"Wreck-It Ralph"

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

"Wreck-It Ralph"

Post by Dacey » June 13th, 2011, 5:12 pm

Since it was just announced, I don't think that we have a discussion thread for this one yet, but if we do somehow, please forgive me. ;)

http://animatedviews.com/2011/reboot-ra ... t-summary/

For whatever reason, I can't get over the fact that this seems to be Disney's take on the whole "villain is the main character" thing that "Despicable Me" and "MegaMind" both already did. Now, granted, those movies didn't involve video games, but you know what I mean.

I do like the cast. Sarah Silverman's humor may be very adult in nature, but she does seem like she has a great voice for animation (she already did a good job with a recent guest spot on "The Simpsons"). And the visuals are sure to be interesting, with Disney getting better and better at computer animation with each film they put out. Plus, the video game worlds will probably be cool to look at.

Any thoughts?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: "Wreck-It Ralph"

Post by Darkblade » June 13th, 2011, 6:45 pm

Not likely going to happen but, will there be a reference to Super Mario Bros 3 in this?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by starlioness » June 13th, 2011, 7:41 pm

yeah, I instantly thought Megamind when I read the summary..

but who knows, it still could be a good movie...

btw, just what are the Disney animated films post Tangled? I know we have Pooh this year.. but after that? there's this movie and are King of the Elves and Snow Queen still happening? or did that get shelved or even outsourced? (like Gnomeo and Juliet)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » June 13th, 2011, 7:44 pm

^ Snow queen got shelved last time I heard. Mort(discworld) was next on the list(Although I can assume it would have came out after Wreck it ralph) but it got shelved due to disney not getting the rights. But there is some fanbase trying to get Disney to bring back the project.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by starlioness » June 13th, 2011, 8:06 pm

yeah, I saw discworld on Jerry Beck's site.. but I have no idea what that is (goes to look)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 13th, 2011, 10:00 pm

Dacey wrote:For whatever reason, I can't get over the fact that this seems to be Disney's take on the whole "villain is the main character" thing that "Despicable Me" and "MegaMind" both already did. Now, granted, those movies didn't involve video games, but you know what I mean.
"Joe Jump"'s been around LITERALLY longer than Rapunzel/Tangled, and the plot had to be constantly updated with every new title to reflect the changes in the videogame industry.
They were married to do this one next (out of the other reclamation/"salvage" projects like Bolt and Tangled), so they may have considered it a conveniently coincidental plot shortcut to compare themselves to Other Nice-Villain Movies, but it's got a longer history than those other two movies combined.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 14th, 2011, 5:14 pm

Mmmmm...I have to say this doesn't leap out as anything that could be super-cool.

Sure, they could get jiggy with the 8-bit visuals and CG imagery and stuff, but it sounds like a cross of what's already been mentioned and a kids' Tron-ish type of thing.

Good to see Disney doing more than just what we expect, but this doesn't sound like anything groundbreaking. And, seriously, with everything Lasseter must be getting pitched (some of hit just having to be on a Pixar level) and he picks this?

It doesn't matter about the long history: perhaps even more of an argument to say "leave it alone, someone else has already taken the meat off these bones". Sometimes, films that go on for ever aren't meant to be made.

PS: I'm sure in a year's time (wow, just a year!?) I'm going to be eating my words and loving Wreck-It Ralph, despite the bad title! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » June 14th, 2011, 8:35 pm

When I first read the title, I was hoping it might have something to do with The Mouse and the Motorcycle / Runaway Ralph, by Beverly Cleary. :|

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by The Zany Bishojo Evalana » June 15th, 2011, 8:49 pm

I was thinking the Rotten Ralph series.
[url=http://rabbithutchiscalling.blogspot.com][img]http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg78/evalana/sig_feet.png[/img][/url]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » June 15th, 2011, 9:33 pm

At first this was called "Joe Jump", then "Reboot Ralph", and was apparently originally about a video game hero who transcended to the worlds of newer video games and had to deal with all that.

That sounded better and less Dreamworks-rip-offing to be sure. And what is with Disney and awful titles lately?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 26th, 2011, 11:51 am

Article on forthcoming animation projects in 2012:

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/1114688 ... ovies.html

(scroll down for promotional image of WIR)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » November 27th, 2011, 9:34 pm

Wish there was a teaser out, or some footage or design work. Just to get me a little excited over the next release. Maybe Disney needsto borrow the publicity machine of Pixar. Pixar movies are always having stills in magazines like Empire or Total Film and little stories. Months in advance. Disney is lucky to get Empire to review their movie LOL

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 28th, 2011, 1:06 am

I love the idea of the film (I'm kind of a sucker for old-time games) and Rich Moore directing is very promising. After all, he was the supervising director on both Futurama AND the Critic. :) Funny how it was called "Joe Jump" at one point, since Mario's original name was Jumpman. (from the Donkey Kong games.)

Wish there was a teaser out too though. :(
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by Macaluso » February 22nd, 2012, 8:19 am

Bill1978 wrote:Wish there was a teaser out, or some footage or design work. Just to get me a little excited over the next release. Maybe Disney needsto borrow the publicity machine of Pixar. Pixar movies are always having stills in magazines like Empire or Total Film and little stories. Months in advance. Disney is lucky to get Empire to review their movie LOL
Okay here's some things.

The Wreck-it Ralph arcade cabinat that was at D23: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdkormMs-Lc

An article from the D23 magazine about it: http://www.dvdizzy.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 087#598087

and well... this :)

It's blurry, but from left to right: Wreck-It Ralph, Wiley from Megaman, Bowser from Super Mario, Zangief from Street Fight, and Robotnik/Eggman from Sonic the Hedgehog. And they're obviously not just parodies like I assumed would be in the movie. Disney clearly got permission to use ACTUAL video game characters in this movie. And that makes me really excited.

There seems to be a lot of you that seems unsure about this movie in the thread. I say read the D23 article and you might get more interested in it and see how much work they appear to be putting into it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » June 9th, 2012, 9:40 pm

So the trailer is finally out. what does everyone think of it?

Quite frankly, I'm more excited about this movie than Brave, and can't WAIT for it. It looks like a lot of fun, they've got great voices, and the creators clearly love video games based on all the cameos (some of them pretty obscure, like the rhino from Altered Beast). Pretty cool that the various game companies allowed them to use their characters.