Live Action Yamato On The Way!

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Live Action Yamato On The Way!

Post by eddievalient » August 3rd, 2010, 6:29 pm

For all the anime fans here, I wanted to let you know (if you didn't already) that a new, big budget Space Battleship Yamato movie will be coming out in December. Check out the trailer:

I can't wait for the fansubbers to get ahold of this one!
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Live Action Yamato On The Way!

Post by droosan » August 3rd, 2010, 7:01 pm

As a kid who grew up in Japan during the 1970's (when the original Yamato was in its 'hey-day'), I'm most definitely looking forward to this! It does look incredibly 'spot-on', as a live-action adaptation. Kodai and Okita appear to be perfectly cast .. and that launch sequence looks incredible. :o

The movie hits japanese theaters around November .. which means the DVD / Blu-ray will likely be released in the spring of 2011 (also in Japan).

There's a slim chance the movie will get an official 'dub/sub' North American video release .. after all, Star Blazers remains somewhat well-known, here .. and its rights issues are nowhere near as crippled as those of Macross / Robotech.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » August 3rd, 2010, 10:35 pm

I dunno...

My impression is that Macross is still far better known in the States.

It's not just Harmony Gold holding up the Macross spin-offs even though they don't seem to be making any headway on getting more Robotech movies produced.... 3 years later and NOT one peep about progress on a follow-up to Shadow Chronicles! At the rate they're going they'll lose the rights to the Macross footage (from Tatsunoko) before they ever finish the Shadow story arc. I'm frankly pessimistic about HG's chances of ever concluding Robotech properly. They just don't have the money and inclination to finish the series in a timely manner. Blu ray will be dead by the time the second film gets finished if it ever gets into production!

Yamato is a romantic series but it's sillier in many ways than "transforming F-14s". A resurrected iconic battleship may play well in Japan but even Disney couldn't sell intergalactic pirate ships to teenage American boys!
(FYI, I always thought the Tomcats were cooler. Disappointed the real planes have faded into history as scrap metal, pole-mounts, and museum gateguards but at least they were preserved in flight on fan videos and 35mm film before the stupid decision to retire them early... It's a decision that's going to haunt the Navy more than aviation enthusiasts in the decade to come. Mark my words -- it'll happen when the SuperBugs can't get on target fast enough or have to waste more time with tankers... /hide]
(Another reason for my F-14 lament... My birthday is close to the date for the prototype airframe's first flight. The words "obsolete," "old-fashioned," and "decommissioned" really hurt! :lol: Enough of that segue! )
The people that even know StarBlazers in the US are now in their mid-thirties to forties. (That includes me... I saw the first two seasons in their original broadcast run. Never saw the third season in my area and frankly don't feel bad for missing it the first time. I saw just a few episodes off of a tape borrowed from a schoolmate and man was it a bad season! I still have plans to get Seasons 1 and 2 of SB when I can afford it. I have the boxset of all the Yamato theatrical movies Voyager licensed for R1...)

I think the log-jam on Macross (releases past Macross Plus) could get broken IF and WHEN Bandai takes a chance on releasing one of the later series like Macross Zero. They're the video company doing all the releases in Japan and are the ones losing the money to fansubs and bootlegs. They're the company that has to convince Big West to take a chance on the West in spite of Harmony Gold. There's no reason NOT to release the Macross Movie, Flashback 2012, or Macross Zero. Those movies/series could still do well in the US. Macross 7 I wouldn't count on being a big hit...!

The other issue holding up at least 2 other Macross shows (7 and Frontier which is by all accounts one of the best Macross series produced) are music clearance rights. That's thorny and there have been at least 2 major series that had theme music altered for American releases because of music clearance issues.

A shame the Macross dub didn't do better saleswise, but oh well, Robotech is far better known than the original series dubbed or not.

The big periodic re-releases of Robotech on home video have really helped the series maintain a presence -- the biggest in anime outside of Star Trek and Star Wars in the States and probably most of the English-speaking world. The same can't be said for a lot of other anime properties that get one release and basically fade out...

All that said, I'd probably give a peek at the live-action Yamato if it ever got a proper US release.

It could happen... Tons of lower-budget Japanese sci-fi and martial arts films have made it to the US through Media Blasters and other live-action importers.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » September 20th, 2010, 3:44 pm

New trailer!! :mrgreen:

.. with subtitles, even!

.. and a pop ballad. :|

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » September 20th, 2010, 10:13 pm

Did you hear that they got Steven Tyler (yeah, THAT Steven Tyler of Aerosmith) to sing a song for the movie soundtrack?

UPDATE: He's apparently singing the theme song!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 20th, 2010, 10:43 pm

Um, yeah, that was in the last trailer posted. :)

I've never seen the cartoon, but that looks pretty cool. I like watching Japanese sci-fi.

Interesting that the "TV cartoon to live action feature" craze isn't restricted to the US. But I'd rather watch this than the new Yogi Bear movie!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by EricJ » September 20th, 2010, 11:10 pm

Randall wrote:nteresting that the "TV cartoon to live action feature" craze isn't restricted to the US. But I'd rather watch this than the new Yogi Bear movie!
Actually, the Japanese are a little less reserved about live-action versions of their own culturally-iconic anime franchises, given the success of the Cutie Honey and Death Note movies.
What they lack in A-level Hollywood budgets, they make up for in spirit, even for the GeGeGe no Kitaro movie that will probably never see American shores.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 21st, 2010, 1:27 pm

Wow...heavy VFX!

I have to say with all that carnage played to the Tyler song it did kind of make it look like Armageddon II...

This could well get a US disc release...maybe even a dub if it does well enough in Japan. Shame we don't get to see more international releases more easily, there's a lot of good stuff out there.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » December 4th, 2010, 4:21 pm

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/ ... ction-2010

Good news on reviews of the Space Battleship Yamato film...

Mostly positive reviews.

CG is 'eh' in areas but what do you expect? The Japanese don't have the budget the American studios do and make do with what they have.

Bad news -- the acting is 'meh.' That's what you get when you cast idol singers!

Someone in the talkback for this film had a suggestion for this and other future adaptations --

"Hire Korean actors instead of Japanese idol singers! They're better actors!"

I don't think that would go over well with the Japanese in general, or Japanese actors/performers specifically! :lol:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 4th, 2010, 4:33 pm

I watched a clip at AICN, and it certainly looks pretty cool.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » December 13th, 2010, 2:57 am

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... -show-film

More Yamato news...

The Yamato producer's son, Shoji Nishizaki, wants to do a new TV series based on the classic anime as well as a remastered, re-edited version of one of the last Yamato projects his father worked on, the film(?) Yamato: Resurrection.

The late Yoshinobu Nishizaki was a controversial figure... mainly because of a long-running dispute with manga artist legend and Captain Harlock creator Leiji Matsumoto over who created Space Battleship Yamato in the first place! Matsumoto has often featured cameo appearances of the Yamato in his works and it's been implied at times that Harlock and Yamato exist in a common universe.

In addition to the feud with Matsumoto -- which resulted in copyright lawsuits and delays in production of new Yamato OVA's and films --, Yoshinobu Nishizaki was involved in a drug bust case and was jailed for a while.

Yoshinobu Nishizaki died this past year after falling from a boat when he was on a diving expedition. The name of that boat was ironically Yamato!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » April 23rd, 2011, 3:29 am

Oddly enough,

The English dub of Space Battleship Yamato, Starblazers, is now being shown on SyFy!

Just caught it this past Thursday late night.

Anime's been pushed from Tuesday to Thursday (no real explanation) and the first two episodes of Starblazers aired right after Chrono Crusade (yet another anime series I bought when first released but have to sit down and watch).

Interesting.

This is the first time in nearly 30 years I've seen Starblazers on television and about twenty years since I've seen any of it... I did borrow tapes of the first two seasons dubbed. What little I saw of the third season was enough for me to swear off of it even though I'd really like to go ahead and buy the first two seasons. Have all the films the DVD set released by Voyager Communications years ago.

The condition of the video I saw on SyFy was rough in places. The animation was beyond mediocre. Even the original Gundam looks better than this! The charm of a resurrected World War II ship hasn't left even if the premise is ludicrous beyond words. At least a pirate ship isn't being sailed between galaxies....

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » April 23rd, 2011, 6:37 am

I have both of the first two english-dubbed TV series on DVD from Voyager Entertainment -- The Quest for Iscandar and The Comet Empire. Their A/V quality varies, but is still far better than the VHS tapes they'd released in the late-1980's.

My only real complaint about the VE DVD sets is that (when using the 'play all' feature) the opening/closing narration of 'the story thus far' and -- more importantly -- the reminder at the end of each episode that "there are only X days left!" .. and the individual op/end titles are all excised, in favor of letting the episodes flow together as though they are one long movie. That narration is a crucial part of the show's 'serial' nature, IMO. :?

:arrow: (those individual op/end titles and narrated segments are on the VE DVDs, btw .. but playing them involves navigating a couple of folders deep into the DVD menu system for each episode. The discs' default play mode is the 'movie-style' process outlined above. Just klunky presentation, really)

--------------------------

Just a few years ago, the first Uchuu Senkan Yamato TV series underwent a complete restoration, working from a 35mm telecine print. I have a japanese DVD boxed set made from this source, and it is absolutely gorgeous :) -- the imagery is super-crisp and bright, with a minimum of the dirt & scratches noticeable in the imported version of the show (it is also, of course, available only in Region-2 with japanese-language dialogue). Supposedly, this restoration could be used to master a future Blu-ray of the first TV series, as well. 8)

--------------------------

Speaking of which, the new live-action Space Battleship Yamato movie finally has a home-video release date in Japan:

June 24th, 2011

There will be 'standard' and 'deluxe' editions available, on both DVD and Blu-ray.

STANDARD EDITION: pretty much just the movie, with a couple of trailers.

DELUXE COLLECTOR'S EDITION: two bonus discs with multiple making-of documentaries, interview with the director, footage from a Yamato press conference event, 100-page 'storyboard' book, Susumu Kodai dogtag replica, Cosmo Cleaner cell phone strap, 3D photo cards, and more(!) :o

Still no word yet on any plans to release the movie in markets outside of Japan. :|

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » April 23rd, 2011, 2:13 pm

Beautiful looking release boxes.

I'd argue that the film-only box looks better.

Advertising doesn't get more direct than showing the Ship on the packaging!

I was looking at imagery of the real Yamato and the fictional revived ship really only resembles the original ship plans broadly. The original Yamato had a gold "plaque"/starburst in the upper middle of the bow that the fictional ship lacks. Its real-life sister ship, Musashi, also had a similar starburst (I've seen pictures of both battleships and the Yamato seems to have had a cleaner profile. The Musashi superstructure looks busier as if mods were grafted onto it haphazardly during the course of the War.) A second sistership, Shinano, which was finished as an aircraft carrier, also had a similar starburst crest. It's partly obscured by the superstructure modifications which altered that battleship into a carrier. The wrecks of the Musashi and Shinano have never been located.

This starburst was one of the features used to ID the Yamato wreck when it was discovered in 1984. The pronounced curving and holes on the space battleship's bows were never there on the real thing. (No mounts/architecture for a "Wave Motion Gun," either.... :) ) However, from 3/4-4/5 view, the parentage is unmistakeable when you compare the gun turrets, bridge/general superstructure, and and the below surface bow bulge...

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » November 5th, 2012, 2:51 am

Sorry to resurrect a Necro-thread,

But I just took time to watch part of the live-action (2010) Yamato feature on YT.
Even if you're not familiar with the basic Yamato story, it's a very good film!
IF you've seen any part of the original Yamato or the first season of Star Blazers, I think you're in for a treat.
It's a slightly different take on the main story but thankfully it is NOT a beat-for-beat remake of the original anime despite some familiar music and costume designs.
I saw an hour of the film before the sound gave out(!) but what I saw was pretty darn good space opera. It's been a while since I've seen any decent sci fi in animation or live-action...

(CGI wasn't bad, either, but I still say the days of model making/pre-digital effects in the 1980s produced superior space battles. I'm sorry but nothing in CG has equalled the space battle in Return of the Jedi; most CG ship models are "too clean" and unfortunately look video-gamey... and don't even get me started on ship design... The Space Battleship Yamato design, as impractical as it is, is still a majestic and romantic symbol of a bygone era.)

There is some good news for English-speaking Yamato fans...
I believe legitimate Blu ray editions have been released for Region A (US/Japan/Canada) that have English and Cantonese (re: Chinese) subtitles. The cost of these Blu rays is very reasonable -- generally around $30-$32. Can't vouch for the subtitles but expect "Engrish." The Asian releases generally don't have the best subtitling.
I'm going to double-check on these Blu rays but I do believe the bulk of them are legitimate releases. Generally speaking, pirates go after the part of the market that's most profitable to them and Hi-def definitely ain't it...

Much as I'd LIKE to be able to afford the Japanese edition of the Blu ray, A) it's out of the price range I'm willing to pay for it; and B) it's insanely expensive for a feature film release that doesn't even have English subs that I'm aware of!