The Prophet

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

The Prophet

Post by Dan » January 11th, 2015, 11:34 pm

During the Golden Globes, Salma Hayek presented the Best Animated Feature award with Kevin Hart. The announcer noted that Hayek was producing a forthcoming animated feature called The Prophet.

Looking it up, The Prophet is based on the well-regarded book by Kahlil Gibran published in the 1920s that collects up to 26 prose poetry essays exploring life and the human condition. Roger Allers (The Lion King) wrote the screenplay and serves as primary director, overseeing segments directed by others including Tomm Moore (The Secret of Kells), The Brizzi Brothers (The Firebird Suite in Fantasia 2000), Bill Plympton (Your Face), and others.

In addition to producing the film, Hayek is also part of the voice cast that includes Liam Neeson, John Krasinski, Alfred Molina, and Frank Langella. A work in progress of the film was shown at the 2014 Cannes Film Festival before it was shown in full at the Toronto International Film Festival. I believe Hayek is currently looking for studios to distribute the film more widely.

The following is a clip featuring Liam Neeson:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: The Prophet

Post by Ben » January 12th, 2015, 5:25 am

Well I would guess the Brizzis directed that sequence, due to the way it's staged, but it's an interesting CG/hand-shaded hybrid look. Not the best incarnation of this process I have seen, but it does a pretty good job of capturing the traditional feel even if it is a little too "polished".