Cinderella - Disney Live-Action Feature

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Cinderella - Disney Live-Action Feature

Post by EricJ » November 19th, 2014, 6:14 pm

Although, given the proto-feminist CGI "roll" Disney thought they were on with Maleficent/Alice, think it's safe to say that--given the list of "Top Ten Things Female Audiences Always Get Fundamentally WRONG About Disney's Snow White and Cinderella"--Cindy is not one of the stories you should give to a female demographic and expect a sensitively faithful version.
I'm glad Helena Bonham Carter finally fixed her hairdo and got out of the madhouse, but her snippy Dolores Umbridge Fairy Godmother suggests that someone's trying to "fix" their image of Disney's story.

(It's always the male source-nitpickers who will point out that the Stepsisters weren't actually "ugly" in the original story...The female audiences, OTOH, seem to like it a little too much that way.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 19th, 2014, 6:54 pm

Sorry...what...!?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » November 19th, 2014, 7:18 pm

C'mon EricJ (someone whose posts I usually like I might add), I come to this forum to avoid all the sexist radical feminism bashing that plague other websites comment sections.
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 19th, 2014, 10:17 pm

Ben wrote:Sorry...what...!?
Although we're not proud of it, guys have the ability to watch Cinderella without the thought of "That'll show 'em!" springing into their minds. (Or personalizing the implied persecution-complexes, and thoughts of "Why didn't she just take a machine gun to the two of 'em, after she became princess? :twisted: ")

We're more immediately conscious of the moral lesson as was in the original text, namely that the stepsisters may have looked fashionable, but were total bee-yatches...Yeah, that's something WE'RE a little more familiar with, and can appreciate the "Beauty is within, and will eventually out" message quite a bit more intimately.

But, let's face it, we're not what's on Disney's mind right now with the post-Alice CGI fairytales and Maleficent gravy-train. :roll:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 19th, 2014, 10:32 pm

Might be wonderful, might be ho-hum.

Actually, it looks like they're doing a nice job of it, but it just feels a little pointless to me.

I did love Ever After, though.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 20th, 2014, 9:20 am

EricJ wrote:(Or personalizing the implied persecution-complexes, and thoughts of "Why didn't she just take a machine gun to the two of 'em, after she became princess? :twisted: ")
Sorry to be pedantic...but maybe because machine guns had not yet been invented...? ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 22nd, 2014, 4:27 pm

Having seen the trailer before Mockingjay yesterday, I can't quite put my finger on why, but this all looks very...generic to me. Which may be more than fine, but it doesn't look like they're doing anything to "spice the story up," if you follow what I'm saying.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 22nd, 2014, 6:06 pm

No, it doesn't look like a Maleficent reimagining, and more like a straight alternate take. Maybe we'll be let into some more secrets as the release approaches though? Disney certainly doesn't seem to need to worry: the trailer has instantly gotten the most views in their history, or something like that, in just over a week!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 23rd, 2014, 12:03 am

I agree, Dacey. What we've seen so far doesn't really bring anything new or fresh. That's not to say it can't be great, but I'd expected something more... magical.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » January 8th, 2015, 7:53 pm

It was described that aside from her rags Cinderella was "a thousand times handsomer" than her stepsisters in the original glass slipper version of the fairy tale, so the stepsisters being ugly is a logical thing for some versions to do, which includes the Disney animated 1950 version. I like how in this version, one pretty actress and one not so ugly actress are just made to look ugly, while they act very ugly.

Every new film version with all the new actors, designs, music, technology, and direction adds something new to this time-worn tale. I think this is a fantastically magical, epic, and beautiful looking version of Cinderella.

Oh, where have I been all this time? Well, I don't have time these days to involve myself in all my favorite magic-related or Disney-related things, but I just had to speak out here. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 8th, 2015, 11:31 pm

...Dusty?!!

A voice from the past re-emerges.
Last edited by Randall on January 8th, 2015, 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 9th, 2015, 5:42 am

;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » January 11th, 2015, 12:54 am

Yep, it's me Dusty. Cinderella is my favorite story and I just gush about it and I think this site is a great place so I like to talk about it and other magic or Disney things here. I doubt much other magic, Disney, or animated things will have me talking more here, but it's nice to see you guys when I do come by. :)

Hey Ben what was the "rock and a hard place" that you think Walt Disney had in the Bambi Diamond Edition review? Even though magic stories are usually my favorites, Bambi has become one of my top favorites now. I totally agree with you there needs to be something more, maybe a pause, between Bambi's leaving with his father and the gay little spring song. I would choose showing the season change from winter to spring, kind of like I think they showed the seasons change in earlier scenes? I still don't get why you don't like "I Bring You a Song" though. That's like my favorite Disney love song and has such beautiful imagery. It's so wistful at the same time of being romantic. My guess is you don't like love songs or need some flashier imagery or something. And wait, Bambi's main theme is "Love is a Song", not "Little April Shower", right? By the way the Disney animated Cinderella restoration you approved of should not have been approved of. I will soon be making a thread about it. Till then, ta ta for now!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 11th, 2015, 5:40 am

Simply a longer fade, with a couple of seconds of blackness, would suffice for the Bambi switch from tragedy to happiness.

I love 'love songs' and don't need flashy imagery...Love Is A Song may be Bambi's main theme (which I like in the score), but Little April Showers has far surpassed it as being "that song from Bambi", no?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » January 12th, 2015, 7:49 pm

"Love is a Song" plays over the main title and in the end. I believe that if there exists something at Disney that officially says what the main theme is, it must be "Love is a Song".