Marvel Cinematic Universe

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Avengers 2 and the MCU

Post by Randall » April 13th, 2016, 10:52 pm

Yes, and I like it. :)

Apparently, Spidey is one of the best parts of Civil War, too.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 14th, 2016, 6:56 am

Yes, but they said that about WW in BVS, too, and all we got was whaa-whaa guitars! ;)

Keaton...as...Vulture? I could see that.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » April 14th, 2016, 11:56 am

I figure either Vulture, or Kraven the Hunter. But apparently, it's a 'secret'. :roll:

/just don't let him be Green Goblin

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » April 14th, 2016, 2:29 pm

droosan wrote:I figure either Vulture, or Kraven the Hunter. But apparently, it's a 'secret'. :roll:
/just don't let him be Green Goblin
They finally got Green Goblin right, but it was in TASM2, darnit! And the last twenty minutes of the movie, too! :evil:

As for Keaton (am I the only person who remembers Keaton using his "edginess" for humor, in Mr. Mom?), Kraven is plausible, but Mysterio would be next on the list.

(One of the reasons Sam Raimi reportedly bailed on the fourth movie was that Sony didn't want to use the Black Cat, and wanted to make her the Vulturess instead. I'm guessing we're not going to see the canonical Vulture for a while.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vernadyn » April 14th, 2016, 5:58 pm

EricJ wrote:They finally got Green Goblin right, but it was in TASM2, darnit! And the last twenty minutes of the movie, too! :evil:
Maybe, but I disliked the actor's portrayal. He had no menace at all, and his laugh sounded like a toddler playing with his action figures pretending to be a villain. I admit that I haven't read a whole lot of Spider-Man comics, so maybe that's what the Green Goblin is like in the comics.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 14th, 2016, 6:03 pm

Dafoe was the best Goblin. It's not even a contest. But I have no issue with the character showing up again in the MCU.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » April 14th, 2016, 9:30 pm

Agree with Dacey on both points.

In fact, if they follow the books, Osborne plays an essential role in post-Civil War as the primary antagonist.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » May 8th, 2016, 11:49 am

Upon arriving at the theater, we notice two huge lines. One to buy tickets for Civil War, the second to get into the building. Once inside, I managed to spy through the sea of humanity a table that said official merchandise. It was empty at the time, but I had a feeling there was going to be stuff there after the movie. I was right. Still having to sift through body after body of people lining up to see the next showing, there were some Civil War shirts, hoodies, water bottle, poster, and a couple other merch. We each ended up getting the shirt with the group shot.

Quite a marketing strategy by Disney, setting up a merchandise table in the theater. :mrgreen:

Any one else catch this in their showing?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 10th, 2016, 7:56 pm

Not at our theatre, and a Cinemark, at that. (Last time I saw anything for sale it was the special SW 3D glasses for Force Awakens, which were sold at the ticket counter, and which I dutifully brought to this showing.)

And while the thread's still on Spidey in the Civil War, he does still come off as the Tobey Macguire "new kid" with no overconfidence or wisecracks yet, but at least he invented his own web-fluid, and a couple overaged geeks in the audience applauded when they covered over another origin with just a "Right thing to do or do nothing" speech.
Aunt May should not be a hot MILF, though, that's just too ungrounding. (The Raimi movies got her right, she's supposed to look like an "Aunt May".) I didn't think much of it when it was announced, but, seriously.
In fact, they did such a good job setting up Spidey and the Black Panther, I'm frankly wondering what the solo movies are supposed to do for an encore.
Last edited by EricJ on May 11th, 2016, 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 10th, 2016, 8:10 pm

Saw Civil War tonight. LOVED IT!

Now THAT'S how you do a superhero smackdown (and introduce new characters!) on film. Vastly entertaining and...gulp...actually quite deep. Excellent.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vernadyn » May 12th, 2016, 2:05 am

The Russo brothers have managed to hone a kinetic, thrilling style for action scenes while incorporating emotional and thematic beats true to the characters. Sure, the airport scene and climax were exhilarating, but it would have been just a sound and light show if I hadn't cared about the characters. I did appreciate that the "Civil War" theme was woven through the fabric of the entire movie instead of, say, just for a brief, underwhelming fight scene that had to be resolved hastily (and rather risibly) so the title characters could putter off and fight a cave troll.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » May 13th, 2016, 11:00 pm

As noted on the front page:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... dan-893845

Man, Marvel's like to any one who ever played Johnny Storm they'll have something for them. :wink:

And I guess Nyong'o really is legally required to appear in every Disney movie. :lol:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » May 14th, 2016, 12:23 am

At least this time Lupita will be SEEN. It was so unfortunate that this beautiful actress was cast in Star Wars after her Oscar win, only to voice a weird little CGI beastie.

AV Team
AV Team

Re: Avengers and the MCU

Post by Dan » May 15th, 2016, 1:17 pm

Funny you should mention that about Nyong'o. She wrote a blog on Lena Dunham's Lenny Letter newsletter about how she goes about choosing the roles she's offered when asked why she decided to act in a "small play" recently (nevermind that she was just nominated for a Tony Award for said "small play") and she makes note of her choosing to play engaging CG characters over housewives with no singularity.
Her blog: http://www.lennyletter.com/work/a361/wh ... ig-screen/

With that said, the trailer for The Queen of Katwe dropped earlier this past week, so you'll be able to "see" her on screen shortly. :mrgreen:

---

Since it appears Civil War is easily going to overtake Dawn of Justice in the box office (it's already surpassed it in world-wide totals), Box Office Mojo is looking at where the film could ultimately bow at compared to the other Marvel films. From the looks of it, it's on pace to potentially surpass Iron Man 3 to be the top grossing film not titled the Avengers (officially titled any way).

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Avengers and the MCU

Post by Randall » May 15th, 2016, 2:47 pm

I applaud her choices. I was only disappointed for myself. I was excited to see her fighting Star Wars villains in person, but instead got served a CGI creation. But if she's happy to do it, then good for her. I'll look forward to seeing her elsewhere.