Official Star Wars Thread

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Official Star Wars Thread

Post by Ben » February 18th, 2017, 9:31 pm

I'm not the only one here thinking "if only", right guys?

Right!? ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 14th, 2017, 12:13 pm

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 14th, 2017, 2:35 pm

Much better orchestration than the first teaser for Force Awakens. I have a good feeling about this!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » April 14th, 2017, 10:45 pm

It was quite the experience to watch the live stream of the trailer at work. :mrgreen: It helped that I had two monitors so that it looked like I was busy, but shifting my eyes more onto the trailer when it launched.

Quite pumped to see the film.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 24th, 2017, 2:59 pm

Last Jedi preview in Vanity Fair!
:)

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/201 ... -portfolio

(Quite long article--skimmed it. No spoiler warnings so I assume there aren't any.)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 21st, 2017, 6:58 pm

I'm going to assume this isn't the super cool title Ben may have heard about a while back? ;)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/mov ... 772113001/
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 22nd, 2017, 3:28 pm

Nope, but it's close.

I don't know when it changed, or if the one I heard was the original script title, if it was the previous directors' name, or if it was being discussed when Howard came in, but I think it was a slightly better title.

Solo's Game: A Star Wars Story.

I guess I can post that now that it's been changed/announced. So that's what I had heard from someone on set. And I liked it, getting his name in there as well as a little intrigue. It's a bit gritty too. What's the game? What are the stakes? Why should we never tell him the odds?

The rather obvious, and to me bland, Solo title doesn't say much, other than what's on "the tin" inside. I think better would have been to call it Han Solo, if only to try and put to bed all those people who never quite got the name and still call him Hans, which conjures up images of a lederhosen attired space smuggler!

Solo is not really a let down (what else was a Han Solo movie really ever going to be called anyway!?), but it's not too intriguing either. At least Solo's Game had a bit of mystery, a bit of intrigue. Heck, even if you didn't know who Han Solo was, Solo's Game just sounds like a pretty cool title, ready to reveal more about itself. I guess you might get that from just Solo, but that might not be a character name...it could be about some renegade guy who likes to be alone (again why Han Solo works a little better).

But...anyway...that's what I heard a long, long time ago, and I still think it's a better title. Does it refer to how Solo lives his life? Is it the actual game or challenge in which he wins the Falcon? Solo's Game makes it clear this is a character name, and it has a good few angles to it.

Maybe when Howard came in they had a rethink (it might even be a contractual thing so that he can claim full director credit on the "new" version of the film). But it was Solo's Game a while back, and I thought that was super cool.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 22nd, 2017, 9:10 pm

I'm betting (strongly) that "Solo's Game" was dropped due to the similarity to "Ender's Game"--- especially considering that Ford was in that film adaptation too! But it would have been a great title, for sure.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 23rd, 2017, 6:28 pm

Um...I don't think so. Ford isn't in this one for one thing, and Solo's Game as a script title would have come well after Ender was done and on home video.

The feeling I got from it was that it was more of a Ripley's Game approach anyway, but the title wold have been picked after Ender. The choice to change it is much more recent than what will be a five year old film by the time Solo comes out. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 13th, 2017, 10:29 pm

So...The Last Jedi:

Goofy. Weird. WTF.

Kinda looking forward to JJ coming back for the next one...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 14th, 2017, 6:33 am

Just wanted to point out that what I said above isn’t necessarily *bad*...!

I enjoyed the film a great deal - it’s MUCH funnier than expected - but that there are a lot of odd choices in there and ultimately it left something of a sour taste in my mouth.

There is, however, one truly awesome moment (even if it does kind of magnify one of the many contradictions the film has) for a number of reasons. You’ll know. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 15th, 2017, 12:12 am

My son and I have tix for Saturday morning, which was the only time I could squeeze in a theatre visit this weekend. A morning matinee! That feels special unto itself.

Reviews have been very encouraging, and I'm getting more excited to see it every day. Dan went tonight. How'd that go, Dan?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » December 15th, 2017, 1:38 am

Ended up liking it a lot, actually. I really liked what Rian put together. 8)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 15th, 2017, 4:58 am

But you totally get the "goofy, weird, WTF" comment, right? ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » December 15th, 2017, 9:01 am

Goofy, yes. Weird, not really all that weird the way I probably viewed things. WTF, I didn't get such a vibe.