quite praising (unless EricJ forces me to): my favorite Muppet, Rawlf the dog, I'm happy to say, has officially come out of retirmenet!! Almost made the movie for me :D

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 24th, 2011, 1:57 pm

You did mention Rowlf! I'm personally glad to see Scooter again. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 24th, 2011, 3:01 pm

It's nice to have Segel's memory only go back as far as 1984, and never heard of Bean Bunny...Guess that's one good thing about keeping the company locked out. ;)
Ben wrote:What's that? Can anyone hear Eric still grumbling in that dark, wet corner? :P
What, about the actual, original genuine Show made by the people responsible for it themselves?...No, it's hard to grumble while sighing in relief. :mrgreen:

(And at least I'm not one of the press critics doing a Simpsons Movie job on the reviews and saying "Oh, sure, most of the jokes fall flat, but GOSH, WHAT A FAN I AM! :) "
I was under the impression most critics are paid to review the movie, not show their childhood photo albums. Here's a drinking game, take one sip every time a review tries to be cutesy by quoting the Theme Song, and two sips every time it tries to be cutesy by quoting Rainbow Connection.)