DC Universe

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: DC Universe

Post by Randall » July 19th, 2023, 10:38 pm

They really had no idea what they were doing.

And explain to me again how saving Flash's mom made Batman a half-foot shorter and 20 years older? (I haven't seen The Flash yet, but if it's anything like the comic, I'm not expecting any real logic.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » July 19th, 2023, 11:49 pm

no spoilers .. but (IMO) the 'in-movie' explanation for how/why the Flash's intervention in time affected events as shown is clever, satisfactory and easy-to-understand.

The movie has a wealth of other story problems .. but that's actually not one of them.

again: IMO :mrgreen:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 20th, 2023, 3:49 am

A superhero putting a baby in a switched on microwave to "save" it was one of the problems it had. Especially as that was played as a "joke". :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » August 27th, 2023, 6:21 pm

Went for cinema day and $4 tickets today with family and niece.

Just got back from beetle. Theatre guys says it's 50% full but it ended up over 80% at our showing. (note it was in one of the smaller theatre rooms) Tons of kids some wearing blue bettlle backpacks the theatre was selling for $18!

As we were leaving it was busy. Most cokes were gone from the self soda machines!

Film was fun. Not toy story 3 or anything but a fun little film. First half did slow down some, however. Picks up in second half. Worth the $4

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » September 14th, 2023, 12:44 pm

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 14th, 2023, 8:07 pm

I know it’s only Aquaman, but this looks boring and silly. And some of those effects…woah… :shock:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 20th, 2023, 7:38 pm

Nicholas Hoult has been cast as Lex Luthor. Good casting! Deserved an iconic role after missing out on the lead. Has good acting chops.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 21st, 2023, 3:58 am

"A movie star was always eyed for this role after Gunn selected fresh face David Corenswet in the title role…"

While Hoult would have been a contender for me as Kal-El, I can’t say he’s "movie star" material. Sure, he’s known to genre fans for a few things, but he’s no Hackman or Spacey-level of "oh, he's in it?" status for "outsiders" coming to this as what will inevitably be the "oh, yet another Superman movie?" reaction.

Which is a little worrying because this film will need to appeal to much more than just the comics crowd and, so far, this casting keeps it all very much in that wheelhouse and doesn’t really offer an "in" for anyone else. Obviously they wanted to keep the ages pretty much in sync, so the earlier rumored Daniel Craig wouldn’t have ultimately fit, but I think they really needed someone on that kind of level, known and praised for their own work, for this to break out more than it feels it will at this point.

Now it’s down to whoever Gunn casts as Perry White and the other superheroes already in existence in this world. Maybe there’s a mentor role or someone who passes the mantle on who could fill this "major movie star" gap for inquisitive comic newbies…?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 9th, 2024, 12:53 am

A friend wanted to see Aquaman 2. I thought, "Really?" But I went with him on Saturday. And...

It was way better than the awful trailer. But if you didn't like the first, I can't see liking the second. Same actors, directors, and tone.

But if you like silly pulp adventure, it's a fun time at the movies. I enjoyed it. No, it's not a Top 10 Superhero Film contender, but it was okay. And okay can be okay sometimes. It had big action, broad characters, and a decent story of brothers finding acceptance and redemption. Forget all the gossip about the making of the film, and enjoy, I say.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 9th, 2024, 3:28 am

Those low bars continue to be easily jumped, eh? ;)

Not even a top 50 superhero film contender from what we heard from two other people who also saw it Saturday. :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 10th, 2024, 12:15 pm

That could be a fair statement, given that we've had maybe 70-90 superhero films. On the other hand, a film out of the Top 50 can still be perfectly enjoyable. And with an Audience Score of 81% at RT, it seems to be liked well enough by those that are going out to see it (assuming the RT voters did actually do that). Sure, critics didn't care for it, but it's not a film for critics. It's a popcorn movie.

Bottom line: Either you'll like a Jason Mamoa/James Wan Aquaman film, or you will not. I think the sequel might actually be stronger than the original, though it offers much of the same.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » January 22nd, 2024, 12:28 pm

Razzies nods are out. Both dc and marvel got nods.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/r ... 7fa4a&ei=8

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 22nd, 2024, 1:29 pm

Glad Indy got noticed for two at least. Deserved more, but then so did Flush! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » January 29th, 2024, 7:02 pm

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 30th, 2024, 3:47 am

Yeah…she’ll do! ;)

As the Sorting Hat once said…