Arthur Christmas

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Arthur Christmas

Post by Dacey » November 28th, 2011, 11:13 pm

My local theater, despite having 16 screens, was actually not showing "The Muppets" today, with the excuse being that they needed to upgrade some of their projectors to digital ones.

But it was just as well, as it gave me a chance to see "Arthur Christmas" and "Hugo." "Arthur" was wonderful. It's funny, full of warmth, and it has terrific animation, too. It may not be "traditional Aardman"--at least when it comes to pun-related humor--, but make no mistake, this is a high quality release that deserves to become a holiday classic. Also, Bill Nighy does some really great voice work as the grouchy grandpa Santa.

But guess what? "Hugo" was even better! I don't want to say too much about it for fear of spoiling, so I'll just say that you should find a 3-D theater and prepare to be enchanted for two hours. And yes, this is one that you should really see in 3-D if you can.

So...yeah, this was probably off-topic. But as far as I know, we have no threads for Arthur or Hugo, so this seemed like the only place to post it. ;)
Last edited by Dacey on December 1st, 2011, 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 28th, 2011, 11:41 pm

Arthur doesn't appeal to me, but I'm dying to see Hugo!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 30th, 2011, 4:42 am

Cars 2 is commercial crap, pure and simple. It doesn't deserve a nomination and is only being considered because of the Pixar name.

Puss is also commercial, of course (as are, at the end of the day, all animated films) and that could go against it, but from what I hear it's just a good, fun movie. Arthur could get a nod of support for the re-emerged Aardman, but I fear Winnie didn't make a big enough impact, though I wouldn't be surprised to see it nominated.

The frontrunners are definitely Rango and Tintin, either of which would be good winners. But I just hope Cars 2 doesn't get a nom: Pixar need to know that they can't just drive any old pile of junk into theaters and not get pulled over for it.

AV Team
AV Team

Re: Cars 2

Post by Dacey » November 30th, 2011, 11:35 am

"Arthur" is actually one of the best movies I've seen this year, live-action or animated. The trailers don't really do the movie justice, because while they do give you a clear idea of the plot of the film, they make it look far less interesting than it actually is. It may not have Aardman's trademark style of animation, but it does have their heart, and really is a great Christmas movie.

So, yeah, I'd love to at least see it get a nomination...especially over Pooh, which I ultimately found underwhelming overall.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 30th, 2011, 7:02 pm

You mean "Arthur Christmas" right!? I'm trying to forget that Russell Brand thing even existed! ;)

Seriously, it's good to see old Aardman back in the game: I think they were unfairly treated by DWs and hope they find much success with their new Sony Animation partners.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 30th, 2011, 7:25 pm

I've always been confused by the title. Is "Arthur Christmas" a play on "Father Christmas," or what? Regardless, it's an awful title.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Arthur Christmas

Post by LotsoA113 » November 30th, 2011, 8:35 pm

Theres been a lot of talk about this one (positive talk I might add) I'm about to go see it so I'll be back later with my opinion!! Really hoping its good!
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » November 30th, 2011, 9:29 pm

When I'd originally heard that Aardman and Sony were making a film titled Arthur Christmas, my very first thought was that it would be a movie starring this guy:

.. but yeah; the title does seem to be a pun on 'Father Christmas' ..

..which means that now, I can only hear the title in tune with the Kinks song. :roll:

Good to hear that the movie is enjoyable, though .. I'll try to catch it, sometime this season..! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 30th, 2011, 10:36 pm

Maybe the pun works better in an English accent...

Fahtha Christmas.
Ahtha Christmas.

Yeah, a little better.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » December 1st, 2011, 1:40 am

I just assumed the title was based on the alternate name to Santa being Father Christmas thus any kid of Santa would have the last name Christmas. In England is Santa more well known as Father Christmas?? Cause's I'd assumed if this movie was made in America it would have been caused Arthur Claus.

And in regards to the pun as best as I can tell by sitting here saying it out loud, the Father/Arthur sound does work with the Australian accent.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » December 1st, 2011, 8:47 am

I think it should've been just called Arthur Clause. But that would've been too similar to the mediocore Fred Clause I guess?
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 1st, 2011, 9:50 am

Yep, Santa is more known as Father Christmas here in the UK, though it's about 50/50 debatable nowadays since everyone seems to say Santa more.

But Aardman are very British, and so the Arthur Christmas title does work better with an English accent so that the Far and Ar emphasis is more pronounced.

Even so, it's not immediately apparent, and I agree it's not a perfect title, even if the intent just about comes across (but, yeah, it's much better than "Fred Claus").

Hang on...how'd we get on to Arthur Christmas in a Cars 2 thread! :?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 1st, 2011, 10:00 am

Trouble is...the lot of talk has been over in the Cars 2 thread! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Arthur Christmas

Post by LotsoA113 » December 1st, 2011, 2:29 pm

I've seen many instances where, if in a topic the conversation goes off topic, they move it to another thread. I just did this to make sure those comments have a place.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 1st, 2011, 4:17 pm

Thanks, it did help some!