Boxtrolls

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
Buzz Bumble

Boxtrolls

Post by Buzz Bumble » June 11th, 2014, 5:23 pm

ComingSoon.net has a trailer for Boxtrolls.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Boxtrolls

Post by Ben » June 12th, 2014, 8:31 am

At first I wanted to flippantly dub this "Trolls, Inc.", but as it went on (and then I got a Harry Potter vibe) it really started to charm me and I love the stop-motion quality here. Looks like it could be a winner, grabbing that Hotel Transylvania vibe along with those two aforementioned franchises, so it has a lot of potential. Here's hoping audiences find it instead of going the easy/boring route to the Penguins feature... I wish Laika all the best with this! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » June 19th, 2014, 11:38 am

I don't care what the actual film is about, I was hooked after they posted that lovely "this is how we made it" teaser last year. I just love stop-motion as a medium, and seeing that made me really happy. :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » June 19th, 2014, 1:07 pm

While it is undeniably a charming and uplifting teaser trailer .. as a digital sculptor myself, I was a bit disappointed to see that entire portion of Laika's process 'left-out' of their peek behind the scenes. :?

Aardman made use of similar techniques for their recent Pirates! movie, as well.

Please note that I am not down-playing the amazing quality of physical artistry and craftsmanship which abounds at both studios. I'm just saying: digital sculptors are artists, too. :|

----------------------------

Here's a short video from Laika which does offer a few glimpses at the CG underpinnings of their replacement faces:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 19th, 2014, 8:47 pm

Wow, that's pretty neat. Definitely an art unto itself.

Buzz Bumble

Post by Buzz Bumble » August 13th, 2014, 2:33 am

More from ComingSoon.net ...
The Boxtrolls Reveals an Electrifying Motion Poster
Focus Features has just released a new motion poster for the upcoming third feature film from LAIKA, The Boxtrolls. Check it out below, along with a new featurette that introduces you to the subterranean creatures.

Quicktime movie clip

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » September 27th, 2014, 10:04 am

Saw this Thursday night, and sadly to say, it's not as good as LAIKA's past two efforts. It's a charming effort, full of great animation and an excellent performance from Ben Kingsley, but man is the script a mess.
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 27th, 2014, 4:16 pm

You know, for whatever reason, I just don't feel any great desire to see this one, even though I loved Coraline and enjoyed ParaNorman well enough. But it seems that Henry Sellick is really the MVP when it comes to these movies. When he's not involved, it shows.

I may still catch it if I can, as my mom and sister said I really should. But if it's not playing in 3-D anymore by the time I'm at my theater again, I may as well just wait for Netflix.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 28th, 2014, 1:00 am

I'm feeling the exact same. This film has not really grabbed my attention. However, I do love the medium, so I'll likely see it at some point.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 29th, 2014, 8:15 am

It'll be a BD for me, as usual. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » September 30th, 2014, 12:00 pm

AV review is up:
http://animatedviews.com/2014/the-boxtrolls-film/

Could've been a lot better, could've been a lot worse!