DreamWorks presents Peabody and Sherman

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: DreamWorks presents Peabody and Sherman

Post by droosan » March 7th, 2014, 10:23 am

EricJ wrote:(And for the Nth time, Sherman is not his freakin' "adopted son"! He's his pet boy!
Does your mind explode when the local animal shelter sponsors a 'pet adoption' event..? :wink:

.. I know what you mean, though. Ted Key's simple notion of "a dog with a pet boy" was what had sold Jay Ward on including Peabody's Improbable History as a segment on Rocky and His Friends (Key had previously pitched PIH as a separate TV series, which the networks turned-down).

But, what 'works' brilliantly with a throwaway line in a 6-minute segment on a recurring weekly TV show is not necessarily gonna work as well for a 90-minute mega-budget feature. I'm willing to cut DreamWorks some slack on that, at least.

That said .. I'm still on-the-fence as to whether I can really enjoy this. It's extremely difficult to not compare and measure this new film against fond memories of the original. :|

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 7th, 2014, 11:15 am

droosan wrote:Does your mind explode when the local animal shelter sponsors a 'pet adoption' event..? :wink:
No, but when Dreamworks starts trying to plug in the parent-friendly "Message" plot of "Will Peabody learn to reach out to his neglected son, learn the importance of family and become a better foster father?" that's, that's just....look, just watch the stupid cartoons, already! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 7th, 2014, 12:41 pm

That's from their Shrek the third and Sharktale days. They have't done that in a long time (I don't count Dragon since it was about proving himself for himself in addition to his father, as well as to his clan/tribe.)

And Eric, nobody is forcing you to watch these cartoons you know. :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 7th, 2014, 1:50 pm

Come on, Vi, I don't expect Shark Tale trashing from you. I need at least one outspoken fellow fan here. ;)

And I don't think that Ben saw the same Lego Movie that I did. :)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 7th, 2014, 3:53 pm

Oh gosh, ok I'll be honest...SharkTale is a very guilty pleasure for me. It does make me laugh, although through the years I've been able to see what a mess of a story it had (as well as even then tired pop culture references). Yeah I love the twin jellyfish, love Martin Scorsese's character (even tho his "trick" of being a blow-fish was obviously ripped from Nemo) and even some of the designs (the jellyfish, and Lola). Will Smith was obviously playing himself, and his macho-100 miles an hour fast-talking personality was pure DW then, but still....it's a fun film (some of the time :wink: ).*

*Weird story, when the film premiered at Cannes the stars had to ride an inflatable shark. Will Smith whispered to (I think) Angelina Jolie and said: "You want to work in Hollywood again...get on the (expletive) fish!" (sorry :wink: :oops: )
Last edited by ShyViolet on March 7th, 2014, 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 7th, 2014, 3:57 pm

Ben wrote:
Instead we saw The Lego Movie. Big mistake. Nuff said.

OMG Ben...I'm so happy I'm not alone! :) OK, OK, I haven't seen the movie yet, :oops: :oops: and although I'm happy people are enjoying it, the look and idea turns me off so much that I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot clown pole!*

*Simpsons Krusty reference :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 7th, 2014, 4:08 pm

Vi, might be best to update your post. I know you didn't technically use the (extreme for a "PG forum") profanity, but we all know what you meant. ;)

Simply place "(expletive)" in its place and you'll be fine. :)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 7th, 2014, 4:10 pm

Done. Sorry about that, didn't realize. :? :oops:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 7th, 2014, 4:17 pm

Thanks. And you're fine. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 7th, 2014, 4:41 pm

Not a masterpiece, but an EXTREMELY fun movie. You guys are missing out!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 7th, 2014, 4:48 pm

Good to hear. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 7th, 2014, 5:02 pm

Yay! Good for DreamWorks. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 7th, 2014, 5:13 pm

Oops, was talking about your discussion of The Lego Movie. Seeing Peabody tonight!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » March 8th, 2014, 12:19 am

I took in a double feature of Mr. Peabody & Sherman with The Wind Rises (a strange combination, to be sure) this afternoon.

Like I'd said, this morning .. it's difficult for me to judge MP&S objectively, as a longtime fan of the TV cartoon. I do allow that a simple concept which 'works' with little explanation as a short 6-minute weekly installment doesn't necessarily lend itself to a 90-minute feature in quite the same way.

This is a fun 'father-son bonding' story .. with extremely lovely designs, overall -- and some peppy character animation.

But -- IMO -- the plot is kinda all-over-the-place, and the story-telling (like many movies involving a time machine) is full of deus ex machina gobbledegook. :|

I didn't hate it; there are many fun gags and clever bits of business. I especially enjoyed the non-verbal mannerisms of Penny's mom, who seems to constantly 'apologize' for her husband's rudeness by means of subtle shakes of her head and nervous smiles.

This movie just feels .. over-thought. The primary focus of the original show was upon the revelation that all the major figures of history were self-absorbed idiots, who each needed Peabody's assistance to succeed. Here, the focus is upon the relationship between Mr. Peabody and Sherman, themselves .. which is something the original show barely ever touched, outside of the "this is my pet boy, Sherman" line which EricJ and I discussed earlier today.

The fact that I immediately followed-up this movie by viewing The Wind Rises (which was freakin' excellent, on every level) also might've skewed my impression of it, just a bit. I may give it another chance -- by itself -- later. :mrgreen:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 8th, 2014, 10:23 am

droosan wrote: The primary focus of the original show was upon the revelation that all the major figures of history were self-absorbed idiots, who each needed Peabody's assistance to succeed. Here, the focus is upon the relationship between Mr. Peabody and Sherman, themselves .. which is something the original show barely ever touched, outside of the "this is my pet boy, Sherman" line which EricJ and I discussed earlier today.
Actually, the matter was touched on in the first pilot cartoon: ("I dabbled in the stock market, where I was known as the Woof of Wall Street." ;) )
After Peabody wins "pet" rights to Sherman in court, Sherman tries to hug "Daddy!", which rankles Mr. P no end: "Sherman, let's get one thing clear: I shall NEVER submit to being referred to by that ridiculous name....You shall call me 'Mr. Peabody'."

(And I assume they had some plot excuse for upgrading the WABAC into a flying ship instead of a door.)