The Dark Knight Rises

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Post by ShyViolet » November 27th, 2011, 6:38 pm

I wouldn't call Ledger's Joker a "punk", but I get your points. Actually, I can't help but think that Nolan purposely chose Bane as a villain because he'd less of a "comic-book" like figure than Mr. Freeze or The Penguin. The Penguin fit in perfectly in Tim Burton's fantasy universe of punished outsiders, but Nolan's is another world. That doesn't mean his film won't be great though, but it's quite a different take on the Batman legend than Burton's vision.

(I can't help but wish--much as I love Nolan--that a future director might steer the franchise back into a more "comic book"-like feel. I love the Batman universe and would love to see more Two Face and The Riddler.)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 27th, 2011, 7:29 pm

ShyViolet wrote:The Penguin fit in perfectly in Tim Burton's fantasy universe of punished outsiders, but Nolan's is another world. That doesn't mean his film won't be great though, but it's quite a different take on the Batman legend than Burton's vision.
The idea that the Penguin sloshed around sewers and whined about being "misunderstood" was definitely Tim Burton's (own) fantasy world.
In the running-for-Mayor plot, Danny DeVito and the original screenwriter created the Penguin of the comics, a coarse, sardonic wisecracker who knew how to con his way into the Rich Man's Gotham and how to skim his own bit of profit off of it.
He wasn't a "punished" outsider (in that he didn't slosh around sewers, lest he cover his tuxedo with crap), he was just naturally a product of the new Gotham taste for motif villains.

He was due for a reboot, but not as much as Bane was--Non-fans had never heard of the character, and it was pretty clear that Schumacher never had, either...Warner/DC forced the character on him, and Schumacher just winged it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » November 27th, 2011, 9:23 pm

I can't believe I'm typing this but I agree with EricJ's view of Nolan's Batman. I know he has gotten praise for his vision but his Batman and way too serious for my liking. Why does it have to feel like it could really exist. We are talking about a grown man dressing up as a bat for crying out loud. It needs a level of fantasy to be realisitic. Nolan's Batman movies are too serious for their own good and a lot of fun has been sucked from them. I can only imagine what Nolan has done with Catwoman.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 28th, 2011, 1:18 am

EricJ wrote: The idea that the Penguin sloshed around sewers and whined about being "misunderstood" was definitely Tim Burton's (own) fantasy world.
In the running-for-Mayor plot, Danny DeVito and the original screenwriter created the Penguin of the comics, a coarse, sardonic wisecracker who knew how to con his way into the Rich Man's Gotham and how to skim his own bit of profit off of it.
He wasn't a "punished" outsider (in that he didn't slosh around sewers, lest he cover his tuxedo with crap), he was just naturally a product of the new Gotham taste for motif villains.
True, but I liked Tim's interpretation of the Penguin, especially since the Animated Series of the 90s presented him as sophisticated but lonely as well. After all he IS deformed and wants to be accepted by high society. Who wouldn't feel "punished" in those circumstances?
Also, he was never really accepted by Gotham society, remember how those two Mayor aids treated him, plus how the whole town turned on him after they heard what he was really thinking about them. He then runs back to the sewers and says: "I am not a man, and my name is Penguin not Oswald!"
Bill1978 wrote: We are talking about a grown man dressing up as a bat for crying out loud. It needs a level of fantasy to be realisitic. Nolan's Batman movies are too serious for their own good and a lot of fun has been sucked from them. I can only imagine what Nolan has done with Catwoman.
I agree that there's sometimes there's kind of a discrepancy between the comic book world Nolan is adapting and the "real" world he places it in, but IMO there's mostly a good balance. My only real problem is that we didn't see enough "Joker" in TDK; he didn't laugh as much as he should have and we should have seen him perform more violent acts in the context of "humor", not just psychotic desperation. On Catwoman, I'm quite interested in his interpretation since Selina Kyle in BR made such a strong impression. My guess is that he's steering clear of Burton's put-upon abused secretary and going in a different direction.

I do kind of wish this wasn't Nolan's last film as I would have loved to see him adapt more well-known Batman villains.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 3rd, 2011, 6:41 pm

Terry Gilliam interview where he comments on The Dark Knight and other films:

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011/12/ ... nsformers/

(some adult comments)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 4th, 2011, 7:39 pm

First six minutes of TDKR to premiere before Imax screenings of MI:4:

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/12/02/d ... mpossible/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » December 4th, 2011, 9:57 pm

As if I couldn't get more excited for MI4....
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 6th, 2011, 7:44 pm

Very unique, psychological fan-made poster for TDKR:

http://www.firstshowing.net/2011/check- ... ght-rises/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by phineusbright247 » December 7th, 2011, 7:32 am

Ben wrote:What does "Hathaway is acting out as Catwoman" mean? That she's not actually Catwoman?

I'm not blown away, since she's not wearing any protective head gear and you'd think that anyone in her situation would wear some protection (just like Bats). It looks sort of non-special, but the blue-lit goggles also give it a campy touch. This doesn't feel very "Nolan", more toy-like if anything, without being "special".
Technically thats absolutely correct but then again she does look hot.....would like to see her upstraight in that tight suit.......
i remember that in the last movie the dresses were kept subtle.......except for batman who has to wear the suit.....the best part was joker as he didnt dress up to be mad man in a nice suite (as in the older movise) but rather a MAD man in any suite (you know what i mean) which gave him that rabid look that was awsome but from the look of these new ones i m guessing they are in for some change.....hope the acting doesn't suffer......

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 7th, 2011, 5:49 pm

I think Hathaway will do a good job. :)

Wish we could have finally gotten Robin though...oh well. :?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 7th, 2011, 6:24 pm

That'll come in the fourth one, Vi. Or the next reboot, which I'd bet will go more fun and campy.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 7th, 2011, 6:53 pm

Cool! :)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » December 8th, 2011, 12:51 pm

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=35811

RIP, Jerry Robinson 1922-2011...

Jerry Robinson, the first major art assistant to Bob Kane on the Batman comics, passed away this Wednesday.

Robinson was a cult figure on the comic convention circuit (primarily in New York City in recent years) and recipient of multiple cartoonist and comic book awards for his artistic achievements and work on behalf of comic creators' rights -- most notably a national drive during the 1970s to force Warner Bros and DC Comics to acknowledge Jerry Siegel and Joel Shuster as the creators of Superman in print. This resulted in their byline on the character being restored on every appearance of the character in-print from the mid-1970s onward as well as an annual pension to Siegel and Shuster (transferable to their heirs, I think) for the remainder of their lives.

Robinson claimed credit for creating The Joker and co-creating Robin early in the run of the comic books, Batman and Detective Comics. His claims were refuted by Bob Kane with considerable evidence provided by Kane that The Joker was most likely based on Conrad Veidt's portrayal of Cesar in the Universal silent film, "The Man Who Laughs" and was in fact a collaborative co-creation of Bill Finger and Bob Kane.

Regardless of disputes over the authorship and creation of characters, Robinson's arrival on the comic series during the early "Golden Age of American (Superhero) Comics" heralded a dramatic improvement in the look of the feature which saw many of the classic Batman stories, subplots,and villains introduced. Robinson himself drew many classic Batman comic covers in addition to ghosting for Bob Kane's art on the comic and embellishing Kane's layouts.

(Bob Kane largely retired from doing pencil art on the Batman comics in the early 1940s. It's been acknowledged in recent years -- by both Bob Kane and ghost artists like Dick Sprang and Sheldon Moldoff -- that much of the art on Batman was created by other artists while Kane retained his creative byline. Bill Finger never received a co-creator credit during his lifetime and DC Comics is not legally contracted to recognize his contributions to the comics...)

Robinson's most recent contributions to the Batman mythos included a stint as a creative consultant on director Chris Nolan's Batman films.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 8th, 2011, 7:25 pm

A wonderful career he had, and fortunately he saw himself appreciated in his lifetime. He had many contributions besides Batman, of course, as one can read about in the articles coming out today.

I was very happy to meet him at the 2008 Comic-Con and get a signed 8x10 of a classic cover. His wife looked very proud, too, and rightly so. it was just sad that relatively few people were lining up for him compared to DC's flavor-of-thje-month in the next booth. I was like, "Hello! This was the first Joker artist! You should be begging for his autograph!"

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » December 8th, 2011, 8:25 pm

I'm not surprised, Rand... I'm not surprised.

People in general are very ignorant of history whether it's the history of their country, politics, or most of pop culture.

The vast majority of comic fans are guys in their mid- to late-20s; they are callow people who have no interest in learning about the art form and its foundations. They are the equivalent of fans of slasher flicks and action films who go to see films just to see gore or stuff blown up; again, no depth to these people or appreciation for what has gone on before and for the better storylines and artists who have worked in the field.

The sad fact is that a large portion of Batman fans would say the latest creative teams or Frank Miller (who's vastly overrated) are the greatest Batman artists/writers of all time with no basis for comparison of the latest 70 years of stories! Pathetic but true... These same people would dismiss Batman: The Brave and The Bold without bothering to sit through at least a few episodes to understand the direction of that series.

Bat-fans can be extremely narrow-minded and focused on one interpretation of the character...