Official Star Wars Thread

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Official Star Wars Thread

Post by Ben » January 4th, 2016, 5:57 pm

Yes, although ironically in the way they used Guinness' voice they could have used him to deliver the full line (though it's nice that they combined both to recognise each actor in the same role).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » January 4th, 2016, 8:35 pm

I knew going into my viewing about the cameo voice appearances, so I tried to many close attention during the vision. I sadly only managed to hear Alec's delivering of Rey.

Did anybody else quietly hum the Fox Fanfare to themselves during the LucasFilm logos appearance? Or was it just me? I associate that piece of music so closely to Star Wars that it felt weird not having it at the start. But then I am a person who whenever I hear the Fanfare I expect the Star Wars music to follow straightway.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » January 4th, 2016, 9:03 pm

I was curious to see if they would have a fanfare of some kind, so I tuned out any thought of the Fox fanfare. I actually like it doesn't have the Fox fanfare now.

I enjoyed on the first Thursday night all the excited squirming when it was showtime and the light cheer that went out when the LucasFilm logo slowly faded in from the darkness.

---

Ready for a good belly laugh?
Read this: http://www.avclub.com/article/mens-righ ... -wa-230194

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 5th, 2016, 4:41 am

I have a really great idea that uses the Disney logo in a way that would segue into the LFL logo and remind us of the Fox Fanfare of old but would be something new, but unfortunately don't have the contacts to get it in front of anyone who might think it was a good direction to go in.

Disney is obviously proud of their ownership and association with Lucasfilm - as they should be - and I think they should have their logo on the front, as a distributor if nothing else (which is all what Fox was on the last five films). At least *something* on the front feels needed, to herald the quiet moment before the main title.

In lieu of something like this, I was (slightly) disappointed that they didn't use the opportunity to debut a flashy new Lucasfilm ident (lightsabres flashing in the dark until a clash recreates the LFL logo? That's not my Disney/LFL logo idea, by the way) on the front of the new film, to get things amped up even more.

Just having the LFL logo come up and go silently felt hugely underwhelming for me.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » January 9th, 2016, 10:03 pm

:lol:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 10th, 2016, 12:43 am

Nice one.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 10th, 2016, 2:25 am

Haha. :)

It's also true that Threepio looks "chubbier" in the new SW...that pic really shows it off! ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » January 10th, 2016, 6:08 am

Force Awakens is off to a hot start in China. Variety reports it grossed a record-setting $33 million on its opening day Saturday.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 18th, 2016, 3:53 am

Courtesy of SNL--Not just funny, but so, so true:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » January 19th, 2016, 9:02 am

The best part about this sketch is that Driver isn't playing a stylized version of Kylo, this is pretty much him from the movie having to interact in these more mundane situations, and that's just great.
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 19th, 2016, 3:26 pm

It also not only plays his "Ambitious angry teen" character ("That lightsaber looks like something a kid would make!"), it pretty much mouths the fans' complaints:
"Y'know, I hear that Kylo's totally ripped?"
"Really? More like some punk b***h who looks like he weighs 30 pounds soaking wet." :lol:

(Oh, now that the "daddy" issue is over, we're SO hoping to get a real villain in the next movie...Like I said, even whiny ol' Anakin was more Dark-Side threatening in Ep. II.)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 19th, 2016, 5:09 pm

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 19th, 2016, 9:09 pm

?

Interesting to see Kasdan still very much involved.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » January 19th, 2016, 9:10 pm

Best part about this, for me, is that Gugu Mbatha-Raw is confirmed to be in the movie!
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 20th, 2016, 2:57 pm

Called it!

http://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars- ... d=20528616

I'm going to savor this for a bit. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."