Toy Story 4 / Toy Story 5

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Toy Story 4

Post by EricJ » June 9th, 2018, 6:42 pm

Ben wrote:A tough choice for Iger's Disney, but he couldn’t have let Rosanne go over a single tweet (however inflammatory) and then not addressed this situation in the same way. He’s now set a precedent that any kind of inappropriate behavior, be it racist, sexual or socially biased in any way, won’t be tolerated by the Mouse.

Some "fans" (the kind that love some things so much they kill them)
(Why thank you, Ben, we knew you didn't have anyone in mind with that bit of obsessively-hounding passive hostility... :roll: )
might not like these attitudes and how they affect a company's output (SJW stuff and the like) but Disney is heading in the right direction and largely doing the right thing. It may all feel a little "overkill" right now, but in time this will smooth itself out and real change will have occurred.
---
It’s a soft comedown. His place is secured. As with Eisner, his contributions won’t be overlooked or dismissed, but they perhaps won’t be praised as much either. Any unwanted "attention" is wrong, but it’s not like he was Harvey here. Obviously we don’t know the whole story, but it’s a bit of a shame that he wasn’t reprimanded and given a lesser role...although that may have been offered and declined by him. Pretty hard for people like that to have to accept they’re not the boss anymore.
From the public division we've seen, Lasseter's firing--and ritual demonization as a Rabelaisian Hellbeast On Earth--has really brought the issue forward: How much IS "Too much"? Like the Three-Strikes Rule that puts people into no-parole life imprisonment alongside serial killers for three cases of drug possession when they should be getting treatment, when does an actor turn out to be racist white-trash or an executive a Weinstein-slimeball waste of oxygen, and when is he simply indulging in obnoxious behavior that might have been grudgingly tolerated five years ago, but needs a few updated weekend management-seminars upon today? Didn't our parents teach us to ACCEPT someone's apology as common courtesy?
Although a certain president may have beaten the term "Witch hunt" into the ground, it's still there in the dictionary to define a general zeitgeist in which one deserved success gives the hunters a little too much confidence to see what other big public sacred-cows they can "get", for the politicized sake of "getting" them, and then discrediting anyone who rushes to the victims' defense as the next worthless collaborator in cahoots. And having it be Noble Empowered Women hunting Evil Chauvinists doesn't put it on any more admirable level than Big Important Senators hunting imaginary Communists.
As one columnist put it, "MeToo" used to be a movement-name suggesting support, now it's become the Attention-hound phrase it always was.

The M2'ers are basically, and wishfully, thinking that anyone they snare in their bear trap IS Harvey Weinstein...And frankly, very few human beings on this earth could be.
And while Lasseter still has a few grudging enemies because of his early management style, those horror stories are only brought up now as an excuse to defend the bonfire-of-the-vanities--"See, we should have seen what a reprehensible no-good he was all along!"
Pretty excited that Pete Docter looks to be the guy to take on Pixar, although that probably means less screen goodness from him, although I’m less jazzed about Jennifer Lee doing the same for Disney. I’m still not sure I see where the steak of inspiration is there. And it’s clear that Lasseter will essentially be retained for the next six months as a handing over exercise, so he’s sure to use that time to line up his soldiers: maybe a return to directing is on the cards, or a bigger role at Imagineering? We haven’t seen the last of him, for sure. And not, frankly, that we should have (although, again, we don’t know the full story).
I remember when we were celebrating the ding-dong-witch-is-dead after Michael Eisner left the company, wondered who would be put in next, heard it would be Eisner's right-hand Bob Iger, and at first groaned as if we'd been had. Then, we heard about Iger's Oswald/ESPN swap, and thought "O-kayyy...Maybe this guy's probation's going to be pretty short, after all. :) "
That's pretty much the reaction to hearing Pete Docter in the running--He's got a good handle on what made the Toy Story movies so key to the companies' identity style, and "Inside Out" defined it. Disney/Pixar doesn't just get by on big property names, it's already identified in audience's minds as the studio that thinks differently, and thus delivers more original product than Warner or Sony...To most audiences, it's become literally the Last Studio They'll Still Go to See in Theaters, and you don't wanna lose that right now.

As for Jennifer Lee being he other obvious "Big name" being floated to Take Over The Studio, who's made an entire industry "Women in Hollywood!" movement out of one trendy and wishfully-misinterpreted hit (and one that was likely the delayed-reaction of audiences just finding out about Tangled and the New Renaissance, like Lion King should have given half its box office to Aladdin)...oyyy. You do NOT want a Lee-run Disney. Aside from guaranteeing more Frozen sequels, that was pretty much in the same ballpark of how "Gigantic" ended up in such a mess in the first place.
When you can smell the bits of "Wreck-It Ralph"'s screenplay that had to have come from the future Frozen director, you sort of prefer another one of Pixar's Old Men for the next few years on, who knows how to tell an actual story for everyone...
Last edited by EricJ on June 9th, 2018, 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 9th, 2018, 7:57 pm

Actually, I was referring to the kind of guys that made that non-feminist cut of The Last Jedi and can’t handle "their" Star Wars being anything but what they want it to be.

Not everything is about you, Eric... :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 9th, 2018, 9:45 pm

Ben wrote:Actually, I was referring to the kind of guys that made that non-feminist cut of The Last Jedi and can’t handle "their" Star Wars being anything but what they want it to be.
(On a side note, do you honestly believe the complaints against Last Jedi were "feminist" ones?...Seriously??
Has it opened over there yet? :shock: )

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 10th, 2018, 3:18 am

My problems with TLJ are far more than any feminist angle, which didn’t really bother me considering the shocking story structure and the throwing out of almost every strand established in the previous film, but it sure appears to have gotten to some, as I said, "fans":

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/j ... s-so-toxic

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 20th, 2018, 8:26 am

Just wanted to say that I think they chose his relplacements well (especially Pete Docter, who really knows how to bring out that “Classic Disney” feel.) Looking forward to seeing their plans for both studios
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 1st, 2018, 10:08 pm

Wow! Interesting comments from Hanks. I have to admit my interest is piqued. :)

https://comicbook.com/movies/2018/11/01 ... tom-hanks/
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 1st, 2018, 10:54 pm

I very much liked the more "comfort food" quality of the Toy Story shorts and TV specials, though. They had been through their own form of Hell (almost literally as they all nearly died in an inferno) in Toy Story 3, so I rather enjoyed the more "relaxed" nature of the post-TS3 stuff.

I'm excited to see what they come up with for Toy Story 4, of course. But I'm not sure if audiences should be going through something as "impactful" as what they are apparently aiming for here, not after everything the characters already went through in the third movie.

Of course, I may eat the words of this post after I'm wiping tears from my eyes during TS4's end credit crawl, but you know what I mean...
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 2nd, 2018, 12:29 am

Well, that's what the films are for right? Bring out the Hanks hankies!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 2nd, 2018, 3:40 am

Annie Potts (Bo Peep) has also let it slip that "They threw out 3/4 of the script and completely reworked it", so looks like we're not getting "Woody loves Bo Peep", and getting something a little more in the Pixar Brain Trust tradition.
https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/11/01 ... -4s-ending

Yeah, I.....agree. :? It didn't quite sound like a Pixar epic, much less a TS3 followup.
Just because Bob Iger threw the title at them for Anniversary marketing, doesn't mean they can compromise what us old-softie grownups expect from it.
Meant pushing the release date back a year, but hopefully they're not doing a Good Dinosaur patchup-job on it.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 2nd, 2018, 6:36 am

It still messes my brain up that this seems to have come around so fast after being announced and that it’s only a few months away.

Mind you...the last time the script was thrown out and they raced to finish a TS movie, I remember the results were pretty good!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 12th, 2018, 10:43 pm

Interesting that the trailer and the poster are going for completely different tones...

http://animatedviews.com/2018/first-toy ... -released/
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 19th, 2019, 1:15 pm

New trailer looks very sweet and surprisingly dramatic! I’m excited! (And yeah it definitely does seem like many tears will be shed. :cry: )

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 20th, 2019, 7:48 am

Biggest "non-Easter egg" on the poster? A lack of one executive producer's name...

While it’s obvious why he’s not there, it’s also something of a surprise since he was certainly attached to this, first as director, then as exec producer, so I’m betting some complicated behind the scenes negotiating went on here to give him a payout to leave his name off the credits. Still, that’s got to hurt for the guy, especially to see the first film out of the gate without any public association for him to be the latest in the series that kickstarted the whole Lasseter-Pixar revolution (and even before that...anyone else spot Tinny in a blink-and-you'll-miss shot?).

That all said, is it me or do all the voices in this sound off? Not exactly "old" (although this is all obviously 25 years later...gosh...twenty-five-years-later!), but not quite feeling their old selves. Allen's Buzz is there alright, but Woody often comes over as Hanks' sound-alike brother (particularly the "you are Bonnie's toy" line) and Potts' Bo is a little bit...creepy?

Also, isn’t there much rehashing and contradicting of previous story elements and themes aplenty? Another lost toy...another rescue attempt...another toy gets sucked into a new life for a while... And what's with Woody? One second he’s trying to get all of his pals away from the suspect daycare center and the next he’s happy to become part of a carnival crowd and apparently abandon his mission and what he believes in?

Sorry, but it all seems a bit disjointed, old and samey, though I obviously wait to be surprised and wowed. But at the moment, all I’m seeing is old road movie/toy cult clans story tropes being warmed over again, and a cash-grab feel that hopefully doesn’t taint the perfectly capped trilogy as was.

Still..cool to see Tinny in there though!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 22nd, 2019, 2:09 pm

Ben wrote:That all said, is it me or do all the voices in this sound off?
With Bo, I think it's more the tone. She's talking a lot more faster compared to the first two movies. Still, Potts' has not lost it. Glad she wasn't replaced. :)

The thing I found most 'off' in the trailer is that scene with young Andy. Kind of a drastic update, no? Could almost pass as a new character. Too detail-ish. :lol: Unless it's Andy Jr. (-- Nah)

Also interesting to note, the flashback scene where it shows Andy giving Bonnie Woody was NOT in TS3. By that I mean, when that exact moment happens in the movie we see only their hands. Slightly different point of view. Think that's pretty neat!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 27th, 2019, 2:44 pm

Yeah, I definitely agree that there’s something not quite right about Woody’s voice: a.) it just doesn’t sound “strong” enough, sort of like Hanks was sick/had a sore throat or something, but more than that: the rich, vibrant quality of Woody speaking just isn’t there. (As Ben said, sort of like a Hanks sound-alike.)
b.). I don’t know, maybe it’s just me, but did he also sound kind of...nasally? Well anyway, it just wasn’t Woody. :|

(Just FYI I’m commenting on the trailer that was just posted today, but I noticed some of these aspects in the other trailers too.)