Dreamworks making felix the cat movie!

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Dreamworks making felix the cat movie!

Post by gaastra » June 18th, 2014, 9:21 am

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Dreamworks making felix the cat movie!

Post by Ben » June 18th, 2014, 3:13 pm

And the WTF is going on at DWA talk will now continue...

Seriously, as much as I love real, old school Felix, and hope to high heaven that it is indeed better than the 1990 movie, didn't DWA just learn that kids don't know who the heck these old characters are with Peabody!?

Conversely, Felix is *so* old that he could look like a new character again, which could work. With Popeye and Charlie Brown also going for the same crowd, they're playing tightrope if they don't appeal to old fans and new at the same time, which is largely what happened with Peabody.

ON THE OTHER HAND...I just read the links and it DOES NOT say there is a Felix movie in development. After picking up Classic Media's characters recently, this just looks to be another character acquisition. Felix, it is said, will become a merchandising figure, specifically "a fashion brand" at this stage.

Darn...and there I was hoping that this might spur Disney on to make that Oswald movie... ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 18th, 2014, 5:51 pm

As insane as the Felix the Cat movie was, it did at least give us this song...

But I'm not hearing about this DreamWorks production anywhere else online. So not true, me thinks.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » June 18th, 2014, 7:13 pm

What do you mean not true? I posted two links and one was from jerry beck himself!

It's true.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 18th, 2014, 7:34 pm

It's true that DWA has bought up the rights to Felix...it's NOT true that DWA are making a Felix movie.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 19th, 2014, 5:06 am

Ben wrote:I just read the links and it DOES NOT say there is a Felix movie in development. After picking up Classic Media's characters recently, this just looks to be another character acquisition. Felix, it is said, will become a merchandising figure, specifically "a fashion brand" at this stage.
Okay! Well, I think we've pretty unequivocally settled the point now! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » June 19th, 2014, 1:31 pm

When I heard about this yesterday, I'd thought DreamWorks might be looking to star Felix in new cartoon shorts for their recently-launched YouTube channel.

I still think that would be a pretty cool venue for him.

Perhaps a series of newly-created YouTube short-form animated series, featuring DW's Classic Media characters..? IMO, that would make more sense for the likes of Felix, Casper, Lassie, etc than spending ~$100 millions on 'full-tilt' 3D CGI theatrical features .. :mrgreen: