New Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

New Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie

Post by ShyViolet » March 31st, 2014, 12:15 pm

What did everyone think? I was turned off as soon as I saw how they designed them, soooo ugly and way too much like a "real" turtle. Though it may be a bit dated, I'm still a fan of the 1990 one and always will be. :) (No offense to those who liked it.)

1990 movie
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: New Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie

Post by eddievalient » March 31st, 2014, 1:34 pm

I've always been a huge fan of the TMNT franchise as a whole and I can honestly say I don't care about the new look. It doesn't bother me at all and if people are going to use that as their sole reason for not seeing this then that is, quite frankly, stupid. For fans of the franchise, whether or not the movie is any good should come down to whether or not they get the characters' personalities right. There have been many different interpretations over the years with many different stories, but the one thing they all have in common is that the characters are interesting and fun to watch. As long as the filmmakers got that right, who cares what they look like? Seriously, it's a nitpick at best.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 31st, 2014, 1:35 pm

So, between the evil-lab created heroes, and the big antenna towers that crash down from skyscrapers, maybe they should just let the Amazing Spiderman handle it? :?

(And the new trailer really needs that disco-sampled Blue Danube we hear in the old trailer at 1:00)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 31st, 2014, 3:21 pm

My only genuine concern about this is that it's from the director of Battle L.A., which has to be the single worst action movie I saw from a major studio in I don't know how long. Here's hoping he does a better job with this one, instead of staging the fight scenes in a way where we barely ever see the turtles at all.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by TitusTodd » September 2nd, 2014, 5:33 am

I went to see this at the theater with my oldest son who was a big fan when he was a kid. It was okay but the story was dull and the turtles looked like they were on steroids. I guess the overall feeling after watching it can be described as - meh.

The origin story being retold, even with the new spins on it, came across as nothing new. The Turtles' humor didn't come off as natural nor did their personalities. The voice acting was a miss but I guess we're too used to the past iterations. Oh, and what is a turtle film without Casey Jones?

My guess after watching the movie was that the first weekend it would do well at the box office as fans would go see it to find out what was done to their beloved characters. After that I figured word of mouth would spread that it really wasn't that exciting of a movie and that movie attendance numbers would drop back below Guardians of the Galaxy. So far that seems to be what happened.

When I saw what they were doing - live action with CG turtles, I was apprehensive. The results are not bad but I still think live action is too limiting on future stories but we'll see as they've already announced the next one is coming in 2016 and have announced Casey Jones, Bebop and Rocksteady will appear in it or a third movie as well as Krang and Dimension X. I'm not currently planning to see any sequels in the theater.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Bay rebooting the ninja turtles movies-again.

Post by gaastra » June 20th, 2018, 8:58 pm

Next turtles is a new reboot again produced by bay.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/teenage_ ... be-a161532

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 21st, 2018, 3:26 pm

Another reboot?? No way! :shock: How many times can they reboot the same property?

I actually completely forgot about this scene in the 1990 film until I saw it again a few months ago. Just so powerful... :cry:

https://youtu.be/pNkiDVRIdZI

(Heart-to-heart talk between Splinter and Raphael.)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 21st, 2018, 3:44 pm

I'll take this as a chance to say that Out of the Shadows was a lot more fun than it's often given credit for. It felt so much like the original cartoon.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 21st, 2018, 5:28 pm

Dacey wrote:I'll take this as a chance to say that Out of the Shadows was a lot more fun than it's often given credit for. It felt so much like the original cartoon.
Or, at least, that it tried hard to be Like the Original Cartoon (harder than the first movie, at least), but, Bay being his easily subplot-distracted self...

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 21st, 2018, 5:42 pm

Bay was barely involved in the movie from a creative standpoint, though. Contrary to him being an easy target online, he only served as a producer and apparently didn't do much beyond saying "I like this, do more of that" and the usual producer stuff.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 14th, 2018, 1:15 pm

This. Is. Completely. Bonkers. :shock:

https://youtu.be/thHCIxnzktk

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 15th, 2018, 2:21 am

Ah, those heady days of 1990. Eastman and Laird had no idea where their creations might go!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 22nd, 2018, 2:12 pm

Randall wrote:Ah, those heady days of 1990.
Yeah totally. 1990 basically still existed in the 80s (I guess kinda like 1960 was still pretty much the 50s.). It was more or less the crux of every weird pop culture phenomenon from that decade. Weird and simply inexplicable! (I mean “Love Shack” was playing on the radio every five minutes.* ‘Nuff said.)

*I still love that song! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 23rd, 2018, 7:11 pm

ShyViolet wrote:
Randall wrote:Ah, those heady days of 1990.
Yeah totally. 1990 basically still existed in the 80s (I guess kinda like 1960 was still pretty much the 50s.). It was more or less the crux of every weird pop culture phenomenon from that decade.
The 90's didn't start until the Clinton Administration in '92, just like the 80's didn't officially start until "Raiders of the Lost Ark" in 1981.
(So, 1980, with the Blues Brothers, the Empire Strikes Back, and Reagan's election freeing the hostages, was just the last extension of the 70's.)

In movie terms, the 90's didn't start until Terminator 2, so Total Recall is considered "the last 80's film". But the Turtles and Pretty Woman got there first.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » January 24th, 2022, 10:28 am