Marvel Cinematic Universe

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Avengers and the MCU

Post by EricJ » May 5th, 2018, 8:48 pm

Finally got around to Marvel & the Deathly Hallows, Pt. 1, and for all the talk of "Marvel's plans for Phase 4", I get the distinct feeling of a studio franchise setting its affairs in order.
They did everything but throw Dumbledore off the parapets--Oh, wait, maybe they did, counting what happened to [SPOILER] by the climax. Although, ironically, we also happened to get the trailer to Fantastic Beasts: Crimes of Grindlegrundle before the feature...Some franchises know when a finale story is a finale, and some never do.

And just checking, I haven't yet done the joke about expecting Thanos, after [SPOILER]'s big attack at the end, to say "I'm...feelin'...mighty LOWWW"?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » May 13th, 2018, 9:24 am

Ms marvel movie will be part of next phase.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/9 ... ain-marvel

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 20th, 2018, 4:21 pm

And now this happened...

https://deadline.com/2018/07/james-gunn ... 202430392/

To clarify, Gunn has apologized for these kinds of jokes repeatedly, and Disney almost certainly knew about them when they hired him, so...
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 20th, 2018, 9:17 pm

Disney knew he was a naughty hot potato when they hired him for Guardians. In fact, that’s *why^ they hired him for Guardians. But that was also back when those tweets had faded.

Anything resurfacing these days is just as good as being posted as new, since people who missed them first time don’t take any context into account, and people who saw them originally have either forgotten or want to stir the pot in an "I told you so" manner.

This is why I’m not on Facebook, Twitter or any of these things. You’re going to offend someone, somewhere with something - sometimes you even get raked across the coals for being too cautious and not actually replying to a question!

In many ways, he has of course brought this upon himself; in others, he’s come out and admitted it and provided an explanation. This can be read and accepted either way, but the bottom line is that one of Marvel's best and most original voices has just been muted, and that’s a shame foe the future of Guardians and, potentially, the future of the MCU...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 21st, 2018, 1:11 am

Those tweets are such old news. Disney/Marvel knew what they were getting with Gunn. I kind of understand their decision, given how they canned Roseanne, and maybe don't want to look two-faced, but... I wish they'd kept Gunn, who has acknowledged and apologized for the remarks made a while ago.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 21st, 2018, 1:18 am

Ben wrote:Disney knew he was a naughty hot potato when they hired him for Guardians. In fact, that’s *why^ they hired him for Guardians. But that was also back when those tweets had faded.
Disney hired the new quirky-breakout indie director of "Super" to do a Marvel film around the same time as Fox hired the new quirky-breakout indie director of "Chronicle" to do a Fantastic Four film. The same idea, just that one flavor-of-the-week acquisition worked out, the other....not so much.

Gunn may have been the goofball director of "Slither" and the writer of "Tromeo & Juliet", but he was at least, um, qualified to write for Star-Lord and his Awesome Mix tape in the way other directors might not be, even if it was co-writer Nicole Perlman who kept him focused on the MCU canonical duties. If they'd given him Thor: Ragnarok instead, it might have ended in an even bigger mess than Taika Waititi made of it.
Like Peter Jackson before and after the LOTR series, he'd put on his Grownup Pants, had a big box-office hit, and was required to be seen as a breakout genius now, but that still doesn't excuse the earlier work coming from a goofy source. Either they accept the "genius" they've got now, or they can say they should have seen it coming back then.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 21st, 2018, 10:25 am

Is Eric trying to say that Thor 3 was a failure now, or...?

:?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 21st, 2018, 9:12 pm

Dacey wrote:Is Eric trying to say that Thor 3 was a failure now, or...?
It was a box-office hit because very few Marvel movies aren't, but, a week later...were YOU proud of the Willy Wonka/Disneyland gag either?
Waititi certainly wanted to create his "own" version of Gunn's fratboy-Guardians goofiness because he apparently believed all MCU "should" have it, but...I think we've just stared off the edge of the cliff for post-Guardians "pop-culture spoof". :shock:

At least Gunn could stay within a reasonably reverent/canonical Marvel framework with Guardians V2, even despite the Cheers jokes. That doesn't mean they'd have given him Infinity War, though.
Last edited by EricJ on July 21st, 2018, 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 21st, 2018, 10:36 pm

*Checks RT, sees that Thor 3 is the fifth best reviewed MCU movie*

Yup. People hated it. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 22nd, 2018, 3:56 am

Actually...I did. Sat in the theatre and got so easily bored at the relentless random jokes, looooong tally middle bit and then a finale that was just a bunch of gods beating up on each other. And they’re gods, so it’s kind of redundant. They can’t get hurt, they can’t die (yes, I’m incliding Hulk in this). So that half hour stretch was about 25 minutes too long. That half hour they reportedly put back in? Should have stayed out and made a tighter film. I think I actually nodded off a couple of times, too...and it was a matinee!

It’s no wonder that the same afternoon, just as I was about to head home, that I figured I may as well punish myself more and see Justice Leage at the same time, since I was there. It’s saying something that Thor was so bad that I ended up really enjoying the League perhaps more than I should have and usually would have.

Just sayin'. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 22nd, 2018, 3:19 pm

Ben wrote:Actually...I did. Sat in the theatre and got so easily bored at the relentless random jokes, looooong tally middle bit and then a finale that was just a bunch of gods beating up on each other.
It’s no wonder that the same afternoon, just as I was about to head home, that I figured I may as well punish myself more and see Justice Leage at the same time, since I was there. It’s saying something that Thor was so bad that I ended up really enjoying the League perhaps more than I should have and usually would have.
I assumed at the time it was the reverse, that critics were deliberately praising Thor 3's lighthearted (if a tad overdone) Guardians-goofiness BECAUSE of the ponderous Zack Snyder hammering they knew they were going to get from Justice League the same month.

(With Marvel fans, it's sort of a reverse of the whole "DC fans hate RottenTomatoes" thing:
"Those RT critics just deliberately love every single Marvel movie, because they're old out-of-touch grownup critics who don't read comic books...Can't comic fans make up their own minds, and say that Black Panther just wasn't as good as Civil War?") :lol:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 22nd, 2018, 4:27 pm

I'm old fashioned in that I liked (heck, even loved) both films?

Thor's lighthearted approach works because (a) the subject matter is so dark and (b) it allows the viewer to laugh at death before it becomes all too real in Infinity War. Regardless, highly unlikely it was done that way because of JL (which had plenty of jokes, for what it's worth).

I guess I can understand that it's not everyone's cup of tea due to its somewhat "bizarre" sense of humor, though. But then again, the same could probably be said for the GOTG films as well.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 30th, 2018, 4:05 pm

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 30th, 2018, 9:07 pm

I think that is awesome. Good on 'em! I hope it does some good.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » August 10th, 2018, 7:41 am

Sony looking at jackpot as a Spider-Man spin-off film. Why not use Spider-Man's sister? She is a hero.(yes peter has a sister now)

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/08/09/ ... -in-works/