AV Forum Member

Re: Indiana Jones And The New Disney Movies Thread

Post by Daniel » June 27th, 2023, 3:57 pm

New poster:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 27th, 2023, 4:59 pm

"If adventure has a name it must be Indiana Jones and the dial of destiny" doesn’t make sense. At least the logo isn’t so wonked…

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 28th, 2023, 2:34 pm

Featurette:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 28th, 2023, 3:01 pm

Ford just looks SO unhappy. :|
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 28th, 2023, 8:08 pm

Still having trouble seeing PW-B as Lara Croft…

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 29th, 2023, 1:07 am

Drew Struzan has been on social media, saying he loved the new Indy film.

For what that's worth.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » June 29th, 2023, 1:33 am

"If adventure has a name, it must be Indiana Jones" was a tagline on one of the Temple of Doom movie posters. It feels kinda 'cheap' to see it re-used on the Dial of Destiny poster, above. :|

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 29th, 2023, 5:34 am

Exactly, and at least you actually used the comma that they also missed out on the new poster.

They’d have been better off using another older poster tag, "The return of the great adventure", and maybe added "again", or "for the final time".

It’s a shame Drew (not Droo!) didn’t like it enough to do one last poster… ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » June 30th, 2023, 4:12 am

Just saw it, and enjoyed it!

way, wayyyy better than KotCS .. (though, I know that's a low bar). :wink:

Shades of Lupin the Third: The First, throughout .. if you enjoyed one, you'd probably like the other..! :mrgreen:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 3rd, 2023, 10:06 am

Oh, Droo… :( ;)

There are only three Indiana Jones Indy movies.

Apart from the "wrong" kind of title, they didn’t even get the Paramount logo right. :(

*Such* missed opportunities, I gave up counting how many… :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 3rd, 2023, 11:08 am

Neverthess, we're seeing it today! We just couldn't pass it up. If nothing else, it is likely our last chance to hear a Johnny Williams score in the cinema.

I shall report back.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 3rd, 2023, 11:17 am

Apparently that’s why he reversed his decision on retiring after this one. He didn’t want it to be his last score. Hopefully one last El Spielbergo to come, so you should get another chance!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 3rd, 2023, 5:58 pm

:D

Forget about the slant of the logo or any other piddly concerns. Just go and enjoy it! My wife and I loved the film. We both misted up twice at the end - first, with a tender final scene, and again when the Indy theme came up for an encore over the credits. Realizing that could be my last time enjoying a new Williams score at the cinema (we shall see!), and certainly his last Indy one, I got emotional. It's a good one, too! The rest of the film, we were thrilled and enthralled by all the terrific action and adventure. This film is WORTHY! That opening sequence alone ranks with the best in the series. And the de-aging is indeed great.

Is the film perfect? No. I have lots of criticisms in regards to the plot. But most of that can be forgiven if one considers this is meant to be pulp, with all the silliness that goes with that. Really, once the McGuffin of the title actually becomes an active plot point... it's a little too much. If you had trouble accepting the interdimensional beings in the fourth one, just wait for this one's finale! But it's all in good fun, and in the end made for a satisfying (if far-fetched) finish. My wife loved it all unconditionally, and I just went with it.

This is, for the most part, the final Indy film we deserved and wanted. At any rate, heed Droo's statement that at least it's much better than Crystal Skull (which I really didn't mind - take that as you will). I wasn't sure the "perfect ending" was really earned, but it was so nice, I decided not to care.

Enjoy it first, and nitpick later if you must. ;)

We were so glad we went to see it. Believe it or not, it was my first Indy movie in a theatre! I was late coming to the franchise - which is maybe why I have not held it on as high a pedestal as some; but I am happy I was there for the end.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 4th, 2023, 4:18 am

No, no, no… ;)

The de-aging is pretty ropey. Seeing it big completely looked like a videogame for me. His face actually wobbles about on his head. It’s so close, but it’s not right.

And Williams' "score" is just a bunch of notes. When it’s good, it’s when he’s actually quoting himself in last Indy scores, such as during the WWII bit. Waller-Bridge's music is actually so close to Tintin that it may as well have just tracked Tintin in there. The rest of it doesn’t have any "themes" to speak of. And the end fanfare? Yes, it plays at the beginning of the credits, albeit a bit slower and lacking some life. And then we just get slower music, which is fine, but no reprise right at the end, as every other film has had, and I was hoping for as indeed a "last" hurrah, so that it fades out and the end-end on the "ba ba ba ba baaahh" that the others do, and this one really needed. Instead, the score just feebles away and just slows down and runs out…not a very fitting end.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » July 6th, 2023, 7:40 pm

Independent film Sound of Freedom beats Indy on 4th of July