DC Universe

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Man of Steel (2013)

Post by Ben » August 28th, 2013, 1:39 pm

I don't have a problem with Affleck...the producers have obviously seen something in him that will enable him to carry the role in the film they want to make. Bryan Cranston as Luthor on the other hand? Slightly lazy, predictable and obvious casting, a bit like Spacey. Hopefully he'll be better than that...and different to his Breaking Bad character...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » January 14th, 2014, 9:47 pm

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » August 6th, 2014, 10:46 pm

Figured I'd post here since most discussion about Batman vs. Superman was mostly going on here.

Any way, it appears Warner Bros. decided to be the ones to move the release date for their film, moving Dawn of Justice up from May 6, 2016 to March 25, 2016. This means we won't have the box office showdown between DC's titans and Marvel's first Avenger, Captain America, that had been set up for months.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » August 7th, 2014, 8:09 am

I read something about WB wanting to do six or seven DC Comics films (including Justice League) in the next three years to try and get their "Cinematic Universe" started quickly. Personally, I think that would be a very bad idea. The concept worked when Marvel did it because they built things up slowly and took the time to make sure they did it right, which is why even something as bonkers as Guardians Of The Galaxy that could have easily gone wrong in a hundred different ways ended up working amazingly well. If WB tries to rush it (as they appear to be doing), then instead of being a legitimate competitor to Marvel, their films will seem like nothing but a pale imitation of them. Sure they'll make money (probably), but what good does that do if the films themselves are bad?

EDIT: Hmmm.... I went looking for the link to what I read, and it seems that at the same time they moved the release date for Dawn Of Justice, they also pushed everything else back a couple of years. They must have realized they were making a mistake. Good for them.
Last edited by eddievalient on August 7th, 2014, 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 21st, 2014, 2:19 pm

Never before seen footage, photos, and trivia from the abandoned project Superman Lives:

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/08/20/ ... ual#bHAGLX

Some of the trivia has already been told, some not.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 21st, 2014, 3:34 pm

ShyViolet wrote:Never before seen footage, photos, and trivia from the abandoned project Superman Lives:
http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/08/20/ ... ual#bHAGLX
Some of the trivia has already been told, some not.
There was the weird-@$$ Jon Peters movie, there was the Kevin Smith movie, and there was Tim Burton's "Superman Lives", at which title point, they would have been trying to work in the Death of Superman canon which had been getting all the headlines at this point.
There was a different script every director, and to put all the horror-story rumors together to make ONE movie would sound weird, yes, but it didn't quite happen that way. There are lots of stories to tell from those tragic days.

(And the dog would've technically Krypto, which was from the comics, and the "Lexiac" story was eventually recycled for a serious story arc on the second season of DC Animation's Justice League. Rather well, too.
That still doesn't excuse Barry Sonnenfeld putting the robot spider into Wild Wild West, though.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 21st, 2014, 11:25 pm

Crazy project. The link you've given has the trailer for the documentary already, but here's the crowdfunding page if anyone wants to suppport it:
http://www.fanbacked.com/c/death-superm ... EYR%2BgjuA

I preordered a Blu-ray copy. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Man of Steel, Justice League and DC MOVIES

Post by Ben » October 15th, 2014, 1:13 pm

Warner Bros Announces its upcoming DC slate:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... -dc-741008

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice directed by Zack Snyder (2016)
Suicide Squad directed by David Ayer (2016)
Wonder Woman starring Gal Gadot (2017)
Justice League Part One directed by Snyder, with Ben Affleck, Henry Cavill and Amy Adams reprising their roles (2017)
The Flash starring Ezra Miller (2018)
Aquaman starring Jason Momoa (2018)
Shazam (2019)
Justice League Part Two directed by Zack Snyder (2019)
Cyborg starring Ray Fisher (2020)
Green Lantern (2020)

"In a press release following Tuijhara’s announcement, Warners noted that the DC slate consisted of “at least” these 10 movies, “as well as standalone Batman and Superman films.” It's worth noting that each of the solo movies feature characters who are currently members of the comic book incarnation of the Justice League, although whether or not the same will be true in their movie incarnations remains unknown (For example, Gal Gadot isn't listed as appearing in the Justice League movie, interestingly enough, but Amy Adams' Lois Lane is).

Outside of the DC properties, the studio will also further explore J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter mythology with three movies to be released in 2016, 2018 and 2020 based on her Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them novella. The first movie, which features Rowling’s screenwriting debut, will be directed by Potter veteran David Yates.

Warners’ Lego plans include three releases over the next four years, starting with the Charlie Bean-directed Ninjago in 2016, followed by The Lego Batman Movie in 2017 (as exclusively revealed by THR last week) and The Lego Movie 2 in 2018."

Quite a line-up, though it still looks like clutching at straws rather than Marvel's super-clear plan that's slowly been opened up and expanded upon with each installment.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » October 15th, 2014, 9:47 pm

Clutching at straws could seem like an understatement. The movies have to succeed at the box-office to justify (I let you decide whether or not pun was intended) such a slate like this. Marvel, specifically Kevin Feige, understood the gamble he was taking by piecing together such a plan towards Avengers so you made sure the focus was on Iron Man and Incredible Hulk before even making official to the public the next set of films. Warner Bros. pretty much needs every film going forward to be big hits or else things will start to fall apart at the seams.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 15th, 2014, 11:00 pm

Lord Akiyama wrote:Clutching at straws could seem like an understatement. The movies have to succeed at the box-office to justify (I let you decide whether or not pun was intended) such a slate like this. Marvel, specifically Kevin Feige, understood the gamble he was taking by piecing together such a plan towards Avengers so you made sure the focus was on Iron Man and Incredible Hulk before even making official to the public the next set of films. Warner Bros. pretty much needs every film going forward to be big hits or else things will start to fall apart at the seams.
And that's before the backlash mindset starts to sink in that, y'know, maybe Zack Snyder was the reason Man of Steel didn't exactly take the Superman canon in the ideal direction? (If you've ever heard a comic-geek fan gush about the "ultimate" movie he'd make of his favorite heroes, Snyder makes them, and they flop.)
Warner's already trying to run away from the Nolan-ization of the heroes, but they've overlooked the OTHER major problem with Legendary DC movies that's keeping them behind their dream of a "Marvel-style universe".

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 16th, 2014, 12:25 am

Hey, I at least am glad they're being ambitious. After years of nothing decent going on except Batnolan, WB is getting majorly invested in a DC movieverse. The 10 year old in me gushes with anticipation. Of course, we have little reason to be optimistic about their quality, but surely at least a couple of these films will be good? Law of averages, and all that?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 16th, 2014, 6:44 am

Actually, Nolan's still involved (on an exec producer level), but as I have confirmed before, Legendary is not. They're out and WB is picking up the tab (and, hopefully for them, the eventual rewards) themselves.

Man Of Steel had enough about it for me to want to see what they do with a "proper" Superman movie...my biggest disappointment is that we won't see one for a while, because it's all about the Justice League from now on. I get that, and admit I'm excited to see what they do with it, but still have the nagging feeling that Superman hasn't had the chance to be established yet, unless they really do devote the first hour or so of BvS to him before Bats comes back.

Speaking of...I still think these films follow the BatNolan films, since Man Of Steel was clearly set in the universe as where Wayne Enterprises' logo was the same, and so it's conceivable that Bruce could be older and come back from his sojourn in Paris as the older Bats. This next film will really tell us if it's a continuation or a soft reboot, but that it's *supposed* to be a sequel to Man Of Steel suggests that these are all basically set in the same world.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » October 17th, 2014, 9:59 pm

So apparently the rumor is there's going to be a female Robin in Dawn of Justice and Jena Malone is the front runner to play her.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 18th, 2014, 8:37 am

Darn it...that's Joe Gordon-Levitt's role! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » October 26th, 2014, 1:56 pm

Reportedly, we'll be getting a trailer for Batman v. Superman: Rise of The Ridiculous Title on the final Hobbit feature in December. The teaser is said to be very heavy on Batman, and not on that homicidal maniac they called Superman in Man of Steel.
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!