DreamWorks' Boss Baby

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: DreamWorks' Boss Baby

Post by rjones1325 » March 19th, 2017, 3:43 pm

As you would guess it, Alec Baldwin’s voice performance is the driving force of the movie. No, it is not as unique as Baldwin voicing a Russian Santa Claus in Rise of the Guardians, but his delivery on his dialogue that works. With Baldwin’s voice interacting with Miles Bakshi (who oddly got his start voicing one of the Shrek babies), the jokes really write themselves. It's conceptually hysterical having an adult voice coming out an adorable baby (this is why everyone’s favorite Family Guy character is Stewie) so Baldwin’s voice is the perfect fit for the film.

https://rendyreviews.com/movies//the-boss-baby-review

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 19th, 2017, 6:51 pm

A film for BABIES! Seriously an entire feature film about Alec Baldwin as Baby Donald Trump?
A demanding corporate-boss baby, with a big head, weird hair, and Alec Baldwin's voice...Y'know, if I hadn't seen it in production from years back, I'd swear it was all INTENTIONAL.
(Audiences who haven't, though, probably will.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » March 20th, 2017, 5:36 am

Apparently there were advanced showings of this movie the past weekend in the capital cities in Australia according to my Facebook feed. I totally forgot it existed to be honest.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 22nd, 2017, 5:04 pm

The Beauty and the Beast trailer got a very strong reaction at my screening, so DreamWorks apparently made a good move there.

Then again, Beauty is probably going to dominate the market until The Fate of the Furious, especially since I suspect repeat business will be strong. But there may still be room for this to become a sleeper.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 31st, 2017, 3:26 pm

Baby is beating expectations so far...

http://deadline.com/2017/03/ghost-in-th ... 202056616/
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » April 11th, 2017, 10:47 am

AV review: http://animatedviews.com/2017/the-boss-baby-film/

Not much to say since the film doesn't have much meat on the bone!

In the review, I mention "for over half the movie there's a completely reasonable, and somewhat clever, explanation for a briefcase-carrying baby who has wads of cash walking and talking like an adult. Then suddenly near the end, they veer away from that more satisfying conclusion and go with the more traditional ending".

Read the review first (it's shorter than usual this time!) then read this if you want completely spoiled:
Throughout the film we are shown and told over and over how imaginative Tim is. They show us how he sees the world while playing then we see the same scene as it is really happening. So the better explanation for the story is that it is Tim's imagination dealing with this new baby invading his life and seemingly taking over. He comes up with this idea that the baby is not what it seems and only he can help his parents see it. Then he decides he can get rid of the baby sooner by helping complete the mission. They bond and learn to love each other then the baby chooses to not drink the "magic formula" thus becoming a real baby and part of the family.

This is actually hinted at several times. For example, Tim is in an exciting chase scene with the baby through the back yard complete with an explosion, then the parents look out the window and see them going at normal speed without all the pyrotechnics.

Instead it appears it was all real, with the boys going to Las Vegas on an airplane at one point.

Would have been much more fun and revelatory for kids to figure out that the whole thing might have been in Tim's head.