More Miyazaki on US Blu Ray

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: More Miyazaki on US Blu Ray

Post by Randall » April 25th, 2015, 7:12 pm

Grave of the Fireflies is still not in stock, but the $9.99 price is back today at Amazon.com.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 3rd, 2015, 2:14 am

Spirited Away! At last! Review updated with new screenshots:

http://animatedviews.com/2015/spirited-away/

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 3rd, 2015, 7:45 am

Neato!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 3rd, 2015, 2:23 pm

Very nice! Looks great!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 30th, 2015, 1:05 pm

Complete Miyazaki movie collection coming in November...

http://nerdist.com/exclusive-the-collec ... o-blu-ray/

You see, they want to spend all your time collecting them, and then they do this. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 30th, 2015, 5:31 pm

Darn it... Just got Cagliostro, have the other four that I wanted!

I may well have sprung for this if I'd just had one or two titles, but with almost half of this set on my shelf I can't see myself going for it, nice as it is. It would have been nice to catch up on some titles I would probably never go for, but I think I'll stick with my individuals on the titles I wanted to get.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » July 30th, 2015, 8:48 pm

*bursts into flames*

GAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!

I get all of them on blu ray and NOW Amazon announces this?! With friggin' never been released in US animation?!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 30th, 2015, 10:49 pm

Yes, I would love to have this, but way too much double dipping at this point.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » December 12th, 2015, 7:05 pm

Heads up (but act FAST!): Amazon's Hayao Miyazaki Blu-ray boxed set is currently one of its 'Deals of the Day' -- available for just US$165, for the next 8 hours only.

Fortunately, the only true 'double-dip' for me is The Castle of Cagliostro .. on Blu-ray, anyway. For some reason, I hadn't yet bothered to buy these movies on BD .. though, I do have all of these titles on DVD (and also had most of 'em on LD).

It's still a pretty darn good deal at US$250 (considering the japanese version of this set went for ~US$600) .. but it was nice to get an even better deal, while it lasted! 8)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » December 13th, 2015, 10:28 am

Read up a review on High Def Digest that made me think twice about the mega set. While it has all of Miyzaki's films that's been currently available in the states on blu ray, it apparently doesn't have ANY of their special features. Not from the individual blu releases, not from past DVDs, none. Only that bonus disc with Yuki's Sun, three episodes of Little Samurai, and the retirement press conference are the only supplements the set offers.

Ultimately, since I already have each of the films on blu and while the bonus disc would be nice to have, it sure as hell ain't worth thinking about double dipping. So I've no longer exploded with frustration and instead shake my head with disappointment.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 13th, 2015, 11:36 am

That. Is. Ridiculous.

I mean, what's the point? Who are they targeting with this then? Obviously not people who have all the films and may have been tempted to try and pass them on to get a new set with all the extras plus some new exclusive things!

So glad I wasn't tempted, though I was waiting for reviews to see if it might have been worth it. Sounds like a bullet well dodged, and how odd that they wouldn't just reuse the pressings they already have! Quite a bizarre choice...makes importing the more encompassing Japanese Ghibli set even more enticing.

Totally don't get the point of this edition and who it is aimed at: certainly regular joes that want the films won't want the expense or be interested in the extras anyhow. Disappointment is right!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 13th, 2015, 12:07 pm

I'm wondering if I should post a warning about the set on social media. This could lead to some mighty weird Christmas mornings, that's for sure.

That's like the MCU: Phase II box set not having anything on it (although, with regards to Whedon's incoherent babbling on the commentary track for Age of Ultron--a movie I very much enjoyed--, that might be a good thing).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » December 13th, 2015, 12:14 pm

Well, I still have all of the Studio Ghibli films on DVD .. most of them in 2-disc sets, with plenty of bonus features.

I'm surprised to learn that the Miyazaki Blu-ray boxed set is that 'bare-bones' .. but I was mainly interested in getting the movies in 1080p, anyway.

I'm content to keep both formats, for these titles; there's plenty of room on my shelves for that..! :mrgreen:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 13th, 2015, 6:28 pm

Woah...wait, wait, wait!

The MCU Phase 2 Collection is also barebones? I have mine on the way to me and I'm expecting the same BD and BD-3D discs that have been issued individually, plus the bonus disc (that, as far as I can see, does actually have a bunch of new, or at least newly collated, extras).

Is this not the case, or is Dacey taking a swipe, knowing that I've been holding out for this set? ;)

Phew: yes, it's all in there and more: http://io9.com/the-marvel-cinematic-uni ... 1745601655

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 13th, 2015, 6:44 pm

LOL. I was being hypothetical. ;) (Probably should've said "that would be like" instead)