"Wreck-It Ralph"

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: "Wreck-It Ralph"

Post by EricJ » March 25th, 2013, 9:24 pm

Ben wrote:I know for a fact that someone I know, who isn't "young" and who voted in the Baftas and the Oscars, didn't have time to watch all their screeners this year and went for Brave based on it being "the Pixar movie". When I said they should check WIR out (well after the Oscars had been and gone) and they did, after also finally seeing Brave, they said that they preferred it and "wish I'd voted for that one now". But they did vote for Paperman, so I'll let them off... ;)
That was my explanation, too, after having read a few insider Oscar-predicting pundits who were also saying "Haven't yet caught this new Ralph thing the young kids are into; seems to doing fine with the critics, but we know it's Pixar's award every year!"
Outside of the animation fans and the game nuts, Ralph's "unlikely" good audience word of mouth was reaching out slowly to the regular folk by December, and even now most of the posts we see on the net are "I finally rented Ralph on disk, why didn't I go see it in the theaters??"
Uh, YEAH. Why didn't you. Especially the folks with ballots.

As for Brave, I admit, even I thought "magic" Pixar Can Do Anything was going to pull theirs out of the fire just based on the trailers, and can't blame most of the disgruntled Up/TS3 voters for thinking the same way. We can blame them for not doing their homework, though.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 26th, 2013, 1:01 am

Agreed with Ben's review of the film. Lots of little derivative touches, but overall a nice little film anyhow. With a little more originality (just a script polish, really), this could have been a classic. I do think it should have won the Oscar, though I really liked Pirates.

But I hadn't actually caught the Iron Giant "homage" until reading the review. Ouch! That one was a little too spot-on, now that you mention it.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 26th, 2013, 4:49 am

I even illustrated the point!

Thanks Rand...glad at least someone was able to make their way through it! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 26th, 2013, 9:26 am

Yes, great review, Ben! I agreed with you and really enjoyed reading it! :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 26th, 2013, 2:31 pm

And there I was worrying that I'd get booted outta here! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 10th, 2018, 3:42 pm

So cool that Gal Gadot is joining the cast! Can’t wait to see what “Shank” is like! :). Sounds awesome!

(Although it being a racing game character, I’d love for her to have maybe played Princess Peach in Mario Kart! Lol. :P )
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » August 10th, 2018, 4:29 pm

Any chance of Disney getting Mario characters for this movie went down the toilet after Universal negotiated with Nintendo for months over getting the rights to the franchise for Illumination.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 21st, 2018, 3:10 pm

Yes, this is Disney playing nice at the end of the day, but it sounds like it would've been a very tame joke...

https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/10/19 ... e-internet
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 21st, 2018, 6:26 pm

Dacey wrote:Any chance of Disney getting Mario characters for this movie went down the toilet after Universal negotiated with Nintendo for months over getting the rights to the franchise for Illumination.
Think that pretty well sums up "No"--Universal is stoking the movie-franchise fires, iron-clad CONVINCED that Nintendo will do just as well for their theme parks in NA as it does at Japan's. Exactly as well, to the last decimal.
That's how the trouble usually starts. :?

(And if you really wanted to be see-what-I-did-there, how about "Negotiations went down the pipes"?)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 21st, 2018, 8:33 pm

Dacey wrote:Yes, this is Disney playing nice at the end of the day, but it sounds like it would've been a very tame joke...

https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/10/19 ... e-internet
But...SNL doing that hilarious Undecover Boss skit, where Kylo is exactly a spoilt brat, is okay...?

Seems someone got a little precious and protective over their undercooked villain...?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 22nd, 2018, 12:19 am

I don't think that SNL asked permission...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 22nd, 2018, 3:56 pm

What? With Adam Driver himself as Kylo Ren and official lightsaber VFX and audio, timed to the release of The Force Awakens? Yeah...I’m sure lawyer-hawks-Lucasfilm knew nothing about that... ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 22nd, 2018, 7:54 pm

Oh, okay then. I never saw it.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 22nd, 2018, 11:34 pm

:)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 23rd, 2018, 3:31 am

It is hysterical...I loved this when it came out. :)