Inside Out

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Inside Out

Post by Ben » August 7th, 2015, 5:46 pm

Really? Wow...pretty obvious where he was headed, right when he said "imaginary friend"... :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » August 7th, 2015, 10:10 pm

I willingly saw the film a second time, so that I could get my brother and his family to see it. Still hits me every time, but I liked glancing over to see the others reacting. "That moment" broke them up, but we still found funny moments afterwards to play off of during lunch (my sister-in-law notes how one scene explains her pet). Being Twin Peaks fans, they got a kick out of finding out Kyle MacLachlan voiced Riley's dad.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jpcase » August 8th, 2015, 3:08 pm

The scene that Dacey brought up is a very emotional one, and Bing Bong's character did admittedly surprise me in a couple of ways. But all the same, I agree with Ben that there was a certain air of predictability about that moment. What really surprised me about Bing Bong were the things that didn't happen with his character.

While we're on the subject, did anyone else find there to be a striking similarity between Bing Bong and Koosalagoopagoop, Deedee's imaginary friend in Dexter's Laboratory?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 8th, 2015, 3:18 pm

Jpcase wrote:What really surprised me about Bing Bong were the things that didn't happen with his character.
(The Lotso/Stinky Pete route, I'm guessing? Yeah, I was sort of expecting some "can't let go" twist, although more naive than villainous...
I think a certain prince at Arendelle has stunk up/buried that particular trope at Pixar for good, or at leaast for a long, carefully advised rest.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 8th, 2015, 6:58 pm

Dacey wrote:
I will say, though, that it's a bit shameful how variously websites have carelessly been reporting that moment in endless internet headlines

OMG Dacey the same thing happened to me! :) And the movie had barely even opened! It was on Instagram and someone wrote:
"Why did Bingbong have to die?" I didn't even know who Bingbong was then but ahhhhhhh....spoiler warning please!! :roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » August 10th, 2015, 10:16 am

Awards for voice acting: This has come up several times over the last couple of decades and it'd be nice to get some resolution to it: Andy Serkis for Gollum in the early 2000s, Robin Williams for Genie in the 1990s. If I remember right I think the Golden Globes actually had a debate over Williams' performance and in the end decided to give him a special award instead of letting voices be eligible for the acting awards.
Ben wrote: if you did ask me which one was an all-out "comedy", I'd probably give it to A Bug's Life.
My favorite Pixar film for comedy in easily Monster Inc. It's got to be one of the most rewatchable of their movies too.
EricJ wrote:
Second, I wasn't a big fan of Lava as I wasn't sure what the point was other than it being something sweet but unsubstantial (I thought, "so what?"), though the song is an earworm that is still burrowing around my head! But despite its shortcomings (I didn't think the timespan was very well defined), I can't see how it was sexist!?
Like the Blue Umbrella didn't feel it was anything...in particular except for some technical experiments, Lava also felt like they were working out some studio experiments--More realistic landscapes/ocean, while WDFA was working on Moana?
It's nice and all, but felt more like it'll get a mention at Disney's Aulani resort, if at all.
I wasn't a fan of Lava either, mostly because I hated the song. The lyrics felt very forced and the music was a bit too repetitive. Story wise, it also felt forced and lightweight. For a brief moment I actually thought they might go a dark route with it which would've been more interesting (when the girl volcano appeared and he was behind her but his moth was underwater, I thought they might end it with her thinking she was alone... and then see behind him that there was someone behind him all along that was even more underwater than he now was).

That said, I don't agree with the line of thinking some believe that the shorts have to be meaningful, have more weight, or advance some technology.Art for art's sake is great, as long as it's good!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 10th, 2015, 1:52 pm

For The Birds wasn't necessarily meaningful, have weight or advance any particular technology, but it was a phenomenally funny and good short.

Lava simply wasn't...it was just kind of 'there' without any real point.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 13th, 2015, 2:26 pm

Exclusive sneak peek into new short "Riley's first date"! :)

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/exc ... d=33049292
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 16th, 2015, 7:13 pm

Some interesting things Riley's first date short reveals about Pixar! :)

http://www.wired.com/2015/10/4-things-r ... out-pixar/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 18th, 2015, 12:31 pm

And because nobody went looking for the traditional Next-Movie Easter Egg:

http://www.mtv.com/news/2353356/the-goo ... aster-egg/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vernadyn » November 8th, 2015, 4:46 am

Maybe this has been mentioned before, but is anyone else a little miffed that Disney is starting to make some of the special features exclusive to Disney Movie Anywhere? Inside Out in particular has some deleted scenes and a featurette that are DMA-only. I suppose digital is the way of the future, but as long as we still have physical discs, it would be nice if they contained all the content.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 8th, 2015, 11:03 am

Absolutely not pleased to hear this, as DMA is, I think, only available in the US. Disney's previous BD-Live option, as on the Fantasia, Pocahontas, and other Blu-rays, was also not acceptable. It's not like a BD disc doesn't have the space, or that we could not get a second disc if need be, for what Disney charges.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 8th, 2015, 3:01 pm

The whole Fantasia/Pocahontas/Lion King "Virtual Vault" happened during the disk-packing days when there just wasn't room enough for one more bonus disk (with the Digital Copy still on a cheap hard-disk, and the insistence on packing the 2D Blu with the 3D, and the DVD with the 2D). And then, when they tried to go the other direction, we all threw big fanboy tantrums about why Oz 3D only came out as one disk, or Cars 2 3D only had the bonus disk on the 2D edition.

And while they're leaning toward digital ("Now that's virtual!"), and Pixar's usually good at remembering the bonus disks, Disney just can't quite get away from those old days of figuring out how much not to put on plastic. They're not exactly the get-back-up-on-the-horse type.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 8th, 2015, 3:35 pm

And then, when they tried to go the other direction, we all threw big fanboy tantrums about why Oz 3D only came out as one disk, or Cars 2 3D only had the bonus disk on the 2D edition.
Unless I'm misunderstanding this, the 2D edition of Cars 2 has no bonus disc. Only the 3D version came with one (which is why I still have yet to buy Cars 2).
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 8th, 2015, 3:41 pm

Huh?

There's more than enough space on the discs themselves or to include another disc within the packs for Fantasia, Pocahontas and Lion King!

Oz had two issues: the SE flat version (two discs) and the single disc 3D, which was an experiment to see if 3D was selling (answer: no, hence Disney backing off the format in the US at least).

My Cars 2 3D set has a bonus disc. It's a 5-disc set (3D, BD feature, BD extras, DVD, Digifile).

Pixar and Marvel handle their disc issues in-house, hence why they're more geeky and collector driven.

DMA exclusives has been a "thing" for a little while now, and although as a completist I would like everything in one place (on disc!) the little bonuses they have nabbed so far have not been deal breakers. And, besides, after one or two watches, who really goes back and gets obsessive about storyboarded deleted scenes (that will turn up around t'web anyhoo)?

It is a pain that Disney Movies ANYWHERE is not ANYwhere though. All those US discs I own and my DMA account is useless. I can browse but apart from previews and the odd little promo, the movies themselves will not play in my location...grrrrrrrrr...!