Turbo

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Turbo

Post by ShyViolet » May 31st, 2013, 7:45 pm

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Re: Turbo

Post by Dacey » June 1st, 2013, 4:44 pm

Turbotastic!

Sorry. I had to. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 10th, 2013, 2:25 pm

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 10th, 2013, 7:31 pm

Tracking slow but will hopefully do better:

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/dream ... 200560470/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » July 10th, 2013, 10:38 pm

After being forced to see the same 3 trailers before Epic, Monsters University and Despicable Me 2. I would have to admit that Turbo is on the bottom of my list to see. The trailer just didn't grab my attention and make me want to watch this in the cinema. As opposed to the Planes trailer which impressed me enough that I've gone from never wanting to watch it to at least checking it out on DVD and I hate to admit it but I would rather choose to watch Smurfs 2 than Turbo at the cinema.

Perhaps its the fact that the trailer gives too much away about the overall plot. I think it would have been best to not mention the whole Nascar racing angle of the story. Just kept it at the snail races. Whereas the clips from Planes and Smurfs are so non-linear that while the plot is told to us, I get the feeling that the shots are a lot out of sequence which at least makes me wonder what is actually happening in those scenes. Plus Turbo only made me laugh once in the whole trailer.

I'm not hoping Turbo fails, but I just don't see it standing out enough to be a true blockbuster.

On a slight tangent what is it with snails being the new funny guys. Epic has a snail/slug duo as comedy sidekicks, their is that slug monster in Monsters University that provides an easy laugh and now Turbo. When did gastropods become cool and funny?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » July 11th, 2013, 12:38 pm

Turbo looks pretty horrible to be honest, but Dreamworks has consistently surprised me since How To Train Your Dragon. Even Shrek 4, Megamind and Puss in Boots ended up being pretty good.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 12th, 2013, 6:06 am

The Hollywood Reporter review wasn't so good...said it was basically a little boy's movie. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but it did make a point of saying it was almost *just* for little boys and there was little else in it to engage any other kind of audience member.

The overall story sounded pretty dumb, too, which it is when you stop to take a think about it (which I haven't so far, I can't say the concept has me gagging to see the movie)...but THR review makes some good points, like how Turbo would be smashed flat on a race track for starters.

Sounds to me like a Ratatouille reaction: "Right, so there's a movie about a *rat* in a high-class Parisian restaurant that makes great food. What other incredulous concept could we come up with that places a small and totally inappropriate animal in a suitably extreme situation?" - "Uh, how about a snail in a motor race?" - "Yeah, great, call it Turbo, make it happen!".

Sheesh! :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 13th, 2013, 7:08 pm

DW has a lot riding on Turbo; their relationship with Netflix is basically contingent on it. I really hope it does well but i have to confess that I'm not particularly excited about it. I think it looks cute enough but the earmarks of a "DW film" are all there. :( But I'll reserve judgement until I see it.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2 ... turbo.aspx

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 13th, 2013, 7:25 pm

I actually think Turbo looks fun (the concept is simple, clever and easy to execute), but the release date is insane! Sandwiching your movie between the Minions and the Smurfs? Idiotic.

What they SHOULD have done was give it the November 1st release date once they pushed Peabody & Sherman back. It would've easily been able to hold its own against the underwhelming-looking Turkeys...I mean, Free Birds. :roll:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 14th, 2013, 4:48 am

True. And true.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 14th, 2013, 9:30 am

Early reviews "mildly enthusiastic".

http://allthingsd.com/20130713/netflixs ... -theaters/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 16th, 2013, 4:08 pm

Saw another short trailer that introduces the different characters...it basically feels like Monsters vs. Aliens but in snail form. I really, really hope this turns out better than it looks.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 18th, 2013, 6:50 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 22nd, 2013, 4:17 pm

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 22nd, 2013, 9:13 pm

No surprise. No one was too excited about this film.

And look--- only 25% of grosses from 3D showings.