Shark Tale

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

Re: Shark Tale -- so-so

Post by GeorgeC » March 21st, 2005, 6:48 pm

[quote="AniMan"]I was a bit disappointed with this movie. It seemed like it was going out of its way to be slick and hip. That only succeeded in making it mediocre at best. I haven't checked out any of the extras yet (that's how much the movie held my interest!)[/quote]

Bingo!

Give the man a cigar for being the millionth person to say what's wrong with most animated films today (film in general, really) and why DreamWorks animated films in particular aren't really that special... :wink:

Once you realize what the signs of a bad film are, you can avoid wasting your money on it! :lol: :twisted:

Seriously, I've found DreamWorks films "so memorable" that about the only thing I remember after seeing them months back is that they left a bad taste in my mouth.

I'm just hoping that the "Madagascar" trailer isn't a fine con job to convince me that DreamWorks finally made a CGI film with a decent plot and characterizations that DON'T try to be hip. :?:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 22nd, 2005, 12:17 pm

I guess I'm one of the only people here who loved this movie.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Team
AV Team

"Shark Tale" originally 2D?

Post by Dacey » April 16th, 2005, 11:40 am

Okay, so I was watching one of the behind-the-scenes extras on the "Shark Tale" DVD, and one of them had some footage of Oscar and Lenny animated in rough 2D animation. It looked almost as if "Shark Tale" were originally a 2D animated feature, but after "Sinbad" crashed, they decided to change it. Of course, I'm probably wrong about this, because I seem to remember this film being announced as digital years before it came out.

But does anyone know why that 2D animation was produced?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 16th, 2005, 2:14 pm

I went thoroughly through the DVD for my review, but didn't come across that footage - where is it one the disc?

Interesting that you mention this theory - as far as I recall, Shark Tale was always a digital picture, but going through the supplements it did seem that an extraordinary amount of work looked headed in a more traditional direction.

I'll do some digging and see if there's anything in that notion...

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 17th, 2005, 1:12 pm

I think it's at the start of that feature about the voice actors. In the center of the screen, I think...

I'll have to double check my DVD.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 17th, 2005, 1:25 pm

Well, I asked a contact of mine at DreamWorks and they said that they knew nothing of Shark Tale being a 2D film.

Maybe these scenes were done as a giude for the animators, but the film was apparently always intended as a digital feature.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 17th, 2005, 3:13 pm

Thanks for your research. I figured that that was the case.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Guardstone » April 17th, 2005, 7:00 pm

Hey Ben, that contact doesn't happen to be Olivier, does it? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 23rd, 2005, 11:23 am

I finally got to see most of it on HBO. I think it's adorable, maybe not an A plus film but LOTS of FUN. (Having Sykes' voice get squeaky every time he blows up is ingenious, going one better than the Pixar "awwww how cute" angle) The story's been done before but it's got heart and I think Will Smith did a great job, ditto Martin S, Angelina, and Jack Black. (The only one who was kind of lacking was DeNiro. He just didn't find the right comedy angle the way he did in Meet the Parents. He seemed kind of stiff.) I thought the references were maybe a little obvious but not compromising to the essential story.

The Shimp was sooooooo cute. The Rastafarian Jellyfish ruled. And I actually really, really liked the visuals. (Does anyone notice, BTW, that DW films have a lot more diversity in their casting than Pixar and Disney movies?)

( Yeah I know this post is LONNNNNNGGGGGG overdue. :roll: )
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

Lino

Post by Lino » January 13th, 2006, 1:25 pm

Oddly enough I have head about a Shark Tale In 2-D back when it was SharkSlayer. It was very early in 2002 and the site most likely wasnt the most reputable. Even if it was true the idea probably didnt last long.

Lino

Post by Lino » January 13th, 2006, 5:03 pm

There have been alot of ST2 rumors going around. The sequal is classified @ countingdown.com, themovieinsider.com, themovieweb.com among others. Scripts have been said to have been ordered via moviefans.de and a domain has been purchased via an imdb source (im not obsessive I just have a good search enjine...ok Im a little obsessive). Its only a rumor so far but who knows, I mean madagascar2 shrek4 and shrek broadway?! Somthings gotta give.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 13th, 2006, 10:18 pm

I seem to remember reading something a while back that said a sequel was in production before the original was even released. So who knows?

If there is a sequel, I'd like Renne to return. She was very, very, very, very, very good.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 13th, 2006, 10:22 pm

Lino, I've confirmed that you like "Shark Tale". ;)

Lino

Post by Lino » January 13th, 2006, 11:15 pm

How'd u know :lol: ? I luv most all animated movies, as im sure most here do.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 15th, 2006, 12:49 am

Actually:

I found this on Animation Nation:
sancho
Member # 1999

posted October 02, 2004 05:22 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey man,...I have issues with some of the designs. After three years though, you kind of get used to it and forget you have issues with them. I will say this,...any of the designs that look nutty in stills, work FAR better once you see em' moving. Seriously though, you should have seen the 2-D development!
Oh, what might have been. I would have killed to see this film done in 2-D. The designs were SO pretty and fun to draw. I think I was the last one to cling to the 2-D designs in my boards before I finally gave up and started to tweak my drawings to reflect the 3-D models.
EDIT! :oops: :oops: Well....I think what he meant was that all CGI films start out as 2d but are inevitably converted to 3d.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!