Marvel Cinematic Universe

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe

Post by gaastra » November 9th, 2023, 11:39 am

Yeah, marvels reviews has in one day now turned from great to mixed. Critics are split on it.

In other news ryan says deadpool 3 with strike over will make summer release. Many think it will replace cap 4 and cap will get delayed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/comm ... ill_has_a/

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 9th, 2023, 8:07 pm

Well, Deadpool 3, while apparently being shoehorned into being a MCU project, does have a different brain trust behind it (at least, it did as it was initially developed), so we'll hope for the best.

BTW, the costume maker was intro'd on She-Hulk. :) I agree that they look too cosplay/Halloween costume in the MCU.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » November 10th, 2023, 7:03 pm

Just got back from marvels. We took our niece also. Was expecting a trainwreck but--it was fun. Wasn't as bad as some are saying at all. Family liked it and niece loved it. Had other kids in our showing laughing and cheering also. Keep in mind it was a small group in our showing. The post scene had groups stop in the theatre and talk about it with each other! When's the last time a post scene did that?

Was it toy story 3? No. But it was fun. Also, yes ms marvel steals the film! Bad guy was weak again also.

As for rt looks like the film is another Jurassic world. Audiences liked it more than critics. Score is high 86s audience! Film is getting good word of mouth also as a show I was watching had people responding they liked the film! With that said its still expected to be the second worst opening behind inhumans the movie (so bad it was thrown out of canon!) and incredible hulk.

So, question is will this get legs from word of mouth like elemental and greatest showman both bombed opening weekend than shot up after good word of mouth or will people just wait to buy it on vudu and stay home?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » November 12th, 2023, 11:23 am

And marvels opens to $47m. Again, many movies would love to open to that, but this is an mcu film. This is really low for them! It's down there with incredible hulk and inhumans the movie!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » November 15th, 2023, 11:33 am

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » November 15th, 2023, 3:53 pm

Wonder man still a go. Now a "spotlight".
Director off kang confirmed.
Shang chi 2 update.

https://deadline.com/2023/11/marvel-des ... 235612901/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » December 5th, 2023, 2:29 pm

Wow. Never knew The Marvels would be gone in four weeks. So much for Elemental and Greatest Showman legs.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » December 5th, 2023, 10:34 pm

gaastra wrote:
November 12th, 2023, 11:23 am
And marvels opens to $47m. Again, many movies would love to open to that, but this is an mcu film. This is really low for them! It's down there with incredible hulk and inhumans the movie!
There was an Inhumans MOVIE, or was it just distributed theatrically overseas?

(Unless you meant Eternals, and then, oh, mama...)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 5th, 2023, 11:41 pm

The Inhumans TV show premiered in IMAX theatres. Yeah, not a good idea.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 6th, 2023, 5:35 am

I think it was the first two episodes, or something?

Kind of a weird move, especially as it wasn’t MCU-tied (at the time anyway), I didn’t think. Some Marvel and Disney hubris there, me thinks, and arguably the first real dent in the franchise's current reputation that has continued to be bogged down with the sprawling and spiralling TV shows, but I think it can be traced back to that Imax — again, no need to shout — release, which was received with a collective shrug!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 6th, 2023, 8:55 am

Here we go again.

IMAX's own website uses all-caps. The Wiki entry, and nearly every online mention, gets all-caps. Dictionary.com uses all-caps for IMAX. While not exactly an acronym (standing for Image Maximum), IMAX is the widely accepted form.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » December 6th, 2023, 9:23 am

IMAX.png
IMAX.png (154.84 KiB) Viewed 33310 times

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » December 6th, 2023, 9:59 am

Yeah "movie" is two hour episodes edited into a film. They still do this with shows today. Japan does also like the demon slayer "movie" we got last year.

Bugs bunny movies and heathcliff the movie should be proud.

And yes, inhumans the movie was a dud. Old ike promoted it as a canon mcu movie even giving it the next movie number. And it was thrown out of canon really quick after release! Only mcu movie to be thrown out of canon. What an honor!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 6th, 2023, 1:11 pm

Maximum Image.

It's actually Maximum Image.

Just like Lego, brand people have cottoned on to repeating the name in capitals to make it seem either more important or to give the emphasis on size, but this is redundant, just as it is for some people who insist on spelling Pixar in all capitals.

Actually, if you want to go back to the introductory trade publication I have on Imax's wider reach in the late 1990s, it also used to have a hyphen, for I-Max, which is exactly as it is presented both in logo and as a brand name *in their own original publication*.

Over time, the hyphen got lost, for Imax. And now, like many logos that present themselves in capitals, the written names have apparently followed suit: the companies don’t mind as it gives their names a certain cache so they don’t dispel it and lots of sheeple (Wiki is not anything official and can be edited by anyone) follow that and type them out in redundant capitals.

It's I-Max, or Imax. Plain and simple. And certainly not an acronym, or even close to it, as "image maximum" is also incorrect. Before one starts to "here we go again" lecture, maybe get the very basic facts correct…? ;)

Here, Wired — sorry, WIRED — gets it:
https://www.wired.com/story/what-is-imax-enhanced/

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 6th, 2023, 6:32 pm

And yet, IMAX calls itself IMAX these days. And they do so consistently. Maybe not two decades ago, but they do now. They dropped the hyphen, and went to all-caps. If that isn't official, then what is? Their company, their choice.

I don't see what one's personal feelings or opinions have to do with what is actually reality. :roll:

Hmmmm...That sounds familiar. Geez, Ben really has become my "work wife." ;)