DC Universe

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Man of Steel, Justice League and DC MOVIES

Post by EricJ » March 30th, 2017, 11:30 pm

Randall wrote:Wow. You're kidding me. He hopped off the Marvel train, which was too overbearing for him
Avengers 2 was "too overbearing" for HIM?? Ever think of it the other way around, Joss?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » March 31st, 2017, 1:41 am

I imagine Warner Bros. had been showing him with gifts for years after letting him go from Wonder Woman only for him to turn around and make Avengers in an effort to get him back.

Will be curious to see how he approaches Batgirl. Just as important, which Batgirl. While Babs is the obvious choice (and Whedon directing JK Simmons sounds like a great idea to me), I'd rather like to see him tackle Cassy.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 31st, 2017, 9:59 am

I'm sure DC wil have him use Babs. Not only is she the classic Batgirl, she is the one in her own successful comic right now.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » March 31st, 2017, 10:08 am

No doubt, which is why she'd be the obvious choice. And again, Whedon working with JK Simmons sounds great to me with where they could go with Gordon.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 31st, 2017, 5:04 pm

I think Joss took this as a poke in the eye to Marvel, for taking over Ultron and not giving him more autonomy, especially in developing a Black Widow movie. Nothing like a poke in the eye by joining the other team, though it kind of screams of a kid throwing its toys out of the cot, whatever the publicly released "reasons" are.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 31st, 2017, 7:12 pm

Ben wrote:I think Joss took this as a poke in the eye to Marvel, for taking over Ultron and not giving him more autonomy, especially in developing a Black Widow movie. Nothing like a poke in the eye by joining the other team, though it kind of screams of a kid throwing its toys out of the cot, whatever the publicly released "reasons" are.
So now he'll go over to Warner, where they're MUCH freer about letting the director do what he wants, without studio-franchise interference... :lol:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 31st, 2017, 8:37 pm

Exactly.

Of course, to be fair, Joss did have a relationship with Warner prior, from trying to get Wonder Woman off the ground years ago.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 31st, 2017, 8:57 pm

Whedon always sounded kinda...unreasonable regarding AOU to me. The "nightmares" were apparently the subject of argument, which is why the cave scene was added as a "compromise," but I don't think those dreams were needed in the first place. They were very "Whedon," but not necessarily in a good way. And I speak as someone who loved AOU for the most part.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 20th, 2017, 4:12 pm

This is hysterical! :).

https://youtu.be/WoTt1qtvFUY
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » April 28th, 2017, 1:32 am

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 28th, 2017, 5:59 am

Okay, as a one-time HUUUGE Bob Z fan (I just made Allied my first 4K Blu-ray disc, even though I have been warned it isn't one of his best, which I kinda knew as I didn't bother to go see it but have all his other films so figured I should see it anyway), I'm not sure if this is a good or not so good thing or not.

While it feels cool that Zemeckis could be coming in to helm what will no doubt turn out to be a great, or at least big fun, superhero movie, it kind of feels "beneath him" - if you get my intended meaning - to be coming into someone else's franchise - the DC universe - and pick up the reigns on an already troubled project, and having his hands tied to the work already undertaken.

What I mean is that he's usually the guy that comes in and kickstarts these kinds of franchises, not comes in to rescue them under someone else's auspices. And maybe he's got some fan-obsession with this particular Flash character that we don't know about, but it seems Zemeckis would be better suited to a bigger Marvel character type film than where DC is currently positioned, although I don't know how frosty (or not) his relations may be with Disney these days.

Now, it's true that after a run of only so-so box-office (The Walk is a fantastic and overlooked gem), BZ does need some kind of moderate to massive smash hit, and this is the kind of material that would deliver that for him. So it may just be that he's on the lookout for something that would be a suitable enough fit in this sphere and his agent has got him in for Flash talks.

Of course, WB may not even run with him on this, but while it may turn out to be a very cool and unexpected movie, there's something to me that, still as a big fan, still doesn't quite fit for me. Of course, the last real time he went out as purely a director for hire (so that he could get a hit to get Back To The Future made), we got Romancng The Stone, so the stars could align and everything could turn out fine...but I'm not quite feeling the Zemeckis/DC connection here as strong as I should be, I guess.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » April 28th, 2017, 3:15 pm

Zemeckis' "great" 80's movies usually had Bob Gale on the screenplay, or at least, in Romancing's case, started with the screenplay.
By the time he got to Roger Rabbit, though, he was a little kid playing with any technical toy he could find, and directing like a little kid. "Real cartoons" became letting Forrest Gump shake hands with JFK, and then using that new computer-generated strobe-3D for a whole Christmas movie, and...that started the CGI. The rest is, um, history.

Right now, with Allied and Flight, he's sort of on audience probation, after being released from the loony bin after Disney shut down the CGI-mocap factory (and having seen Christmas Carol, I very much do mean "Loony bin" :shock: ), but he's still sort of wandering around in search of a directorial style without Gale. He wants to do more drama, but he's at the mercy of seeing that little kid break loose again and give us more Self-Indulgent Fun if someone doesn't keep him in check.
And if Warner's starting to grab Any Name Director They Can Find to rescue DC's "art" image without Zack Snyder, they're not going to be holding any leashes too tightly.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » May 16th, 2017, 4:21 pm

Half the movie to be reshot? Mad max fury road did to and it's turned out great so cross your fingers.

http://www.slashfilm.com/justice-league-reshoots-rumor/

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 16th, 2017, 7:02 pm

Would love to be on the set to see how reshoots go...word from a friend of mine on the main shoot was that everyone hated each other by the end! It's actually estimated that there is only forty percent of the film to redo (approx 60 pages) and most of this is scene extensions and alternate versions, not so much a whole story change.

Sounds like the tone was in flux and the first cut too long and/or as incoherent as BVS. Warners are kacking their pants that WW does well, although that has its own issues too, with another extended cut on the cards after the initial theatrical release.

As a fan of the directors, I'm hoping Bob Zemeckis (especially) and Sam Raimi take a pass on The Flash...and Disney dodge a bullet!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 22nd, 2017, 7:20 pm

Snyder has left JL following his daughter's suicide:

http://deadline.com/2017/05/justice-lea ... 202100366/

Horrible. :(
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."