DreamWorks presents Peabody and Sherman

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

DreamWorks presents Peabody and Sherman

Post by Dan » January 17th, 2011, 10:37 am

As if we haven't had enough films based on animated TV shows, DreamWorks Animation just announced to their staff that they will be making an adaptation of Peabody and Sherman from the Rocky and Bullwinkle Show (the latter of which was itself adapted into a film in 2000 by Universal).

Rob Minkoff will direct from a script written by Jeffrey Ventimilia and Joshua Sternin, the latter two having had a hand in writing the script to the Yogi Bear film that came out last month.

One role has been immediately cast, which will have Robert Downey Jr. voicing the brilliant canine Mr. Peabody.

You can read more about it here, via Entertainment Weekly:
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/01/17/r ... y-sherman/

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 17th, 2011, 12:30 pm

I thought this project died a while ago. Not sure if it's a good idea... in fact, it's likely not, but we'll see.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 17th, 2011, 2:09 pm

Classic Media doesn't give up on their x-produced live-action projects easily--
Look how tenaciously they plugged away at a Rocky & Bullwinkle, Mr. Magoo, and Underdog movie, before we got...whatever it was that we got.

As for why we're getting this one NOW...guess Jeff got a little too envious of Warner's Yogi before it opened. That'll teach him. :P
Last edited by EricJ on January 18th, 2011, 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

American_dog_2008

Re: DreamWorks presents Peabody and Sherman

Post by American_dog_2008 » January 17th, 2011, 5:43 pm

I haven't heard about Peabody and Sherman before, but sounds good.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » January 18th, 2011, 7:40 am

The last time I heard about this was when it was months before the Rock and Bullwinkle movie was released. After its disaster it was never heard from again....I'll wait for some images of it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 10th, 2011, 10:33 pm

This link is a little old but has some cute concept art: :)

http://collider.com/mr-peabody-and-sher ... art/72672/
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by laughingoctopus » December 11th, 2011, 3:21 pm

I like the look of the concept art. Except for those darned "Dreamworks eyebrows"!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » December 11th, 2011, 4:58 pm

As mentioned in the Brave thread, recently: it's certainly okay to hate the smirky 'raised-eyebrow' expression .. but please realize that it's a 'stock' facial expression, which is over-used by everybody :!:

Pixar ..

Blue Sky ..

Sony Pictures Animation ..

and Disney ..

:arrow: these images all came from the first few Google Image Search results, from entering just the movie title into the search string (I didn't even bother to include the word 'eyebrows').

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by laughingoctopus » December 11th, 2011, 5:09 pm

Oh my... So it's the "general animation eyebrows". I guess I can't blame Dreamworks for everything! :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » December 11th, 2011, 5:18 pm

Nope! As evidenced by the Genie and Timon, that expression 'pre-dates' Dreamworks. Though, I certainly won't deny that DW tends to 'over-use' it, too. :wink:

As both ShyViolet and I have observed, it tends to especially be invoked in promotional artwork for posters, ads, etc .. it's a short-cut method for conveying 'attitude!' in a static image.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » December 12th, 2011, 1:23 am

ShyViolet wrote:This link is a little old but has some cute concept art: :)
http://collider.com/mr-peabody-and-sher ... art/72672/
Yeah, but they picked the wrong vintage clip to use as example-- :P
I would've picked something more like

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » June 20th, 2012, 10:48 am

Just a quick note...the date has been changed from MArch 2014 to November 8, 2013. Interesting date change, as I think this shows come confidence in the project. Not a big fan of the cast so far (much preferred Robert Downy Jr. as Mr. Peabody instead of Ty Burrell) but if this date choice pans out right, we might be in for a treat come next November.
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 18th, 2012, 2:49 pm

DreamWorks Wants Classic Media
by Whitney, July 17, 2012
Casper the Friendly Ghost, Richie Rich, Gumby, Rocky & Bulllwinkle, and even Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer are owned by Classic Media. DreamWorks, according to the International Business Times, is looking to acquire the company to bolster its less than successful stock this quarter.
...IOW, they're getting so overconfident about Peabody & Sherman, they want to BUY the cow to get the free milk.

(It would be nice to have some actual video company own CM to get more of the classics out on Blu-ray, now that the Weinsteins don't own them anymore, but they're quite happy where they are at Shout Factory--Not as prestigious, but they get a lot more respect.
Not to mention, most of Classic's more active movie projects have already been filmed, most of them cleaned up out of the memo bin when Disney went on that 90's binge and made Mr. Magoo, George of the Jungle, My Favorite Martian and Underdog. MP&S was pretty down near the bottom of the barrel, literally and figuratively.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 24th, 2013, 12:22 pm

The new poster is cute but I'm still concerned about whether or not children will really be able to take to these characters. But Rob Miinkoff is directing so that makes me more confident.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 27th, 2013, 8:01 am

New poster (I think) plus article on DW and Bible movies. I wish they'd make more too but....not gonna happen. :(

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2 ... its-n.aspx