No DVD Rental Kiosk gets New-Release DVDs on Street Date!

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

No DVD Rental Kiosk gets New-Release DVDs on Street Date!

Post by GeorgeC » December 20th, 2010, 6:38 pm

If you want to read the specifics in detail, go here => http://www.slashfilm.com/blockbuster-lo ... %2FFilm%29

I can summarize the basics here.
The Hollywood Studios want to maximize their money so they do NOT want the cheaper rental alternatives like NetFlix, Red Box, or the Blockbuster Kiosks to have new DVDs for rental on the street date release of DVDs.... They are demanding and getting a 28-day window from the kiosks to sell as many new DVDs and maximize Pay-Per-View for newly home-released films. After that 28-day moratorium, the kiosks can start renting the month-old releases.

This does not affect the remaining Blockbuster Stores. Under terms of their agreements with the Studios, they still get to rent out new-release DVDs/Blu rays on street date. Of course, they charge more the $1/$1.50 (DVD/BD) fee of the kiosks.

I'd say save your money and rent the films later IF you can wait those $28 days. I'd much rather spend $1 versus $3 or higher that Blockbuster charges. Movie rentals are free if you borrow from a local library and return them on time!

Rentals are definitely much cheaper than paying $15 or more for a film you're not sure of... definitely movies you haven't watched. Most of us are on tight budgets and can't afford to buy every interesting-looking film that comes out. For others of us, space for films is definitely getting to be an issue!

The 28-day rule affected me personally over the weekend. I went to Red Box to rent Alice in Wonderland (2010 Burton version) and Despicable Me. Alice had been rotated out of rentals for the local Red Boxes. Despicable Me isn't available from Red Box until January 11th because of the new Studio contracts. I can understand some things from the Studios' perspective but at the same time if a film was lousy and failed already I don't see that extra rental revenue will make much difference! Failures don't break even well over 90% of the time.

P.S. -- I did get to rent How To Train Your Dragon over the weekend. Easily the best DreamWorks animation film I've seen. Also caught Kung Fu Panda on FX over the weekend, too. (They've been running that film on FX all time this past month!) Pretty good once you get past a slow beginning. It's not unlike Kung Fu Hustle in some ways...