RIP, Noboru Ishiguro; director of Macross, Yamato, Astro Boy

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

RIP, Noboru Ishiguro; director of Macross, Yamato, Astro Boy

Post by GeorgeC » March 21st, 2012, 3:28 pm

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... asses-away

Japanese animation director/pioneer and Studio Nue co-founder Noboru Ishiguro passed away this week. He was 73.

Ishiguro directed many episodes of classic anime series such as the original Space Battleship Yamato (aka Star Blazers), Legend of Galactica Heroes, the first color version of Astro Boy, Megazone 23, and the notable Tatsunoko Super Dimension series -- SDF Macross, Super Dimension Century Orguss. In addition, Ishiguro co-directed the original Macross feature fil, Do You Remember Love, with Shoji Kawamori.

In recent years, Ishiguro had attended conventions across the US and had been scheduled to attend the Animazament Convention in North Carolina this upcoming May.

Ishiguro is survived by his wife, Yumi.

80% of those shows listed above are shows I've seen or own. They are all classics!
(Well, maybe Orguss not so much...)

Macross is a particularly big deal to me and perhaps my favorite animated science fiction series.

Ishiguro's death comes on the heels of the announcement that the SDF Macross movie is finally getting its high-definition home video release along with the Flashback 2012 epilogue.

It had been reported weeks ago that the original Macross TV series was also getting a Blu ray box set release for this year, the 30th anniversary of the original series debut.

Although the Blu ray discs are compatible with American players and PS3's, none of them are slated to have English subtitles on them due to the continuing Macross legal wrangles which again have nothing to do with Harmony Gold and its Robotech releases --- it's all a Japanese affair.