DMC Exclusive Disney Blus

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: DMC Exclusive Disney Blus

Post by Ben » February 21st, 2024, 3:47 am

B-b-but, this *isn't* a licensing deal. Like the Anchor Bay one was and the Mill Creek one was/is. Where Disney provided a package of pre-picked films.

Here, Sony is undertaking Disney's entire physical media business. They'll be choosing titles, working out how to maximise the library, and going hell for leather on getting back revenues to Disney to show this is a worthwhile concept for both sides.

If Sony think they can launch a "Disney Classics" line of live-action titles and make them attractive by way of good editions with Wonderful World Of Disney episodes as extras, in matching "collection" packaging that makes us buy them all (again) then they will. This is Disney's Warner Archive…as long as the unit as a whole is making profit they’re not going to question the thinking.

Added to this is a better commitment to new titles and prestige releases of the crown jewel titles. Expect all the animated classics again, maybe even more in 4K. Grover Crisp over at Sony is a switched-on guy, on the George Feltenstein level. Jerry Beck has been involved on past Columbia animation releases and, by extension, Leonard Maltin could be consulted. I’ll bet those two are already having conversations.

Yep…this is very good news. We might not get The Shaggy DA exactly, at least not immediately, but I’ll bet those Disney "exclusives" are among the first to get wider reissues. Everyone knows the Disney library has been woefully under-tapped lately, and someone like Crisp, whose ear Jerry and Lenny have, will be rolling around in the sandbox not knowing what to pick first.

As for Mill Creek…well, maybe this is the reason that has been silent. There's obviously a connection between Sony and Mill Creek, since from the start Sony has been "sponsoring" them with catalog product for low-cost vanilla discs. And they’re not afraid to take a Mill Creek title selling well and put out a better, Sony-branded edition, sometimes in 4K or at least with extras.

So maybe the Mill Creek announcement with Disney was the start of this negotiation. Maybe the reason the Mill Creek titles haven’t appeared yet is because this new "arrangement", which is a better word to use than "deal", supersedes that idea.

Whatever else, it isn’t just licensing, and I think classic Disney and classic 20th fans, especially under Crisp, have a LOT to look forward to.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 21st, 2024, 8:44 am

This all remains to be seen. There's a lot of wishful thinking in there, but I hope you're right. We'll see if Sony really has full access to the vault, but I'm skeptical.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 21st, 2024, 11:42 am

No ifs or buts. It’s simply not a licensing deal…they’re taking over Disney's whole physical business because Disney isn’t interested or has become too bureaucratic to bother. So it’s not a package of films that Sony will release, it's Disney's full physical output. Of course it’ll be up to Sony what they release, largely, but they also know there's a rabid demand for the right kinds of untapped titles. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 21st, 2024, 2:27 pm

The next big question is... What about the rest of he world? The deal is only for the US and Canada. More deals yet to be announced?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 21st, 2024, 7:36 pm

Not a stretch to see that it’s a Titanic-type scenario, where Paramount and Disney shared the same disc between their two regions. Sony will author and package in the US, local houses will just take the basic disc, like Warners does, and repackage them for local markets. Many Disney discs are distributed through smaller local companies already (often Warners affiliates in Europe), most of which feed off the US masters with tweaks. Since the heavy burden of that work will be undertaken for them already, they still won’t have much to do.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » February 23rd, 2024, 12:19 am

Bunch of stuff has already gone out of stock on DMC, which ruined some plans of mine. Focus will now be on upgrading titles to 4K.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 23rd, 2024, 3:33 pm

Some of the exclusives are now going for more on eBay, naturally. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 23rd, 2024, 3:53 pm

Natch. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 2nd, 2024, 2:58 pm

Update from Digital Billy:
The Digital Bits wrote:I’ve continued to check in with our many industry sources over the last week or two. And I have learned a couple of things that should help to clarify the picture a bit for consumers.

The bad news is that the Disney/Sony deal does not mean a return of Disney product to Australia or other regions where the studio has recently pulled out. Our sources are telling us that this distribution deal applies to the US and Canada only. The studio operation in each individual market is making their own decisions about whether to release physical product there or not, and this deal doesn’t change that.

The good news, on the other hand, is that I’m told Disney remains committed to physical media distribution. And while Disney will continue to make the decisions about which titles get released on Blu-ray and 4K Ultra HD, those decisions will now be made in partnership with Sony, with the goal of maximizing availability based on consumer and retail interest.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 2nd, 2024, 4:52 pm

No surprise there. The deal was only about the US and Canada from the very first reporting. And Disney is still calling the shots. So, we'll just have to wait and see what kind of influence Sony will really have on what comes out.