Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 6th, 2007, 1:53 am

Thanks, but I already reported that on the 2nd, JV. :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 6th, 2007, 9:21 am

James is in the same camp as me on Open Season, guys. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 6th, 2007, 7:35 pm

Oh ok, thanks. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 6th, 2007, 11:10 pm

JV IS TIZ!!! PIXAR wrote:Cars 2 Disc DVD Set!
To clarify: That link is about the BluRay release (not standard DVD), despite the title of the post. I'm sure that a 2-disc DVD set will also be coming, but there's no confirmation yet.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 7th, 2007, 12:39 am

I wouldn't be surprised if Disney did not release a new dvd for Cars. I don't think Disney has ever done a double dip this soon after a release. And as Disney and Apple (Steve Jobs is the CEO and a Disney board member, not to mention their biggest individual shareholder) are major Blu-Ray supporters this could be a way to promote the format by giving it what would be its first real exclusive disc.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 7th, 2007, 12:41 am

Open Season was OK, if you look at it as fun eye candy. The visuals are incredible in HD though - which was the main reason I bought it as there aren't a ton of animated BD's yet.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 7th, 2007, 2:12 am

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for answering, James. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 7th, 2007, 11:55 am

James wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if Disney did not release a new dvd for Cars. This could be a way to promote the format by giving it what would be its first real exclusive disc.
I agree...I think Cars on standard-def DVD is it.

But, its first "exclusive" DVD? As I predicted in my Chicken Little review from last year, it seems that film is getting Disney's Blu-Ray love first, with several exclusive features.

Check out my bit on the front page at Animated Views today for more and my thoughts.

Sorry Rand...but it looks like the hi-def decision has been made for me. With WB announcing that they will issue everything on BRD anyway, it looks like Sony may have one the fight, the friggers! ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 7th, 2007, 11:00 pm

No worries. :) I always figured I'd likely end up with a BluRay player eventually anyway. In the meantime, I'm enjoying my cheaper HD DVD player, along with King Kong, Forbidden Planet, The Mummy, and Batman Begins. I may go BluRay too by the end of the year, if prices come down sufficiently.

I agree with what you said earlier. Warner (and Paramount) gave it away when they decided to support both formats. With Uni the only major exclusive to HD DVD, the outcome's been decided. HD DVD will likely be around for at least a year or two, though. And hopefully my player will keep working for a long time.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 8th, 2007, 7:27 am

I think Universal will be pulled over to BRD by DreamWorks, their one time partner, of all things!

When Spielberg sees BRD is the way to go and sales are sufficient for his movies to make big splashes in release, you'll be that we'll see the DreamWorks movies hitting BRD (especially now they are Paramount babies). After that, BRD will be his format of choice and he will lobby Universal to release his films this way too (Jaws, Jurassic, ET, Schindler's, etc). Once <I>their</I> toe has been dipped, there's no turning back for them.

And that's the way it is folks! ;)
Ben wrote:It looks like Sony may have one the fight, the friggers!
I can't believe I made that mistake. Of course I meant "won". :oops:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by JV IS TIZ!!! PIXAR » March 9th, 2007, 5:11 pm

[url=http://www.jvpixarnews.com]JV PIXAR NEWS[/url]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » March 9th, 2007, 7:08 pm

If france gets it, Belgium gets it
Pretty nice coverart

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 10th, 2007, 11:32 am

In my brushing up on the format war and where we are now with it, the word in the industry is that it's far from over. This Christmas is apparently where it's at.

The sales right now, even though BRD is outselling HD-DVD by two to one, are still minute compared to what a standard DVD sells, and the format war is "still to be won" according to independent analysts.

AAARRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

I'm pretty much ready to jump into Blu-Ray Disc. Recently I picked up Hollywoodland, The Departed and The Prestige and, HWL apart, I really did start thinking "why am I not buying these in hi-def" (and therefore BRD)?

So...even though I may not pick up a player until later in the year (September is my birthday, so the pefect time to give myself a treat!) I may well start buying BRD titles. Apocalypto's out soon and if the visuals I've seen so far are anything to go by, it's going to look spectacular.

After all, the reason I got into LaserDisc over VHS was for "better picture and extras". Now that everyone's in the DVD camp, the reason I'd go hi-def is "better picture and extras"! I started picking up LD titles a couple of months before I got my player and the same with DVD, stacking up a fair few discs before buying my original machine at Christmas.

I <I>was</I> basically waiting for Pioneer or someone to put out a combi player and would have bought the second gen version with any bugs ironed out. BUT...I really do see me kicking myself in a year's time when I have the capability to play HD and start thinking about upgrading titles that are out here and now.

Do I sound like I am justifying myself? ;)

My name is Ben, and I'm a discaholic.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 10th, 2007, 11:37 am

Hello, Ben!! :D
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 10th, 2007, 11:42 am

Hello Violet.

Would you like to share?

Sorry...this is getting off topic. :)