Marvel Cinematic Universe

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Re: Avengers 2 Age of Ultron

Post by Dan » March 29th, 2015, 11:25 am

This is just a guess, but I understand Silvestri has been busy working with Zemeckis on a new film... and a stage musical adaptation of Back to the Future scheduled for this year. 8)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 29th, 2015, 1:34 pm

BTTF sadly got pushed back to 2016 (or even beyond)...a shame in that it will miss the 30th anniversary.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vernadyn » March 29th, 2015, 4:33 pm

Ben wrote:From insiders, I understand that there was a rush on this and there was disappointment that Tyler hadn't used more of Silvestri's themes to tie things together. Silvestri (either then unavailable or peeved he had been passed over for the sequel) wasn't able to come and fill some gaps in, hence why they gave Elfman a bunch of cash to inject some Silvestri moments into the score.
Fascinating. But I wonder why someone as high-profile as Elfman got the gig and not someone like, say, John Debney, who has done this kind of thing extremely well before. (In the case of The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor, I actually thought Debney's contributions were better than the music by the original composer!)

I too loved Tyler's score to Iron Man 3… he really wrote a heck of a main theme! And as Tyler scored the last Thor film as well, here's hoping the score to Age of Ultron at least references the previously established character themes for Iron Man, Thor, Cap, and the Avengers. Marvel Studios films aren't so great at musical continuity; at this point, only Cap's theme has been used in more than one film.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 29th, 2015, 6:44 pm

Vernadyn wrote:I actually thought Debney's contributions were better than the music by the original composer!
...who was, ironically, Mr Silvestri!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 1st, 2015, 8:59 am

Vernadyn wrote:The one-sheet reveals that Danny Elfman is doing additional music. I'm curious to know what his contributions are.
Just a thought that popped into my head: what was Mr Elfman's last contribution to the (wider) Marvel universe (and I'm not talking Hulk!)...? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vernadyn » April 1st, 2015, 8:41 pm

Ben wrote:...who was, ironically, Mr Silvestri!
SIlvestri did Mummy Returns, a score I love and, unless there is a huge cover-up, Debney did not write any music for that film; it was Silvestri all the way. I was talking about the third Mummy film with Jet Li in China, whose original score was by Randy Edelman. That was the film where Debney was brought on to write additional music.
Ben wrote:Just a thought that popped into my head: what was Mr Elfman's last contribution to the (wider) Marvel universe (and I'm not talking Hulk!)...? ;)
You're talking about the web-head, right? It would be cool if he did have a cameo in this film (or in the post-credits stinger), but the Sony deal happened only recently, so I kind of doubt it. Speaking of which, I remember taking it for granted that Christopher Young used Elfman's themes for Spider-Man 3. Now, Marvel Studios seems to not care about musical continuity (although I was perfectly fine with Ramin Djawadi not continuing with Iron Man after the first one.)

As a final note, it looks like Elfman's now getting equal credit with Tyler according to the credit block on this TV spot.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 2nd, 2015, 6:16 am

Interesting! So, more than just "additional" or "contributions", then.

But I still say don't be surprised if Spidey shows up in a sting, even if he's cast or not. They know how mental that would drive everyone (and confirmation that Spidey in Marvel is real). Don't forget that the last Avengers sting didn't happen until a week AFTER the movie was out...they have a two-month lead this time if Spidey is to swing by at the end...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » April 2nd, 2015, 1:24 pm

Looks like they still don't have a clue who Scarlet Witch is--
Here, they couldn't decide between telekinesis and "messing with the heroes' heads", which means they've basically rewritten the Bad Jean Grey from X3.
Think they killed Wanda off in the comics anyway, so the current canon isn't going to be much help.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 2nd, 2015, 2:37 pm

They had to completely rework the character because they couldn't use any of the comic's origins. Fox still has dibs on Scarlett Witch the mutant.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 2nd, 2015, 5:13 pm

So why use her (and Quicksilver) and cause potential audience confusion? Avengers has a long way to go to beat X-Men's treatment of Quicksilver, that's for sure.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 2nd, 2015, 6:02 pm

Well, he was only in one scene (cool scene that it was). And the fact that his appearance was announced in DOFP literally right after Disney revealed the character would be in The Avengers speaks volumes about the motives for including him in the film at all!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 2nd, 2015, 8:55 pm

True that. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » April 3rd, 2015, 8:15 am

Ben wrote:So why use her (and Quicksilver) and cause potential audience confusion? Avengers has a long way to go to beat X-Men's treatment of Quicksilver, that's for sure.
In addition to the good point Dacey made, I'll also note that the characters seem to have completely different personalities. DOFP Quicksilver is a rascally teenager, while AoU Quicksilver is a mid-20's, more somber fellow that's overprotective of his sister.
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 3rd, 2015, 10:42 am

True that. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » April 3rd, 2015, 11:06 am

Ben wrote:So why use her (and Quicksilver) and cause potential audience confusion? Avengers has a long way to go to beat X-Men's treatment of Quicksilver, that's for sure.
As for why, basically the same reason as Ant-Man, Black Panther and Dr. Strange: They "had" to be included in the canon, or fans would ask what the Avengers would do without them. (At least the Vision was tied into the Ultron backstory.)
As for accuracy to "beat", hoo-boy...
LotsoA113 wrote:In addition to the good point Dacey made, I'll also note that the characters seem to have completely different personalities. DOFP Quicksilver is a rascally teenager, while AoU Quicksilver is a mid-20's, more somber fellow that's overprotective of his sister.
AoU's is closer to the classic model (ie. Magneto's apple that didn't fall far from the tree), but...you mean that Bryan Singer in DoFP got a Marvel character wrong, just for a cheap indulgent gag?--HEAVEN FORFEND!!! :lol: