Mulan (Live-action remake)

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Mulan (Live-action remake)

Post by Ben » April 1st, 2015, 7:02 pm

There's obviously the chance if Jungle Book is big enough that he'll get to make that next, but I do think Disney is going to win this race (and not just because of timing).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vernadyn » April 1st, 2015, 8:53 pm

I felt like Mulan was at its best when it was epic--the opening, the Hun charge and avalanche, the burned out village. Shan Yu was a pretty brutal villain as well--the fact that his most bloodthirsty acts took place off-screen almost made it more horrific. And Goldsmith did nail it with his score; I can think of few (if any) composers today who could approach the quality of what he was able to accomplish. The finale of the film is actually relatively small-scale, but you wouldn't know it from listening to the score (especially when the fireworks go off and when everyone bows to Mulan).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 29th, 2019, 3:17 pm

A few details. A phoenix might replace Mushu? That would be a shame. :(

While music is carried over from the animated film, the cast will not sing the songs, opting instead for just instrumentals... mixed feelings there. On the one hand the songs were one of the most memorable parts of the original. On the other, if this is going to be more epic I can understand the reasoning. It would certainly differentiate itself from the animated version.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 30th, 2019, 12:13 am

Daniel wrote:
June 29th, 2019, 3:17 pm
A few details. A phoenix might replace Mushu? That would be a shame. :(
It's designed for the Chinese market ('cause it sure ain't designed for THIS one...), and China wasn't happy about Mushu the last time.

Besides, Disney already used up their Will Smith allotment.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 30th, 2019, 12:24 pm

Going by what's rumored, this is what we might get in vein of songs:

It's nice, but you can't help but insert the lyrics! You know what would be cool? If they were to adapt the extended cut of Reflection:

Different yet similar. Always thought it was beautiful. Even has more of a epic-ness vibe.

Keepings songs didn't really help Aladdin, and removing songs didn't really help Cinderella, so... middle ground?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » July 7th, 2019, 2:14 pm

Teaser is up. Looks real good so far.

Been watching some of the reaction videos and there are a couple folks who were crying with excitement.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 7th, 2019, 2:28 pm

Looks like we watched it at about the same time. I really liked it. This is one live action adaptation I can get behind. Unlike more magical stories, and as much as I love the original, I think the new film has a chance to be as good or better.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 7th, 2019, 3:41 pm

Here it is:

It does look promising so far. The cinematography is stunning. Liked the little throwbacks to the original. Actress seems ok, though maybe could emote more?

So... Little Sister? Instead of a dog, with the name "Little Brother", maybe they actually gave her a real sibling? That would actually be pretty cool. Different from the Disney version and from the Mulan legend -- she supposedly had a slightly younger brother. I could see some benefits.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 7th, 2019, 5:43 pm

According to Variety, you ain't seen changes yet:
She DOESN'T fall in love with Li Shang (who isn't him anyway), as that would be disrespectful, but falls for another one of her fellow recruits.
Also, the Hun/Mongols confusion of the first movie is cleared up, and "Gong Li portrays a powerful witch", who, we assume, is a more central villain than Shan Yu.

TL;DR version: They don't freakin' care, so long as they can sell it to China without political objections (ahemzootopia). And seems like it's only the budget that got it shown here at all.
I'll believe it when I see this elephant fly.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 8th, 2019, 12:37 pm

Last I heard, Li Shang isn't even in the remake. That is a bummer, wonder how they will go about it. Slightly intrigued by the new twist, training side by side and hanging out, I could see how she falls for a fellow recruit. On the surface, it sounds more realistic. They would be equals in a sense, not commanding officer/warrior in training. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 8th, 2019, 5:31 pm

Daniel wrote:
July 8th, 2019, 12:37 pm
Last I heard, Li Shang isn't even in the remake. That is a bummer, wonder how they will go about it. Slightly intrigued by the new twist, training side by side and hanging out, I could see how she falls for a fellow recruit. On the surface, it sounds more realistic. They would be equals in a sense, not commanding officer/warrior in training. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Presumably another concession to The State:
Historically, Mulan was caught and executed for her deception, and China wouldn't have looked kindly on Li Shang overlooking his duties and responsibilities once he did know.

There are so many reasons here why Hollywood just SHOULDN'T try to woo Communist countries for capitalist bucks.
That time in the 70's we tried to make "The Blue Bird" with Soviet Russia would be another.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 8th, 2019, 8:31 pm

There are many variations of Mulan's story. One version has Mulan revealing herself to the army and rather than punish, they admire her because of her skills and bravery. From what we're shown, looks as though Disney may be borrowing from that one since we see her fighting the invading army with her hair down.

Also looks like she's already skilled in martial arts before joining up, which is also from one of the original stories.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 17th, 2019, 3:54 pm

Evidently, Chinese people are upset that Mushu is NOT in the remake. Huh, who'd a thunk it? ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 17th, 2019, 5:42 pm

“Mushu is not in Mulan” may be trending, but who's to say that's not a celebratory remark? Not much context there. But even looking at the posts, opinion is divided. (And, always keep in mind that the naysayers speak more loudly than others.)

Regardless, I also was not aware that anyone claimed that Chinese people would be happy, sad, or ambivalent about Mushu. Likely, there are (as always) a variety of opinions on the subject. Personally, I'm happy to see a "remake" that isn't a slavish remake. If a film is kept "cartoony," then what's the point of doing a new version?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 17th, 2019, 11:47 pm

I'd argue that things like including the songs are helpful to keeping the remakes uniquely "Disney." There was already a live-action Mulan movie made in China not long ago, and it looks fairly similar to this (it also appears that they're definitely going for a PG-13 rating here).

And I did like the trailer. But I also worry that Disney is "catering to China's demands" here, which means that Mulan is no longer allowed to be clumsy or prone to mistakes or "human" as she was in Disney's version. China is ridiculously strict when it comes to how they "portray" themselves, to the point where Kung Fu Panda--which was immensely popular there--couldn't be made in the country in which it takes place because Po was fat.

It's worth nothing that Mulan II--which makes fun of certain aspects of Chinese history--was banned in China, and that the original Mulan was banned for a long time as revenge against Disney for releasing the drama Kundun (which takes a decidedly pro-Tibet stand).
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."