WB making live action Pepe Le Pew movie?

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: WB making live action Pepe Le Pew movie?

Post by EricJ » October 9th, 2010, 8:31 pm

Dacey wrote:Neither "Alvin" movie opened on Christmas day, Eric.
Okay, so they wanted a Wednesday-boost opening, and Alvin 2 opened on the 23rd....Picky, picky. :P

In terms of theory, however, let's make a bet as to which unworthy movie makes MORE money than it deserves to this season:
Yogi, which opens during the last week before vacation in which no parent wants to go near a mall until January, or the Jack Black "Gulliver's Travels", which has a Fox-based Christmas-weekend opening, plenty of kid-hype, and a lot of naive parents thinking the movie will be better than it is, just on harmless association? (Even though Fox already has its own 3D-family tentpole with Narnia two weeks before, but noo, that's not commercial enough for them...)
Yogi has pretty much been left to its own devices, and heaven help it against Narnia and Tron...But if the Black plague ends up becoming a $150 smash in the first week, will we be resolved to accept the menace of calendar dates? :shock:

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » October 10th, 2010, 2:16 pm

Rather Pepe than Smurfs.

A Hong Kong Phooey movie is on the way too.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 11th, 2010, 4:58 am

Eric's talking tosh (again) :roll:

If Alvin 1 had been a total hated thing even by those who saw it, it would never have shifted the number of DVD copies it did. And that's what counts.

Whatever a movie makes in a theater, the studios wait to see the DVD sales. If they're good, a sequel gets made. If they're bad - and a bad word of mouth hit in the theater would result in low DVD sales - then they don't. But they made an Alvin 2, which suggests that Alvin 1 was a hit in the theater, for whatever reason, but it sustained a good healthy life on home video too.

Hence Alvin 2, hence all the other live/CG features, all of which look the same and may as well be a continuing franchise/sequel/genre of their own. Change the character, but the movie's the same. And they'll rework it and rework it until two or three of them tank big time in a row. But it's not going to happen while this is the only stuff being made available to family audiences...

But...from now on, Eric...get your facts right or I'm simply going to just start deleting your posts rather than put up with the usual snide comments, which I wouldn't mind if you got over the anger and stopped seeing red in order to back up your rants with some honest facts. Maybe once or twice in the time you've been here have you actually done that. The rest of the time? Waste of space posts that routinely get complaints in from other readers. Time to stop, or I'll stop them for you...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » October 11th, 2010, 8:18 am

Ben, how do we even know if this is going to do well or not? Kids{Some of them I know} are a little disturbed by this while the adults however are just disgusted about it. But old saying goes "Money talks". So if the CG bugs film gets out, will be the most strong enough criticism to put an end to all of this? Not being rude just saying nothing lasts forever you know.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 11th, 2010, 9:34 am

I think you missed my point...?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by EricJ » October 11th, 2010, 2:11 pm

Ben wrote:Whatever a movie makes in a theater, the studios wait to see the DVD sales. If they're good, a sequel gets made. If they're bad - and a bad word of mouth hit in the theater would result in low DVD sales - then they don't. But they made an Alvin 2, which suggests that Alvin 1 was a hit in the theater, for whatever reason, but it sustained a good healthy life on home video too.
That's a bit naive: Unlike regular grownup movies that we rush go down to Blockbuster to compensate for not seeing (or buy on Blu because they might have explosions in them), kids' movies sell on DVD because parents never got around to them in the theater. Kids under 12 aren't the ones who buy DVD's.
If "Garfield" shows up at Target for $7.99, or even a new release for $14.99, it becomes more of a harmless option to toss a copy in the shopping cart than it had been to find a hectic weekend to pile the kids into the minivan, drive out to the mall and see it onscreen for $20-$30 total, popcorn included--There's always a need for new unseen "babysitting disk" fodder for Friday nights or car trips, and if this one at least promises some cuteness to it on a budget, why not? (If "Cats & Dogs 2" or "Marmaduke" jump to the #1 or 2 DVD sales spot on their first week, just for promising cute hijinks with funny-looking CGI pets on the cover and no specific knowledge of the plot, would that mean they were universally beloved in theaters across the country? I don't quite recall that to be the case. :? )

After which, of course, the producers immediately greenlight a sequel for theaters because "the disks sold so well".

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 11th, 2010, 3:11 pm

Actually, Eric, when I saw "The Squeakuel," there were plenty of adults and teenagers there without any little kids to be seen sitting with them.

Whether people like to admit it or not, these movies *do* have their fans...they're just not as outspoken as the people who hate them. ;)

If a movie just appeals to little kids, it's not going to sell.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 11th, 2010, 4:58 pm

To an extent, Eric, but then if a film was so poor in theaters, word of mouth would still reach the home video crowd, and when mommy goes to pick the latest $7.99 Target babysitter, either the kid or another parent would say, somewhere along the line, "awe, not that one, I heard it sucked".

Bottom line: these movies do well in theaters and home video because people watch 'em and, gasp, like 'em. And then there are more. And they will keep coming until two or three big budget ones flop. Marmaduke's failure itself won't stop the trend, but Yogi, Smurfs and whatever other one comes out soon all underperforming in quick succession? They'd then be more careful about how much money they spend, that's for sure.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » October 11th, 2010, 9:09 pm

The real question is how Tangled will do. I'm still miffed at Alvin and the Chipmunks 2 out-grossing The Princess and the Frog. At least, the first one had the excuse of being the only family film out in the marketplace at the time (as Enchanted already been a hit and left in time for Alvin's arrival).

But, how parents can even look at the posters for both films and say "yes, let's go see the film with the annoying squirrels instead of the hand-drawn musical animated feature from Disney" just continues to perplex me to this day.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 11th, 2010, 9:30 pm

One hates to say it, but two thoughts pop to mind:

Kids pressured their parents to see what they saw as the "cool" film.

OR

Most grown-ups that buy movie tickets aren't interested in classic Disney animation.

Either way, it's a little sad.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » October 12th, 2010, 12:31 am

Piping in here --

Classic Disney animation has had its ups and downs since Snow White for a variety of reasons.

Snow White was a huge hit because A) it was the first film of its kind (full-color, synchronized sound, lushly animated with characters based on human design instead of anthromorphic characters); B) it hit during the right time in history -- Great Depression, before World War II when the overseas markets (mainly Europe) were still open; and C) it was a great film to boot. By most measures, it's a very well-made film and still one of the best animated films ever produced.

Leap forward a few years and we see the Disney films AREN'T doing that well in spite of better-trained artists, higher-quality animation, and an evolution in story-telling. I'm sorry, but these were NOT formulaic films... They were very different films from one another. You couldn't mistake Pinocchio for Snow White any more than you could say Dumbo, Bambi, or Fantasia were the same film! These were hardly "road/buddy" films (Pixar) OR films done with stunt-casting (every studio is guilty of this) like many of the films today. These films just happened to be finished and released at the worst possible time in history for films of their type -- World War II. They were hugely expensive films that just weren't going to make back their money without overseas receipts (excepting the much cheaper Dumbo) and one film in particular, Fantasia, was so different that it still baffles (or puts to sleep) over half the audience that sees it 70 years later!

The 1950s films, considered the second Golden Era of Disney, were half-successful (Cinderella, Peter Pan) and half-failures (Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty). What is sure about that decade was that Disney management was so nervous about the prospects of future features that they decided to stack the deck as it were and implemented cost-saving measures like Xerox and recycled animation after 1959. For all the good character animation moments in the 1960s and 1970s era features, audience members do get annoyed by the "scratchier, sketchier" look of the finished animation, the reduced detail in the imagery, the all-black or grey inklines, and overly familiar-looking recycled animation.

(As much as I think of myself as not being particularly shallow, I have to admit I HATE the sketchy look of the 1960s/1970s era Disney animated films. I have a few that I like -- Robin Hood being one -- but I can't say I'm sorry to see the "Xerox sketchy" look go.)

Flash-forward to the late 1980s... a new Disney regime comes and some money gets pumped back into feature animation and the general attitude and outlook is better than it's been in about 3 decades. It's reflected in bouncier, brighter-looking films and just a general feel to the pictures that hasn't been witnessed since at least the mid-1950s. Audiences respond to that and the newer films (Mermaid, Beauty & the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King) make tons of money. What's old is new again, and because human beings have notoriously short memories they respond to the films like they're ground-breaking -- which they really aren't... They're picking up from what was left behind in the 1950s for the most part.

Things do downhill from about the mid-1990s onward because people get used to regular doses of spectacle -- I think it was a BIG mistake to do yearly releases myself --, DreamWorks becomes a decent competitor after a few starting stumbles, Disney competes against itself with Pixar, and the post-1994 Disney films generally feel less special and rushed to completion with a certain amount of bloat -- whether that bloat shows up on screen or not.

Chances are that the Disney films will come full-circle again unless too much rot has set in at the top courtesy of the Eisner regime. One fundamental difference between the pre-1980s films (1960s and 1970s era) and the post-1992 films is that the pre-'80s films stayed within budget. A good part of the reason why the newer films haven't been as profitable is their outrageous production costs -- caused in part by managerial interference and rush to go into production without stories fully nailed down. For all the severe criticisms of the Eisner era managerial staff and their tendencies help fudge productions, Walt Disney was also guilty of stopping and restarting productions and going well over budget, too.

He was very lucky his brother was a good money man...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 12th, 2010, 6:02 am

You missed out the 1940s Package Features, George, which were not box office hits by any means.

Dare I say it, but hand-drawn animation just feels "old" to most kids, or something that they watch on TV. They go to the movies now to see farting CG characters doing the same old thing each and every movie.

It's depressing... :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » October 12th, 2010, 9:42 pm

2D animation to children is about ad dead as can be. To them, it's the stuff you can see fo free on TV! CGI and 3D sperate itself from television, they can only be seen on the film screen (CGI is on tv as well, but only The clone Wars has done it well)

As for the CGI/Live-Action combo film debate, I have something new to throw into the water. Dacey bought up a good point: teens will go see the big Live/CGI films (that's the term I coined ofr shorter u sgae in this post. Please don't mind it) That's why Marmaduke and Cats & Dogs 2 failed. They had no appeal for adults. Chipmunks, Scooby-Doo, Yogi Bear and all the looney tunes gang hold psecial places in the hearts of adults. Plus, they're messages are easy to convey to kids (in the ne Yogi BEar trailer for instance, kids immediatly get that Yogi steals food to eat, whiich the rest of us have now for half a century at this point), it's easy corss generation appeal.

Pepe Le Pew is an easy one as his feelings of lust for Penelope Pussycat are simple to put in a Cartoon Network tv spot for the kids and easy to remind adults of "the locksmith of love, yes?" Bugs Bunny, Marvin and Speedy Gonzales are also easy to put on a commercial. If it ever gets made, Hong Kong Phooey and Tom and Jerry will also be easy to promote in the cross gen way.

This type of pomotion applies to CGI movies as well. There's a reason why the rousing Dragon (action for teens), Toy Story 3 (memorable characters and story) & Despicable Me (THE MINIONS!!!) appealed to everyone. The reasons I have shown give off why people besides kids would see it. That's why Alpha and Omega and Legend of The Guardians failed (how is a poster of a wet flying owl supposed to be enticing?)

I guess my point is , is that studios will make films now that at least THEY think will appeal to everyone. But sans Marmaduke, most of these films successess have proved them right.
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 13th, 2010, 1:15 pm

I think, Lotso, that you just very nicely summed up pretty much all the comments that had already been made in this conversation! ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 13th, 2010, 3:17 pm

James' front page post made me think of this topic:
http://animatedviews.com/2010/why-do-we ... ted-films/

Why do we cry so easily at animated films?

Because most of 'em are just so plain baaaaaad. :(