DC Universe

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Man of Steel (2013)

Post by ShyViolet » June 26th, 2013, 11:08 am

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 2nd, 2013, 12:09 pm

Christian Bale won't be reprising Batman in the JL movie (if it gets made).

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/07/01/c ... ce-league/
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 2nd, 2013, 9:39 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 10th, 2013, 2:40 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 11th, 2013, 11:28 am

Guillermo Del Toro working on Justice League Dark film:

http://m.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a49 ... verse.html

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » July 11th, 2013, 1:56 pm

Is there anything Guillermo Del Toro isn't working on?

;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 11th, 2013, 2:17 pm

Yeah, Hellboy 3.

Okay, he has tried to get it going, but it looks like it won't happen.

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2 ... -unlikely/

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 12th, 2013, 6:31 am

Although Thomas Tull of Legendary has hinted that's part of the reason he's taking his company to Universal. I think del Toro's recent vocalizing about an H3 is just to get the subject moving again...

I didn't know about his JLD film. Hmmm...seems this may start messing around with keeping things fairly pure and simple for an eventual "true" Justice League film. Personally, I think they're putting too many eggs in one basket before they've had time to build up the roster of characters towards the kind of JL film we really want to see. The Dark characters are all a bit more niche/cult/adult/genre for the kinds of generally casual fans that make these films hits. I'm worried that something like this could put the breaks on before the series proper has even gotten started...

Back to Supes: that post seems to have got it wrong, saying fans can choose between two different versions. It's all one and the same case, with the removable S element revealing the crushed safe image as the background image behind it. You can see that clearly in the "layout" picture that shows the S-box opening up.

I'm not sure if it looks that neat, to be honest, and I say that as a packaging nut. Sometimes these things can be too overdone for their own good. I'll have to wait and see what else is included (paying a higher price for just the same discs in a fancier case is a no-no), but I can't say I loved the film enough to go mad on it, so unless there's some seriously good, exclusive reasons to pick this version up then it'll just be one of the regular BDs for me (and probably not in 3D either).

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 12th, 2013, 9:22 am

I suspect that an actual JLDark film will stay far away from actually calling it that. I suspect the idea of using the DC Vertigo supernatural characters in a movie was percolating before the series was even announced.

I want to love the limited edition MOS set, but will need to see some serious swag included. An unfolding "S" isn't enough.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 12th, 2013, 5:59 pm

Exactly. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 20th, 2013, 1:17 pm

"Superman and Batman" movie to follow MoS?

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/movies/c ... -of-steel/

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 20th, 2013, 8:26 pm

This has been confirmed at Comic Con. Frankly I think they're being greedy and wanting bigger too fast. We need a non-alien invasion, Earth-bound pure-Superman (of Snyder's Man Of Steel variety) film next, so as to embed the character and establish the newly-minted status quo for him and this world. *Then* start to bring in other elements: I'd already suggested a Superman/Batman should come after, followed by a JL movie and individula character spin-offs.

It also sullies the Batman waters: Superman has just basically landed in the Nolanverse, so it should be Bale who plays Bats. I could have bought it more if they'd intro'd the new Batman as part of the new JL ensemble but bringing him in now feels too early and connected to Bale.

Going straight for mixing in other characters into the new Superman series also muddies that before it has had a chance to, erm, fly. The guy has only just been introduced! Let's see him - and us - acclimatise! In some ways, this news has also affected the way I see Man Of Steel: it wasn't a Superman film anyway, but now it seems it wasn't even the first in a Man Of Steel series, just a way to bring him into the Nolanverse so it could be expanded quicker.

Color me disappointed at WB's short-term selling out on these films. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 21st, 2013, 4:40 am

I'm convinced I'm the only OTHER person who still remembers Warner announcing (and then quietly de-announcing, even after a test teaser went viral and the project went overbudget before filming) a Superman vs. Batman film back during the troubled in-between '99-'02 times--
Back when Batman Begins and Superman Returns weren't even glints in the eye yet, and Warner was still smarting from having no Joel Schumacher and failed scripts for JJ Abrams, Kevin Smith and Tim Burton.

Except, of course, for the guy who dug the old memo out of the wastebasket, brushed it off, and tried to make it look current.
The old one was back when Warner had no idea how to get either franchise jumpstarted out of its dead state again, and as for their current state after MoS and the Nolan movies....no comment.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 21st, 2013, 8:39 am

Yes, this was the Wolfgang Petersen project that was kinda supposed-ta launch new Bats and Supes franchises but not create a shared movieverse.

I always thought that sounded pretty good...but waddaIknow!? ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 21st, 2013, 4:14 pm

I remember that short-lived project too.

This quick jump to Supes-Bats seems unfortunate. I would have liked at least one more solo Supes outing to establish the status quo only glimpsed at the end of MOS. Have they no idea of how to proceed without rushing towards Justice League? Kinda sad.

But, I have to admit, it sounds pretty neat too! I look forward to seeing what Goyer and Snyder do with it. Though I had issues with MOS, I still liked it overall.